News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Shop / Re: 6.9 UK model wanted
Last post by ptashek - 13 March 2024, 02:50 PM
Your best bet will be to get in touch with the Merceded-Benz UK club folks. Can't beat their network of contacts for sourcing a car. The former chairman had a 6.9 that won many concourse shows, who knows, maybe if the price is right... ;)
Mechanicals / Re: Sealing cord
Last post by fichtl500 - 13 March 2024, 01:53 PM
Quote from: rumb on 09 March 2024, 05:27 PMWhat is the condition of the rest of the engine?  Bearings? crank journals?, Cylinder bore wear, etc?

I cant imagine taking an engine that far apart and then not finishing the job. Pistons are easy to remove and replace.  Just go ahead and remove the crank. Then take the entire block to a shop and have it tanked and inspected. I cant imagine them charging even $100 to install new rear main seal for you.  Even if everything comes back fine, I would want the peace of mind. I see rust on your crankshaft.  That should be inspected.

I believe it was good, the engine worked until I took it apart. It stood cleaned for some time, and here and there it caught a bit of surface corrosion.

I already took it apart, I had a little trouble with the chain. I checked the screws, the connecting rods are like new (upper tolerance) but I don't know how to check the main ones.

A new screw costs about 62 euros. My stomach cramps when I think about putting old screws in there. Grandma, help

https://www.niemoeller.de/en/w126/mb280se-126022-motor-110989/B022/010101/d01041-screw
Mechanicals / Re: Siphon hose fell in gas ta...
Last post by ethanrmerc - 13 March 2024, 10:15 AM
Thank you both, was looking for your first answer Jed... i will "remember" it when I change the fuel filter.
Mechanicals / Re: Help replacing front brake...
Last post by rumb - 13 March 2024, 09:35 AM
Quote from: Rolo on 10 March 2024, 06:23 PMGood thought, but the spreader feels like it's bottoming the pistons.  The pistons and boots protrude about 2mm from being completely flush with the caliper.

The piston should be flush. Try something else to push them in further?  C clamp?

Just ran across these posts:  mixed calipers and pads?  mixed rotors?

https://forum.w116.org/mechanicals/advice-on-calipers-disc-s-etc/
I thought for sure there was a difference in early versus late W116 rotors, to the point where people on this site were complaining about having to pay $200 a rotor for early W116 versus $30 a rotor for late W116. With that said, I think that later rotors will fit earlier hubs, but the calipers have to be changed or something.

https://forum.w116.org/mechanicals/brake-rotors/
Mechanicals / 6.9 Euro spec into W114 Coupe
Last post by BAXIVERSE - 13 March 2024, 04:11 AM
Hi folks hope you're all well. I've been slowly moving forward with this project and since I haven't seen another one out there, thought I'll share the whole project with you. The 71 250C is the first car I ever owned some 20 years back and it's been with me through it all. Shape and size is so perfect on the w114, but yikes that engine. Many years back I switched the Zenith Carbs with Webers which helped..(really?)..ok.. So it's time to step it up..

Would love to do a 5 speed conversion, but at the moment I'm a bit restrained on resources and options. So far I have the euro spec 6.9 and the 3speed auto trans and the limited slip. Missing a few major parts still (air flow meter- the part the fuel distributer sits on, the crank pulley and a bunch more parts I'll list later)
Will post more pics of the car and the engine soon. Be ups everyone stay wild
Last post by Rolo - 13 March 2024, 12:55 AM
2 sets of pads, then.  OE and Pagid.
Last post by Randys01 - 12 March 2024, 09:10 PM
Well if u  r satisfied that the pistons are fully retreated then you have a bodgie /mismarked set of pads !
Last post by Rolo - 12 March 2024, 06:15 PM
Good thought.  I loosened the nipple to back the pistons out.  They are bottomed out.
Mechanicals / Re: W116 280se slow
Last post by rumb - 12 March 2024, 09:50 AM
Did this happen suddenly or over time?

Does your car have cats on it?  could be plugged.
Last time fuel filter/pump  changed?

BTW, can you please post a history of the car?  Both of your questions you have provided very little information that could help diagnose further, which has probably limjted replies. Your general question has a hundred answers/guesses at this point.
Mechanicals / Re: No reverse 280se
Last post by rumb - 12 March 2024, 09:39 AM
Did you check all the shift linkage bushings?