News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Recent posts

Shop / Re: Selling some parts from my...
Last post by seanw116 - 03 April 2024, 06:33 PM
Hi. I need a front windsheild. I wonder if you still have it for sale. Thanks.
seanw116
Mechanicals / Re: Revs too high
Last post by Nabstud - 03 April 2024, 08:45 AM
Sounds about right, remember that the tachometer isn't 100% accurate. Mine is similar, about 3600rpm. As said above, it was designed like that and will run all day at those revs. When you first drive it it definitely feels like its way too high but you soon get used to it.

The 4-speed box only uses first gear if you manually select it OR you put your foot down to the floor when taking off from standstill. In everyday driving it acts like a 3-speed auto.
Test Drive / Re: W116 S270 CDI
Last post by Jackhammer - 03 April 2024, 03:33 AM
Quote from: rumb on 02 April 2024, 12:38 PMGreat project!

How did a 300sd end up in Siberia?

Not Siberia, Serbia, very different country  ;D
at that time, it was Yugoslavia, and the first owner was government of Yugoslavia. Unfortunately, I  don't know it's history. It was probably used for high profile politicians, or secret police

Thank you raueda1! Will do, as I'm slowly finishing up. The 6 speed box is soo smoother and more precise than 5 speed, however it comes with it's cons, that being no mechanical speedo reading
Last post by raueda1 - 03 April 2024, 03:14 AM
Beautiful! And a 6 speed!  Please keep posting progress.
Mechanicals / Re: Over heating m110 engine
Last post by rumb - 02 April 2024, 06:40 PM
Isnt the thermostat 87 degrees?  Engine should be near that temp.

As far as running with AC, Though I have only done it on a w126, you can add a resistor to the temp sender that will make the ac fan kick on a bit sooner.  That really helped my 300se. I did also make sure everything else was up to par.
Mechanicals / Re: Revs too high
Last post by Randys01 - 02 April 2024, 05:56 PM
I think you'll find it is a 4 speed box.
Mechanicals / Re: Over heating m110 engine
Last post by Randys01 - 02 April 2024, 05:55 PM
My gut feeling is that it is running a bit warmer than I would like........should be closer to 83 under those driving circumstances.BUT how accurate is the gauge?..AND plenty of other owners would  be satisfied with that. What needs to be told is what happens when the aircon is on and its 35C and you are crawling thru town?
. I suspect she would be approaching 100..too hot.
Last post by rumb - 02 April 2024, 12:38 PM
Great project!

How did a 300sd end up in Siberia?
Mechanicals / Re: Hydro-pneumatic system (HP...
Last post by raueda1 - 02 April 2024, 10:05 AM
Quote from: rumb on 02 April 2024, 08:42 AMhttps://forum.w116.org/shop/6-9-hydro-strut-rebuild-kits/

I have about 6 sets left.

Another member sells the front cups.
I can vouch for rumb's kit.  HERE is a detailed account of my experience.  I include it cause it touches on some issues not discussed elsewhere that I know of.  Good luck!
Test Drive / W116 S270 CDI
Last post by Jackhammer - 02 April 2024, 10:03 AM
Hi everyone!

This forum helped me A LOT with my W116, so i finally decided to share with you all my project.

I bought mine W116 300SD in 2018. It sat since 2005 in a garage, and was in a quite sad condition. Many parts missing, interior was dirty, all seat springs were shot. Brakes seized, shocks non-existent, half of the ac components non existent etc. But the worst crime,- engine converted to naturally aspirated om617, with 4 speed manual box.

Since it wasn't nowhere near it's original state, I was inspired to make something interesting out if it, Over the years I sourced most of the missing parts, completely overhauled braking system, as well as suspension and interior. I always had another mercs, and did engine conversions for my self and other people,- mostly to om60x engines, with performance injections pumps. But I personally don't like the powerband of IDI engines, so om612 CDI was chosen. I chose om612 instead of om613 mostly due to space constraints.
I started with the conversion in July of 2023. My goal was not to hack up the chassis and/or body, and to look as original as possible from the outside to the untrained eye. After lots and lots of fabrication, trial and error, as well as tinkering with the wiring, - engine is in the place, mated to 6 speed manual gearbox, powering the 2.47 rear end.

It's not done yet, I still need to clean up the wiring, hide the ecu, connect the AC system, and a sea of other bits and pieces, (interior and exterior wise) but it's finally coming together.

I will deliver some high quality photos, as well as videos,- as soon as i have it registered and pretty much complete