News:

www.W116.org
By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Test Drive / Re: My 6.9's
Last post by rumb - 23 September 2022, 04:04 PM
Getting closer now. Ready to final fit the outer rocker for welding, just a small tweak needed.
Mechanicals / Re: 6.9 starter solenoid
Last post by daantjie - 23 September 2022, 03:49 PM
Here is my old post:

https://forum.w116.org/mechanicals/odd-intermittent-starter-noise/30/

To be honest this post is a blur, it was during Covid peak so I think I was very dazed and confused 8)

Just some further update to my saga.  Indeed after I dropped in the refurbed unit, it did not go all peaches and cream in that the "laziness" of the bendix to pull back in was indeed a problem and would occasionally cause the bendix gear to get rubbed by the ringgear with a bad noise of course.  So I had to pull it out again and this is when I decided to stop buggering around with my old one and buy a Bosch refurbed one, which has to date performed flawlessly.

I did later on replace the solenoid on my old one, and the bench test was perfect, so I have to conclude that in addition to the sticky bendix initially, I also ended up with a "lazy" retract, perhaps due to the newer less worn components and tighter clearances?  I can only guess, but the new solenoid cured this problem, and it now snaps back very crisply, so indeed you need to ensure that it throws out rapidly and also retracts rapidly, otherwise you will be stuck again.

Sorry for rambling here, hope this helps ;D
Last post by daantjie - 23 September 2022, 03:01 PM
Indeed this is a finicky job.  I had a post a while ago when I redid mine.  I also bought a refurbished one off ebay which I chose to install instead.  Works flawlessly, touch wood.
The one I refurbished tested fine on the bench so I think I did an OK job but it's such a prick of a job getting it in and out that I opted for the Bosch refurbed one instead for installation.
Last post by rumb - 23 September 2022, 12:46 PM
I seem to recall loose ball bearing to deal with if you remove and clean the bendix.
Last post by raueda1 - 23 September 2022, 12:36 PM
Thanks Daniel, I'll soon be following Nathan's example.  My starter often just spins when engine is cold but seems to always engage on the second try.  When engine is warm it only rarely spins.  Should I be looking at anything other than the solenoid?  Cheers,
Last post by daantjie - 23 September 2022, 11:52 AM
Quote from: raueda1 on 23 September 2022, 11:27 AM
Quote from: daantjie on 23 September 2022, 01:30 AMYup that's the right part# for the solenoid.
Was that a kind of "universal" solenoid for late 70's-early 80's MB's?  It seems to turn up online as for W123's etc.

Yes they are used across multiple starters/models.
Last post by raueda1 - 23 September 2022, 11:27 AM
Quote from: daantjie on 23 September 2022, 01:30 AMYup that's the right part# for the solenoid.
Was that a kind of "universal" solenoid for late 70's-early 80's MB's?  It seems to turn up online as for W123's etc.
Mechanicals / Fuel Distributor M110
Last post by Gpapaniko - 23 September 2022, 08:05 AM
Completely random mechanical discovery and interested in the feedback.  We used the Aussie public holiday to memorialise the queen with a fuel distributor swap on the Madam President W116 280SEL with a mate and his W123 280CE (Bessy).  As both a KJet CIS system, we thought no problem here.  So we bought two rebuilt distributors and we discovered not all M110 KJet F Distributors are the same, after our change over, the Madam President wouldn't start so we we reversed the process and compared the old and rebuilt.  The original FD had a different mechanism for the internal piston (seemed spring loaded) rather than using gravity.  While my mates old Distributor was the gravity type.  It may be the difference in the engine as mine is a M110.985 and his is a M110.984, but I wouldn't have thought that the CIS would be different.  Any one who can enlighten me on why the difference in the Fuel Distributor for the same engine, would be fascinated to know.  Interesting that our supplier of the rebuilt unit didn't know this either.  As the Madam President 280SEL is almost the very last W116 built (last 100 according to the Chassis No), I wonder if the distributor is more closely related to the W126 equivalent?  Any ideas
Last post by daantjie - 23 September 2022, 01:30 AM
Yup that's the right part# for the solenoid.
Mechanicals / Re: Hamilton Motor Company Cli...
Last post by CA116 - 23 September 2022, 12:39 AM
Quote from: sutekh on 22 September 2022, 09:57 PMThe takeaway here shouldn't be "Stay away from Hamilton" IMO.

Fair enough! I'm glad it worked out, and thanks for the detailed description / info.