News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Mechanicals / Re: No fuel accumulator??
Last post by rumb - 04 April 2024, 12:02 PM
Looks like the line from tank to the damper has an extra brass fitting. That hose will need replaced which means you have to drain the tank.  You can at least change the tank filter then...

Best route is just pull the fuel package and replace everything.
Last post by UTn_boy - 04 April 2024, 12:01 PM
The accumulator for all D-Jetronic engines is mounted on top of the rear of the intake manifold under the rear of the air filter housing.  They haven't been available for around 7 years.  Sometimes you'll luck out and find a new one online, but they're usually $400-$1,000.  For now, people are using something aftermarket or they just deal with the hot start issues.  Though, a used one is a possibility, but even then the used ones are eye wateringly expensive.  Knowing they may last a week or years is a huge gamble. 

To find the accumulator in EPC, you'll have to select your car, and then select the engine (117.983), and then click on group 07 (Injection system), and select frame number two (070).  The accumulator is callout number 176.  The correct part number is 000-078-03-89.  What you reference above is for later cars with K-Jetronic fuel injection.  That is why the diagram you're looking at shows no part number.....it's not valid for your model. 
Last post by ethanrmerc - 04 April 2024, 11:29 AM
Ah, I finally found the part number from ECP, aptly named "storage" for those concerned. Part number is 0004760121.

And the diagram.

I think my best bet is to buy the replacement and just take the whole fuel pump system out to investigate. Does anyone know if I'll want an empty tank for this, or a good way to clamp off the fuel lines?

-E
Mechanicals / No fuel accumulator??
Last post by ethanrmerc - 04 April 2024, 11:14 AM
Hi all,

Title is a little dramatic, I'm sure I just can't find it.

I've got a 1973 450 SE up here in Seattle, and am having a warm start issue that I've dwindled down to a bad fuel accumulator.

Hopped under the benz to make sure I ordered the right one, and I can't find it!

Would have expected it to be above the charcoal filter here somewhere, but nothing... I looked all around. Is it possible I just don't have one?

Btw, this is a very early 1973, engine number 178. Does anyone have experience with these early w116's/ know the part number for the accumulator. I checked the ECP, and the diagram shows a fuel accumulator, but it does't list a part number  :-\

As always, thank y'all for your wisdom

-E
Mechanicals / Re: Siphon hose fell in gas ta...
Last post by ethanrmerc - 04 April 2024, 09:28 AM
Quote from: raueda1 on 13 March 2024, 08:38 PMI hate to say it, but I'd strongly recommend getting it out, or at least not ignore it indefinitely.  Leaving it in is an experiment in the long term effect of gasoline on PVC or whatever rubber it was.  I've already done that experiment in my pre-retirement career.  It generally isn't nice.  In the case of rubber, at a minimum it's likely that the tubing will swell and lose mechanical integrity.  Then it's subject to falling apart with b its of hose stuff in your fuel and messing up filters the rest of the fuel system.  In the case of PVC you risk extracting the plasticisers with a similar end result.  This wouldn't be overnight, to be sure.  But by ignoring it you risk having to the job that you seek to avoid by leaving it in.  In fact, the job would probably end up being a lot bigger if crp gets through your fuel system. If it were me I'd get it out.  I can't suggest some obvious way, but there must be one.  My thoughts go to endoscopes and those long grabbers on a flexible shaft, but I haven't tried myself.  Removing the sender gives a pretty big hole to poke around it.  Good luck!

Endoscope and grabber was my first attempt... to no avail :(
Shop / Re: Selling some parts from my...
Last post by mrkozzy - 04 April 2024, 07:09 AM
RE:Finally, I have a strange tool which I believe is something to do with hubcaps - a round suction cup, MB branded.  Possibly to do with painting them?  I can't imagine the suction would be strong enough to pull off a hub cap. It is about the diameter of a coffee mug.

Will, A picture would help on this one.  If its what I think it is, then I am interested.

Cheers
Mechanicals / Re: 1980 300SD Rear Bendix Cal...
Last post by Jackhammer - 04 April 2024, 04:51 AM
How about you find a second hand Ate rear calipers, rebuild them, and then just swap into your car?
They fit from w123 and w126 (at least first gen) too, so it won't be a problem sourcing them, and they should be cheap
Mechanicals / Re: Replacing Indicator Relays
Last post by Jackhammer - 04 April 2024, 04:41 AM
You can always buy the cheapo generic one, and test if it would solve your problem. Is your relay 4 pin or 3 pin?
My original one died in the city, (rush hour ofcourse), so I just bought the generic 3 pin one, and it works like a charm, although it's quite quieter than the OEM one
Mechanicals / Re: Replacing Indicator Relays
Last post by Alex - 03 April 2024, 07:31 PM
Had a look the other day, could not for the life of me- find that ground.
I found "a" ground, and I fixed that up, but it was for something else entirely.
Any photos of what I am looking for? (Also its a RHD car)
Shop / Re: Selling some parts from my...
Last post by seanw116 - 03 April 2024, 06:33 PM
Hi. I need a front windsheild. I wonder if you still have it for sale. Thanks.
seanw116