News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Recent posts

Test Drive / Goodbye to an old friend.
Last post by SuitGuy - 09 March 2024, 05:59 PM
I bought my 1980 300SD in June of 2021 at 185k miles for $3,250. Not long after, I joined this forum to learn more about my car, the maintenance, and for the comradery. After two years of joys and frustrations, the car no longer meets my needs. I plan to trade it in for a more recent car.

One of my fondest memories was taking the car on a road trip to Paduka, KY. Originally, we were going to take my fiancé's Camry, but a leaky return line put it in the shop. So, bags packed, we drove to Paduka in the 300SD. Along the way we rocked out to local radio stations, singing along to Happy Boy by the Beat Farmers and White Wedding by Billy Idol. That had been the longest trip I'd ever taken the car on, 12 hours of driving in two days. And the car chugged along, happy as can be. The only casualty was a sore bum from the seats.

I've put a lot of work into the car, and I feel every busted knuckle was worth it. This car has served me well, and I hope its next owner respects the car as much as I have. Attached is a picture of Edelweiss at her finest.

Goodbye, old girl. May He keep you in the hollow of His hands.
Mechanicals / Re: advice on calipers, disc's...
Last post by ADV_rider - 09 March 2024, 05:49 PM
Quote from: ADV_rider on 06 March 2024, 04:59 PMDoes anybody know if the ATE Brake Caliper Repair Kit; Rear P/N: 0015867343 is ok for the MB 1264200483 & 1264200583 calipers?

Yes they work. If anyone needs to know.
Test Drive / Re: My 6.9's
Last post by rumb - 09 March 2024, 05:31 PM
Fanfare horn bar finally mounted in place.  $10 of material and $100 of new tools needed to do job.....
Mechanicals / Re: Sealing cord
Last post by rumb - 09 March 2024, 05:27 PM
What is the condition of the rest of the engine?  Bearings? crank journals?, Cylinder bore wear, etc?

I cant imagine taking an engine that far apart and then not finishing the job. Pistons are easy to remove and replace.  Just go ahead and remove the crank. Then take the entire block to a shop and have it tanked and inspected. I cant imagine them charging even $100 to install new rear main seal for you.  Even if everything comes back fine, I would want the peace of mind. I see rust on your crankshaft.  That should be inspected.
Last post by fichtl500 - 09 March 2024, 04:06 PM
Quote from: UTn_boy on 09 March 2024, 02:34 PMIn order to replace the sealing cord in the block the crankshaft must be removed.  It cannot be "slid" in, as there is a pointed dowl pin that holds it in place. 

Pay particular attention to the installation procedure in the manual.  There is no room for error, otherwise it'll leak, and you'll have to remove the engine and take it completely apart again. 

I did a lot of searching and although I am handy and have no problem with such settings on modern cars. I'm not going to do this, I'm going to hope or ignore the leaking oil. Changing (hard-to-find) parts for over $500 for a 20 buck gasket doesn't seem adequate to me.
Mechanicals / Re: Bushings for shift linkage
Last post by Feather535 - 09 March 2024, 03:56 PM
Replaced the two bushings in the shift linkage under the car yesterday.  What a difference!  No more hunting for Drive, Reverse and Neutral positions, and when the indicator shows it's in Park, it really is.

I can recommend the special tool for from mercedessource.com.  It's clearly homemade and not inexpensive for what it is, but it makes the job a snap.  Replacing both bushings took me about 15 minutes, at most. 
Last post by UTn_boy - 09 March 2024, 02:34 PM
In order to replace the sealing cord in the block the crankshaft must be removed.  It cannot be "slid" in, as there is a pointed dowl pin that holds it in place. 

Pay particular attention to the installation procedure in the manual.  There is no room for error, otherwise it'll leak, and you'll have to remove the engine and take it completely apart again. 
Mechanicals / W116 280se slow
Last post by Magyar - 09 March 2024, 08:40 AM
Hi, my w116 280 se won't go past 80 km/h.

Why could this be?
Mechanicals / Re: No reverse 280se
Last post by Magyar - 08 March 2024, 06:59 PM
The shifter goes into reverse but, the reverse gear won't engage.