News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Mechanicals / Re: Steering issue fix difficu...
Last post by Max-NL - 28 June 2024, 01:40 PM
What exactly do you want to do? Do you want to replace all the bushings/bearings or just some?

I haven't rebuild the front suspension of a w116, but I did it on my W123. The only real butt clenching moment for me involved removing/installing the springs. The rest is just (rusty) nuts and bolts.
Mechanicals / Re: Steering issue fix difficu...
Last post by daantjie - 28 June 2024, 01:03 PM
It's perfectly doable on the ground with jacks and jack stands.  Just make sure you work safe and always have some redundancy built in.  Also a good idea not to work isolated and have someone check in on you every now and then just in case.

You'll need some pullers and usually some colourful language is involved  8)
Mechanicals / Re: What have you done for you...
Last post by raueda1 - 28 June 2024, 08:00 AM
Quote from: Jan S on 27 May 2024, 05:03 PMLast night the 1975 450 SE with 6.9 completed a road trip to the northern parts of Norway.

Total 1.164 km (723 miles). Fantastic weather – blue sky and 25 deg C (77 deg F) - and breathtaking scenery. Sun roof open.

Record low fuel consumption 1,41 liter/10 kilometers (16,7 miles per gallon). Getting better every year!

The car ran like Swiss clockwork – no technical issues whatsoever and a joy to drive (tight and stable).
Long trips in these cars really is great fun.   And this is the best I can ever recall hearing.  My personal best was abut 14mpg for one tank of gas.  It was with a tailwind on a very flat highway down a very gradual grade (Nebraska or Iowa USA I think).   Please share your secret!  Cheers,
Mechanicals / Steering issue fix difficulty.
Last post by Alex - 28 June 2024, 06:24 AM
Simply put, my 77 280se barely made inspection this year. The steering is pretty loose, and as the first inspector who failed the car put it: "It steers like a boat".
Yes these cars are boats, but mine is particularly boat like.

A good 5-10 degrees of play. :)

Now, I had a local shop look at the car, and he is quite knowledgeable on older mercs. I don't recall if he replaced the control arms or the steering box, but it was one of them.

I haven't ever done any major work on a car such as replacing suspension or steering.

How hard is this job to do, on some jack stands in the driveway?

Or is this best left to the professionals?
Mechanicals / Re: Water leak / pooling in re...
Last post by Alex - 28 June 2024, 06:22 AM
Quote from: NGK on 27 June 2024, 11:49 PMHey Alex, I had exactly same issue for ages, couldn't find the reason. Then I did three things:
1. checked the rubber boot where the bonnet cable come out of the fire wall for cracking or gaps
2. unblocked the a/c drainage channels (accessing from under the car)
3. check seal around antenna

The rubber boot was pretty shot so I replaced it. This I'm pretty sure did the trick, although its on the left side I had the most amount of water pooling.

Hi mate, I need to get on with this job haha.
So far, my investigation leads me to believe that the majority of water ingress is from the fuse box side (RHD Drivers), where there is a small rust hole. It then pools up beneath the carpet, then works its way back through the car.

The left side of the car is pretty clean.

I am currently trying to figure out a good way to clean up the rust hole, and fix it (fibreglass or bondo type stuff), in the tiny little crevice it is in.

My hands are too bloody big to do the job.

Cheers
NGK
Mechanicals / Airflow sensor issues
Last post by Jm4635 - 28 June 2024, 04:12 AM
Hey guys,

I have an issue with my air flow plate not opening when I press the accelerator to get it started, this has only happened since I tested all my fuel pressures and put all new vacuum lines in
It's staying hard to press down even with the key out of the ignition,it didn't do this before and the only way to raise the revs is to manually press the flap, otherwise it chokes itself out

Any ideas on where to start checking first ?
Mechanicals / Re: Water leak / pooling in re...
Last post by NGK - 27 June 2024, 11:49 PM
Hey Alex, I had exactly same issue for ages, couldn't find the reason. Then I did three things:
1. checked the rubber boot where the bonnet cable come out of the fire wall for cracking or gaps
2. unblocked the a/c drainage channels (accessing from under the car)
3. check seal around antenna

The rubber boot was pretty shot so I replaced it. This I'm pretty sure did the trick, although its on the left side I had the most amount of water pooling.

Cheers
NGK
Last post by johnnyw116 - 27 June 2024, 12:22 PM
Quote from: Jan S on 27 May 2024, 05:03 PMLast night the 1975 450 SE with 6.9 completed a road trip to the northern parts of Norway.

Total 1.164 km (723 miles). Fantastic weather – blue sky and 25 deg C (77 deg F) - and breathtaking scenery. Sun roof open.

Record low fuel consumption 1,41 liter/10 kilometers (16,7 miles per gallon). Getting better every year!

The car ran like Swiss clockwork – no technical issues whatsoever and a joy to drive (tight and stable).
Thats about 1 on 7  fuel consumption in Litres Nice  :)
Last post by JP - 27 June 2024, 12:37 AM
whats not to like about your post, what a fantastic plan! these machines :)

Shop / Re: Seats springs, padding, mi...
Last post by BCK1963 - 26 June 2024, 11:16 PM
Hi Stan,
I received the two mirrors yesterday.
Everything in best order: A package that would survive doomsday, brand new mirrors without the least trace of them being nearly 50 years old.
  Thanks again and regards     Bernd