News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

Xenon conversion?

Started by Brian Crump, 20 February 2007, 09:47 PM

Brian Crump

Has anyone done a Xenon headlamp conversion? I'm thinking about it for the 450SE. Any comments?
Regards,
Brian

WGB

I have them on my new ML 500 complete with the level control and cornering function.

They are good lights but not as good as the press would lead you to believe - underwhelmed (Considering the hype) is the word I would use.

I would imagine the power supplies and mods would be expensive and not convinced the cost would be worth the benefit.

Bill

Mforcer

Why not LEDs? They would not require any altering of the headlights and could allow for brighter globes as they run cooler than the traditional globes.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Brian Crump

LEDs? Tell me more? I don't know about this?
Regards,
BC

Mforcer

Don't tempt me BC! :D

I really don't know which headlight globes will fit at the moment but a quick google search revealed http://www.superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html or for our Australian viewers http://www.ledshoponline.com/automotive_leds.htm.

I believe LED to be much cooler (temperature wise, not just 8) ) than traditional bulbs and could be used in all vehicle lighting applications including the centre console and instrument cluster. They also last a very, very long time compared to traditional bulbs.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Papalangi

I personally don't care for Xenons.  The glare and odd color distract me.

In the States, you need to think about DOT regulations when converting tail and side marker lamps.  If they are not approved devices and you have an accident it could be a bad thing.  Having said that, I often think about converting to LEDs.

Michael
'83 300SD, I'm back!  It's the son's new car (12/2020)
1976 450SEL, 116.033  Sold it to buy a '97 Crown Vic.  Made sense at the time.
1971 250C, 114.023
1976 280C
1970 250/8

Des

The major benefit for using LED's in lights, especially the tail lights is they last a lot longer, basically the life of the average car, and they come on quicker, like a few hundredths of a seconds quicker, you might laugh and say big deal!

Actually Mercedes has tested it and found that this tiny time difference does save lives. I know they have been pushing the Americans to allow cars with led taillights in, don't know if they have it yet. They were rejected at one point, even though they worked out they would save like 2000 lives a year.

interesting stuff indeed.

Papalangi

High end cars do have LED tail lights and I've heard roumer that there is a producton car with LED headlights.  It's easy to find replacement LED tail light bulbs but very few of them are DOT approved.

Then again, it's the same DOT that mandated poorly designed sealed beam headlamps rather than the much better headlamps you guys get.

Here is an interesting and semi-scientific review of replacement lamps,
http://www.overboost.com/print.asp?id=102

I loike the looks of the Cibie CSR  from,
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html

Michael
'83 300SD, I'm back!  It's the son's new car (12/2020)
1976 450SEL, 116.033  Sold it to buy a '97 Crown Vic.  Made sense at the time.
1971 250C, 114.023
1976 280C
1970 250/8

BAR

There are replacement units for the H4 globes: Hella 12V 55W cool blue
Publicity says - The light produced by Hella's cool blue Premium xenon halogen globes is more similar to daylight compared tot he light of conventional halogen globes. This results in the driver gaining increased night time peripheral vision. Promoting higher concentration and attention to road markings and signage, objects, traffic situations ahead - affectively reducing eye-strain and driver fatigue.

There are a few units from which to choose:

XDB1260/55BL2 - H4 Premium Xenon - Cool Blue 60/55 Watts Twin Pack

XDP1260/55BL2 -  H4 Premium Xenon - 30% Brighter White Light 60/55 Watts Twin Pack

and the one I'd choose are:
XDX1260/55BL2 -  H4 Premium Xenon - 50% Brighter White Light 60/55 Watts Twin Pack

Now off to your nearest Hella stockist!

Vad El

Quote from: Brian Crump on 20 February 2007, 09:47 PM
Has anyone done a Xenon headlamp conversion? I'm thinking about it for the 450SE. Any comments?

I know something because have a many good friends on local tunung-station many years.
Bi-Xenon is not good for old usual headlamps (like old Mercedes). Tuning-station not guarantee this covnersion. Not recommended. Technical problems with aftermarket bi-xenon.
If automobile have a TWO lamps (one for low beam, one for high beam) - its good, working, guarantee for three years. More light, but you must to find CORRECT (its very important) xenon kit for Your lamps. "Hella" xenon kits are highly recommended. No modification for headlamps! Correct xenon kits and correct lamps. Old bulb out, xenon bulb in.
Mercedes-Benz W116 450SEL '1979, armoured by Ernesto Pavesi S.p.a Milan Italia
Chrysler Crossfire "Limited" 3.2 Roadster '2006