News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

The "Goldilocks" restoration thread

Started by ptashek, 28 March 2014, 07:56 AM

ptashek

Quote from: karmann_20v on 14 October 2017, 02:49 PM
I wonder if Bosch discontinued this part, I remember most of the online part sources that I check frequently had many of them in stock. They are still available, but not all suppliers have leftover stock. Is it time to jump in and buy one just in case?

I can't vouch for availability, but the part certainly looks like a recent batch. I'd say, they're not an "endangered species" in the catalogue.

QuoteAlso did you get the Czech made one from the MB dealer?

Yes, I bought it from a reputable main dealer in Germany, one I have used extensively during the restoration.
The part was delivered in a "Mercedes-Benz Original Teile" cardboard box, with all the expected, branded part number stickers etc.

I too was surprised it's not a Bosch part, but there was nothing about it externally that would suggest low quality. It fits perfect, works well too.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

ptashek

Winter is coming. Well, Irish winter, i.e. even less sun and more rain than usual. That doesn't make for great driving weather, so it's off-season maintenance time.

I've flushed the cooling system, and filled it with pre-mixed Comma Xstream G48 coolant (MB 325.0 approved), then decided to see what all the fuss of using 20W-50 oil is about, and filled the engine with Liqui Moly Touring High Tech, replacing the oil filter along the way too. I've been very satisfied with oil consumption in the V8 so far (i.e. not a drop over ~7000km!), and the stuff that comes out the engine at each interval is rather clean, like this:

Next item on my to-do list: full rebuild of the spare heat exchanger and blower box from the parts stash. I've taken it all apart for now, and will need to give all the pieces a good clean - the PO of my 350 was a chain smoker, and there's literally half a millimetre layer of thick, oily, cigarette smelling crap on every inside surface of the blower box. Never mind the entirely disintegrate foam flap seals.

ptashek

Goldie has had her 2-year warranty checkup and rustproofing top up this week,  which was a condition to get the extended 3-year no mileage limit warranty. The entire underside and all wheel houses where pressure steam cleaned, then "baked" in a paint booth for a couple days and ultimately topped up with an extra 4kg of the same protective stuff that went in post-resto. All nooks and crannies, including hollow sections, doors and door pillars got done.

She got a full bill of health, and nothing less was expected :)

One thing I won't be doing again though is using 20W-50 oil. My M117 never used a drop of oil between change intervals when driven on 10W-40 and 15W-40. This time it burned nearly a litre of the stuff over less than half the interval (2500km). I'm going back to synthetic in lighter grades.

We're driving back home today - another trip of 2000km with nearly a thousand on the Autobahn :)

saffronrobes

I've just read through this entire thread with complete fascination, and all I can say is just WOW! Amazing job and a stunning stunning car at the end. I hope you're enjoying it 4 years later.

I am about to begin a similar restoration of my '84 380SL and I am inspired by your project. Currently checking out restorers here in Poland.

Adrian

ptashek

Thanks! It's hard to believe, bit it's been almost six years now, actually.

I haven't driven the car as much as I'd like to in that time, mostly due to lack of time and then not being able to travel due to the pandemic. And to be honest I enjoy both my S124s much more these days (such fantastic cars!)

Good luck with your project! Poland has a good classic restoration industry going, and the quality of work is usually superb.

gurrier

This is where being a member of W116.org pays dividends  A very impressive achievement indeed ptashek- many helpful insights which help bolster someone trying to rescue an early example from the crusher. 
1973 350SE

floyd111

He Lukas,

I just wanted to re-browse your Goldilocks pics, but they seem gone?

Maybe you could re-post some of them, especially the ones taken when you finished the job..
Would love to have another look.

ptashek

Quote from: floyd111 on 27 September 2023, 09:51 AMHe Lukas,

I just wanted to re-browse your Goldilocks pics, but they seem gone?

Maybe you could re-post some of them, especially the ones taken when you finished the job..
Would love to have another look.

Hey Stan, if you DM me your email address and I'll reshare the folder. I've removed most of the public shares as a few enterprising workshops stole the photos and presented them as their work.