News:

www.W116.org
The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Recent posts

Mechanicals / Re: Suspension Control Upgrade...
Last post by rumb - 24 January 2023, 06:15 PM
Here is a picture of the height knob showing the ball bearing that clicks into the holes on the side. Most definitely a solid click.
Mechanicals / Re: W116 6.9 (6632) engine reb...
Last post by rumb - 24 January 2023, 01:46 PM

Yes the smog stuff will not find its way back into the engine bay...
[/quote]

As despicable and worthless as all that smog stuff is, you could completely kill yourself and future owners from ever being able to register or even sell the car.  CA CARB is spreading and many states just plain will never allow these cars on the road if they are missing components.

Even if your state can get by I would think heavily about removing it.  I recently sold 2 vehicles because they were missing smog components and I didnt want to get stuck with the thousands of dollars it would take to put back on them.
Mechanicals / Re: Locked keys inside car
Last post by rumb - 24 January 2023, 01:38 PM
Quote from: daantjie on 24 January 2023, 11:59 AMMaybe try accessing the vacuum line in the trunk and then forcing air into the green line?

You probably mean vacuum. should be able to apply vac and unlock everything, remove the carpet in rear of trunk and open the 5" square panel, the vac lines are inside.
Last post by johnnyw116 - 24 January 2023, 12:45 PM
Do you have an sunroof ? you can open the sunroof manually from the boot 
Last post by HPC - 24 January 2023, 12:42 PM
Quote from: daantjie on 24 January 2023, 12:30 PMAs well, if you do not need to pass smog testing, then now is the time to yank all that smog garbage off the motor and block off all the ports.  Once the engine is assembled it's a lot more difficult to plug all the ports. Especially the connection and piping at the throttle body, it's pretty much impossible to pull the recirc piping with the intake in place.

Yes the smog stuff will not find its way back into the engine bay...
Last post by HPC - 24 January 2023, 12:41 PM
Quote from: raueda1 on 24 January 2023, 10:25 AMThis project is stroll down memory lane. ::)  Agree with Randys01 assessment (but lesten to him, not me, he's far more knowledgeable).  My question is, how far do you want to take it?  Engine needs head gaskets, not doubt.  And it's half taken apart.  You could do a head rebuild job, new gaskets and call it a day.  OTOH, you could pull the engine and do a more thorough job, such as replace all the chain guides, maybe crankshaft seals, replace the old and probably brittle wiring harness, rehone cylinders, inspect pistons etc.  I discovered that my engine had been rebuilt (+1 pistons) but chain gears hadn't been replace and were quite worn so those got replaced.  And do a nice repaint/restoration of the engine compartment while you're at it.  That's the rabbit hole I got sucked down, but in the end I'm glad I did.  Cheers,

ps - be sure to replace the valve springs in the right orientation.  They have an up and down that is not at all obvious!

Thanks for the advice, this is quite the big rabbit hole! 

I planned on doing the chain and guides along with the head job, gaskets, the rubber parts on the intake manifold and vacuum lines. 

The wiring harness is bit stiff towards the front of the engine but not bad.
There is some surface rust under the brake master and on the other side that needs treatment. not a complete repaint, a touch up of the affected areas.
I didn't think it would need new valves - but I will recheck that on the weekend and get a second opinion.
And the crankshaft seals I have heard needs doing at some point too...

I would also need to do the brakes, suspension and steering. So need to be careful how deep down the hole I go ;D

I need more hands to help
Last post by daantjie - 24 January 2023, 12:30 PM
As well, if you do not need to pass smog testing, then now is the time to yank all that smog garbage off the motor and block off all the ports.  Once the engine is assembled it's a lot more difficult to plug all the ports. Especially the connection and piping at the throttle body, it's pretty much impossible to pull the recirc piping with the intake in place.
Last post by daantjie - 24 January 2023, 11:59 AM
Maybe try accessing the vacuum line in the trunk and then forcing air into the green line?
Mechanicals / Locked keys inside car - solve...
Last post by SteveDuNord - 24 January 2023, 10:55 AM
Left them on the rear parcel shelf while drying all the interior glass. :-[

Have tried levering the door to drop a coat hanger down, but the wire seems to get trapped inside the plastic door moulding.

Next I tried to lift the bottom window aluminium trim but it doesn't seem to be possible (from the outside) without bending the metal.

Also tried forcing down the driver's window but it wasn't budging.

I do still have access to the boot, but can't see any access through there. Sheet metal everywhere!

Locksmith?