News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Woodruff Key

Started by marku, 20 October 2014, 08:10 AM

marku

Any one happen to know the part number for the Woodruff key that fits the end of the M117.983 crankshaft? That's the one that holds the bottom timing chain sprocket and the hub for the damper and pulley. Reason being that having had the hub off I managed to damage the key by misaligning it when refitting. The one I got sent from MB is wrong much narrower, shorter and square cut the original being slightly longer, wider and more important the underneath is chamfered so it fits the radius in the ends of the slots and allows it to sit lower and more tight. I have not been able to find any key like it as they are all square cut. If I can't I will have to have one made no doubt at great expense and all because I was to quick in reassembling.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

Greg

This is the part number from EPC;  A108 991 0067
What did MB give you?

Greg
W108 280SE  (1970)
W108 280SE  (1971)
W116 280SE  (1977)

marku

Thanks for that - they have come back to me and admitted their mistake and promised to resupply. I have made a point of not quoting part numbers to them when ordering as it is then their responsibility to get it right. Its fortunate that they will accept a description as where I used to get parts from would do nothing without the part number, wanted payment up front, and if I got it wrong I was stuck with it. Any way thanks again for looking it up, there are two numbers on the packet 3004-7885-0 which is given as location and N 006888 004002 Woodruff Key. Neither seems to be a part number to me so will see what is on the replacement.

marku

Now got the replacement key from MB. Yes the part number is A108 991 00 67. Why they sent me the other is not explained. The wrong key cost pennies but the new one is four time the price and you have to buy 3. I doubt if I will ever need the other two so if anyone has a requirement I have two spares.

Type17

N 006888 004002 is a valid part number (although obviously wrong for the M117) - modern replacement parts for classics, and relatively generic parts that will fit many different applications in most areas of the vehicle are given such numbers, e.g. an M8 bolt with 20mm shaft and 10mm hex head has hundreds of applications across the entire MB range, so it would be a bit strange to have a part number on it from the first model it was used on (e.g. a 1940's model).

We restored a W113 (1969 280SL, now for sale in London) during this year, and about 20% of the parts we needed had N nnnnnn nnnnnn part numbers, rather than A113 nnn nn nn ones, even though some of those parts were unique to the W113.
'76 350SE in Silver-Green

marku

I suppose its understandable as an effort by MB to minimise costs but the more work I do on the 116 the more it seems to be a real collection of parts from all sorts of vehicles. Thought it was launched as a major  new design when it would seem that much of it is cosmetic. Not that it has any effect on my enthusiasm for the 116.

Type17

All MB models have loads of parts from other models, both from before the model in question (e.g. 108 parts that migrated to the 116) and from later models, where parts were superseded (e.g. today, many part numbers for the 116 actually begin 126 or 124).

I remember seeing a 113 part (I forget which one) on EPC that had started out as a 113 part, but had been superseded by a 123, then a 124, and then a 201 part...

marku

Of course but why if they are the same part are they given a new number if it simply moves forward to the new model? Shouldn't the old one continue and wouldn't that be easier? On some it appears they do as the key which I had so much trouble getting is 108. All part of the confusing MB numbering system I suppose like the model numbers. No doubt I will now be told that there is some logic to that but it escapes me.

Type17

There isn't much logic, but some reasons might be that individual parts get revised as failures come to light, or they may start getting them from a different supplier, and they want to differentiate between the two suppliers' versions.

Also, the descriptions seem to be transliterated (rather than translated) straight from German, and they often change inexplicably: One item, a rubber gasket for under a boot lock, started out with one part number and the description "seal", then was superseded by a different number with the description "gasket", and then changed again to a third number with the description "pad" - the part itself was the same all along...

marku

Yes recently got replacement seals that go between the brake fluid reservoir and the master cylinder. At least they started out as seals but when they arrived they were termed bushes. Still I suppose we should not complain. MB can call the parts anything they like as we are fortunate in a manufacturer that is prepared to support previous models. I think that they must be the only one? I know that some years ago I started to restore a 1948 Jaguar. No parts available no body panels which I had to have made to my own drawings as the originals had just about disintegrated.