News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Test Drive / Re: My 6.9's
Last post by rumb - 01 April 2024, 04:52 PM
Partial improvement.  Trying to bleed air out of system. Got corner to go up about half way so far.  Will rinse and repeat a few more times.

After I turn engine off and bounce corner you can hear fluid (and probably air) sort of squealing as it travels thru system. I doubt just fluid would make noises like that.

My car is earlier without the bleed screws in the system.
Mechanicals / Re: Revs too high
Last post by Magyar - 01 April 2024, 04:25 PM
Quote from: Max-NL on 01 April 2024, 09:04 AMIs it a manual transmission, or an automatic transmission?
it's an auto 1975 280se
Last post by raueda1 - 01 April 2024, 12:47 PM
Quote from: Magyar on 31 March 2024, 07:18 PMHi I have a mercedes 280 s e and when I drive 110 km/h the revs are at 40000, this seems too high, why are the revs so high??

Thanks
Unless you have installed a turbine engine I'm guessing you meant 4000 rpm?  Gear ratios are HERE.  You can calculate rpm and speed.  Regardless, as an order of magnitude guess, it sounds like you're in 2nd gear.  Or maybe third.  You'd need to do the math to be exact. 
Last post by rumb - 01 April 2024, 10:34 AM
MB has long designed engines that run all day at 4K rpm.  This increases fuel economy as well as stays in power range.  Compared to lazy american cars that run at 1500 rpm this seems odd to those not used to it.

PS put your  car in your signature and then it will always be visible to everyone.
Last post by Max-NL - 01 April 2024, 09:04 AM
Is it a manual transmission, or an automatic transmission?
Mechanicals / Re: Over heating m110 engine
Last post by Magyar - 01 April 2024, 12:25 AM
Quote from: Randys01 on 30 March 2024, 01:02 AMAs a   rule of thumb  the "indicated temp" should be about 55C more than the ambient temp.
Now this has a bit of tolerance but no more than 10 % . So at 30 deg C  it should be reading 85Deg C.
Now in heavy traffic on a hot day with a/c on she might creep up to 90s. As soon as you get moving the temp should drop back a bit.
Get yourself a thermal infrared gun and take some temperatures. Make sure what you are seeing on the gauge is largely validated by an actual temp reading.

I find the most interesting is the actual return to the water pump [bottom radiator hose]  and  where the temp sender unit resides. [cyl head ]

There are many reasons an engine can run hot...not just a Merc.. but they all come back to the same thing..........is every part serviceable?
Slipping drive belt..worn waterpump..crud in the radiator..timing out..mixture out..blocked fins in the radiator...dodgey thermostat...blocked radiator hose/s..system properly bled....leaks in the system...brakes dragging etc etc..

Your photo does not mention the driving circumstance  ie just did  a run down the Tulla freeway at 115 kph  in 30 dgrees C with air on etc?  then I would agree the indicated temp was pretty reasonable.!!

hi, I was doing 110km/h for an hour straight with ambient temperature being 22 degrees c.
Shop / 6.9 Crank pulley needed and wa...
Last post by BAXIVERSE - 31 March 2024, 08:07 PM
Looking for 6.9 crank pulley and also water pump pulley. Hope you're well and thank you
Mechanicals / Re: W116 280se slow
Last post by Magyar - 31 March 2024, 07:20 PM
I will, as soon as I have time.
Mechanicals / Revs too high
Last post by Magyar - 31 March 2024, 07:18 PM
Hi I have a mercedes 280 s e and when I drive 110 km/h the rpm is at 4000, this seems too high, why are the revs so high??

Thanks
Mechanicals / Re: Seatbelts
Last post by rumb - 31 March 2024, 05:04 PM
You can always have the old ones rebuilt. There are many such companies that do this for @$
75 each.

https://seatbeltrestore.com/