News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

The "Goldilocks" restoration thread

Started by ptashek, 28 March 2014, 07:56 AM

ptashek

I have cabrio.de stating on record they can ship RHD carpet sets, but they're not listed anywhere on their site. You have to request one specifically. Same pricing as for LHD - 347EUR + VAT (as of Aug 2015), in fine velour with sound proofing foam backing.

I've bought one, and will report on quality / fit as soon as it arrives at the restorer and they get a chance to check it against the existing set.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

slfan

Ptashek,

MB-Tex is definitely much more resistant than leather.  Unfortunately, if I stick 100% to originality, my car (a 6.9) was never offered with MB-Tex and would need to go with either leather or Velour (if it were available).  As the body and paint service should only be complete at the beginning of next year, I still have some time to think about this.

Be the way, please maintain us informed of your restoration:  this post is extremely interesting.

Best regards,

Slfan
1978 - 450SEL 6.9 - 3170
1978 - 450SEL 6.9 "Parts Car" - 2973

ptashek

A few more pics from the mechanical front.
Click on each pic for full-res glory ;)

Diff and transmission after basic service, cleaning and painting.
Transmission got new input and output shaft seals, new filter and pan gasket.
The diff was stripped from 36 years of grime and re-painted.

And if you've ever wondered how the timing setup looks like, check below.
Things done here (the pic is from before all that was done):
- all new gears
- timing box and shaft seals
- chain and tensioner
- all guides

slfan

Ptashek,

Great pics and, once again, congratulations on the progress. 

Regards,
Slfan
1978 - 450SEL 6.9 - 3170
1978 - 450SEL 6.9 "Parts Car" - 2973

floyd111

Every time I see your next post, I feel like I need to do more! That is what my difff and trans should look like!
How about all the parts you describe having replaced? Are those all available from MB still?
I WOULD love a parts list, linked to those 2 jobs.. If you have kept one?

gavin116

Hi Lucas

The car's mechanicals are coming along nicely.  I bet there are still quite a few components to be refurbished.  Are you going to do any plating in the engine bay? 

Tell me, are those russet coloured timing chain guides the new ones, I always thought they were a white/ivory colour?  As I understand it, the guides are very cheap from M-B, and it's better to stick with the originals.  According to legend (and ? Kent of MercedesSource), aftermarket guides tend to fail.  Worth checking with the guy's doing the work, as a failure here would be catastrophic for Goldilocks.  This is the thing that worries me most about Mrs W, is timing chain failure  :'( .

You must not forget to get the guys to change those two hoses you can see that are now exposed.  I remember buying that large hose, it was astonishingly eye-wateringly expensive, that goes from the engine block to the water-pump.  I have held mine back until we do this job, then I will swap it over.  At the same time, they should replace the hose clamps if they are shot, but with the type that doesn't pitch the hose (I just bought mine from M-B).  I didn't realise that there was a second smaller hose there...

As always, looking forward to your next instalment,

Gavin
1979 450SE "Mrs White"
2022 Touareg-R 3.0TSi Hybrid
[url="http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/my-first-w116-here-at-last/"]http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/my-first-w116-here-at-last/[/url]
[url="http://forum.w116.org/the-org/british-near-london-meet/msg97613/#msg97613"]http://forum.w116.org/the-org/british-near-london-meet/msg97613/#msg97613[/url]

ptashek

Quote from: floyd111 on 02 September 2015, 09:05 PM
Every time I see your next post, I feel like I need to do more! That is what my difff and trans should look like!
How about all the parts you describe having replaced? Are those all available from MB still?
I WOULD love a parts list, linked to those 2 jobs.. If you have kept one?

All the parts, except the oil pump chain guide are listed in the parts list I've sent you a while back. I'll make it all public once the project needs no more parts. Maybe I'll even publish the entire cost plan, but I'm not yet decided on that.

Back in 2012, or it might have been 2013, these were all available from MB, but I bought mine (OEM) from autohausaz.com. All in all, it turned out to be a much cheaper deal than buying from the UK, or even Germany, excluding shipping for which I've managed to pay nothing.

ptashek

QuoteThe car's mechanicals are coming along nicely.  I bet there are still quite a few components to be refurbished.  Are you going to do any plating in the engine bay? 

Actually, not that many. The tranny was rebuilt about 16k miles ago, but it made sense to have the seals refreshed just for the sake of it. Nothing else will be done here. The engine, likewise, needs no work beyond the timing elements, valve cover gaskets, new ignition leads and distributor parts. The entire front and rear suspension, including wheel bearings and rotors,  I've done myself before the restoration started. Mechanically, there is little to be done, which is a testament to the quality of those cars.

As for plating, yes every nut, bolt and bracket that doesn't need replacing will be cleaned and re-plated in gold. I can't wait to see the end result combined with the gold exterior :)

QuoteTell me, are those russet coloured timing chain guides the new ones, I always thought they were a white/ivory colour?
Those are the old ones. The new ones are indeed all semi-white.

QuoteAs I understand it, the guides are very cheap from M-B, and it's better to stick with the originals.
I haven't bought mine from MB, but they're OEM; chain as well.
And yeah, they're cheap in the grander scheme of a project like this.

You must not forget to get the guys to change those two hoses you can see that are now exposed.  I remember buying that large hose, it was astonishingly eye-wateringly expensive, that goes from the engine block to the water-pump.  I have held mine back until we do this job, then I will swap it over.  At the same time, they should replace the hose clamps if they are shot, but with the type that doesn't pitch the hose (I just bought mine from M-B).  I didn't realise that there was a second smaller hose there...

Well, I did not even think about that bit. Drat.
I'll get them to do it. Thanks for the tip!

Can that hose not be simply substituted with an off-the-shelf, re-inforced automotive hose?
Is there something special in how it's constructed, like a distancing lip or something on the inside?

gavin116

Mmm, Lucas

Nothing special about that hose MN 900271 042012, just made from platinum...

;D ;D ;D
1979 450SE "Mrs White"
2022 Touareg-R 3.0TSi Hybrid
[url="http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/my-first-w116-here-at-last/"]http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/my-first-w116-here-at-last/[/url]
[url="http://forum.w116.org/the-org/british-near-london-meet/msg97613/#msg97613"]http://forum.w116.org/the-org/british-near-london-meet/msg97613/#msg97613[/url]

floyd111

42 euros for that hose is not that expensive, but it really looks like a very simple, straight hose. In that way it seems very costly indeed!

ptashek

Quote from: floyd111 on 03 September 2015, 05:45 PM
42 euros for that hose is not that expensive, but it really looks like a very simple, straight hose. In that way it seems very costly indeed!

The two hoses cost 140EUR combined. 
That's 17.5EUR per centimeter of rubber... nuts!

floyd111

What's the other hose's part number?

s class

The 42mm ID hose is sold by MB by the metre, which is why it ends up expensive.  However, I strongly recommend you use this proper MB stuff, aftermarket hose deteriorates pretty quickly, and its a real bastard to get in there again to replace that hose. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

ptashek

Quote from: s class on 07 September 2015, 02:52 AM
The 42mm ID hose is sold by MB by the metre, which is why it ends up expensive.  However, I strongly recommend you use this proper MB stuff, aftermarket hose deteriorates pretty quickly, and its a real bastard to get in there again to replace that hose.

Thanks for the tip.
I suspect though that any modern OEM hose should do just fine, and will be reasonably priced.

ptashek

Some fresh pics from today.

Paint prep is going well.

Some freshly plated parts.

Engine with new chain, gears and guides installed.