News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Mechanicals / Re: Becker Mexico Radio Shorte...
Last post by daantjie - 16 March 2024, 04:15 PM
Correct yes, the other in-line type fuse in the fuse box is for the ACC climate control system, if fitted.
Mechanicals / Re: Becker Mexico Radio Shorte...
Last post by Jed - 16 March 2024, 03:02 PM
My recollection is that the radio fuse on the w116 is the long inline style fuse located in the bottom of the fuse box in the engine compartment. Not the push in ceramic style fuses but the ones you have to unscrew to get the fuse out. Did you check those? There are typically two in there and I can't remember what the other one is for?
Mechanicals / Re: Replacing Indicator Relays
Last post by Jed - 16 March 2024, 02:59 PM
Some cars have the relay built into the large hazard switch relay in the center console.  Other models have a separate relay under dash.  Just follow the clicking noise when the turn signal is on and that's the relay.

Before I would start messing with the relay I would not only change the bulbs but be sure all the contacts are good and not corroded/oxidized, including the grounds on all the light bulbs.  A fast flashing turn signal usually means too much resistance/a bulb is out.  If all the bulbs are working you may still have too much resistance due to corrosion or a bad contact.

i would not mess around with aftermarket relays  Get the correct OEM style relay. Some are reasonabley priced and some are not...
Auto Torque / Re: Retiring my W126
Last post by ptashek - 16 March 2024, 02:22 PM
Well served, and happy retirement! You get some serious muscle as replacement ;)
Auto Torque / Retiring my W126
Last post by rumb - 16 March 2024, 01:25 PM
After 27 years of daily driving my 300se it looks like it is being relegated to the rest of the collection for occasional use. Car is a joy to drive and drives in near new fashion due to years of maintenance. (It does need the rear axles rebuilt.) Enjoyed 264K miles!  Some do say a well maintained higher mileage car is better than a garage queen low miles....

Why?  Well my wife got a 2021 E450 Cabriolet and so I get the CLS550.

Feels weird driving a newer car all the time, however I will get the GTS out in a couple of months for the summer and park the CLS.

I plan on keeping the W126, perfect car for when the electric grid implodes.....
Shop / Re: Brand new genuine MB lower...
Last post by Jan S - 16 March 2024, 09:50 AM
Sold.
Mechanicals / Becker Mexico Radio Shorted Ou...
Last post by Alex - 16 March 2024, 05:52 AM
As per title.
I took the ground off my Becker Mexico, forgot the car batt was on, and plugged in another funny wire and it shorted out. The radio no longer has any signs of life.
Please help!! (It was working 100% beforehand) :(((

I think the short may have killed a fuse or something, but I can't say. All the fuses in the engine bay are intact.

Is there anything else it could be? Or do I have to pull apart the whole radio and find the blown capacitor or something.
And also- any advice on finding the issue and rectifying it? How do I find the location of the issue??

https://imgur.com/a/d20iBmt
^ Cable goes from amp to stereo but doesn't plug into stereo??
https://imgur.com/a/pINuApS
^otherside of same cable
https://imgur.com/a/HoP3JQ8
^ attempted to plug it into that corroded bit. Before shorting the entire radio and killing it.

Mechanicals / Re: Replacing Indicator Relays
Last post by Alex - 16 March 2024, 05:26 AM
Quote from: daantjie on 05 March 2024, 01:06 AMDoes your hazard/flasher button work?  I recall that problems with indicators might have something to do with a faulty hazard switch.
works
Mechanicals / Re: Help replacing front brake...
Last post by Rolo - 14 March 2024, 07:01 PM
Good stuff.  The discussion about rotor and pad thickness changing may be the issue.  My car has had rotors replaced twice with OE parts, but the car was stored for 10 years, so the rotors are probably 20 years old.

The aftermarket and OE pads are identical in thickness and there is no unique part number for ATE or Teves calipers, so I'm thinking the currently available pads are just too thick. One minute on the grinder.
Mechanicals / Re: No reverse 280se
Last post by Magyar - 14 March 2024, 05:32 PM
Quote from: ramiro on 14 March 2024, 09:26 AMLinkage makes no sense because Reverse is in the middle , so there always should be a way to get into reverse.
I also think that most likely the problem is inside the transmission , did it go quickly into reverse before you lost it ?
I just bought their car.It goes into reverse but it feels like it's only half engaged.