News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Mechanicals / Re: Help with stiffer road spr...
Last post by ptashek - 11 April 2024, 03:54 PM
I guess your best bet would be to get springs from the "special protection" version, as these had to support a huge amount of added weight. Front is A1163214404, rear is A1163240904, but both are marked as NLA :(
Mechanicals / Re: No fuel accumulator??
Last post by UTn_boy - 11 April 2024, 01:33 PM
I believe Volvo used D-Jetronic up to about 1976 on the 164E models.  Though, Ive no idea how the regulators are plumed in. 
Mechanicals / Re: No fuel accumulator??
Last post by ethanrmerc - 11 April 2024, 12:45 PM
Just for anyone searching these forums in the future, if you look up the correct part number (000-078-03-89) you likely wont find the right part with the same connections for djet. After a bunch of digging, I found a compatible aftermarket version, Standard Motor Products 16147-05183482, for only $120 :)

Might be speaking too soon though, I'll verify fitment once the part arrives.

I've also seen on other forums for the 450SL that it may be possible to use a 1971 volvo fuel pressure regulator with two ports, you just need a splitter to go to each injector line. Although my physics background fears pressure issues when going down that path...
Mechanicals / W116 6.9 vacum advance tempera...
Last post by ramiro - 11 April 2024, 08:53 AM
Hello,
As i am still not satisfied with my engine temp on the german highway i found the attached note in the manual.
It states that some cars had a valve to disable vacum advancing when the engine is hotter then 90 C , i find it very odd that there is no mention on which cars and for what reason , most likely to reduce engine temperature ?

I am pretty sure that when driving constantly at 180 - 200 kph the vacum advance is active because you need very little throttle input for that also i can see on my AFR gauge that the wot enrichment is also not active , it really only comes on above 220.

So maybe they only installed this valve on cars that were pushed and had complains ?
Last post by ramiro - 11 April 2024, 08:43 AM
I actually retrofitted SLS in my W126 because of the propane tank never regretted it , if you can find a donor it actually it is not very hard.
Mechanicals / Re: 6.9 Euro spec into W114 Co...
Last post by Jackhammer - 11 April 2024, 08:26 AM
Good luck with your project, keep us updated  8)
Last post by Jackhammer - 11 April 2024, 08:20 AM
SLS would be perfect for this, but i'm guessing too complicated. How about h&r springs? granted, they are 30mm lower, but are also stiffer,  maybe they could work for you, with the thickest rubber pad on top of them
Mechanicals / Re: Replacing Indicator Relays
Last post by Jackhammer - 11 April 2024, 08:12 AM
The aftermarket connector terminals are flat, and factory ones are round. What I did was, I took a spare connector which fits where the relay was, and crimped spade connectors to it's wires. This way I didn't have to hack-up the original connections, if I ever want to use oem relay. (you can see connector connected behind my hand)

Most of the cars using this type of relay, use 21w bulbs, so no problems
Mechanicals / Re: Glow Plug Light (1979 300S...
Last post by amilio - 10 April 2024, 10:34 PM
79' SD as well and I have the same issue sometimes. Seems to happen more when the car is cold. Tried a new relay and still have the same intermittent issue. Wondering if it's an issue with the fuse as that's the only thing I haven't replaced yet (first thing I did was replace all the plugs and ream the plug holes). Agree that the plugs are not working when it blinks. Sometimes they glow normally after waiting on the relay and trying again.

Hoping you have luck getting advice on this issue so I can fix the problem on my car as well!
Mechanicals / Glow Plug Light (1979 300SD)
Last post by benzjag - 10 April 2024, 07:50 PM
The glow plug light on my 79 300SD blinks until the glow plug relay cuts out. The glow plugs test good from the relay AND at the plugs themselves using my ohms meter. The light during glowing BEFORE I turn the key to start is a solid light. It's only after starting, the light blinks and will blink until the relay stops. I know some plugs are not glowing because the car "misses" for a few seconds.

Any ideas what's going in? Never had this on my W123/W126 diesels.

Thnx.

Richard