News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Recent posts

Mechanicals / Re: 280SE engine mounts
Last post by hamidagha - 14 April 2024, 01:00 PM
Hi all. I am bumping this up again as I am not sure these new mounts I have fitted are ok. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Mechanicals / Re: Audio head unit
Last post by rumb - 14 April 2024, 12:22 PM

What part do you need?  There are just a few wires for electricity and then all the speaker wires.
Also what radio do you have?

https://www.beckerautosound.com/
They sell some harnesses also.

Mechanicals / Re: How to manually crank engi...
Last post by Max-NL - 14 April 2024, 09:27 AM
You will need a 27mm socket. I would recommend a deep socket and a short extension.
Mechanicals / Audio head unit
Last post by Magyar - 14 April 2024, 07:45 AM
Hi, does anyone know where I can buy a head unit harness for a w116 280se?

Thanks
Last post by Pete49 - 13 April 2024, 11:41 PM
oops double post
Last post by Pete49 - 13 April 2024, 11:39 PM
I would add some light weight oil via the plug holes and let it sit for a while before trying to crank it. You would need to do a fluids before starting anyhow.
Last post by daantjie - 13 April 2024, 06:53 PM
For starters you need to remove all the plugs so you're not fighting compression.  You need a long wrench as well.  Turn clockwise facing the engine.  There is a large nut on the crank pulley for which you need correct socket and extensions as the nut sits pretty deep.
Mechanicals / How to manually crank engine
Last post by sbetts - 13 April 2024, 05:16 PM
Hello,

I have a 1974 450SEL than has not been driven in over 20 years. I want to see if the engine will move, but have never cranked an engine with a wrench. How do I? It looks like there is a plastic white cover over the crankshaft end, but before I pry it away I figured I'd check with you all to make sure that is the correct place to do this, and to hear other suggestions. What size socket would I need?
Mechanicals / Re: W116 6.9 vacum advance tem...
Last post by ramiro - 13 April 2024, 11:38 AM
The picture clearly shows an 6.9 Engine.
The screenshot is directly from the 6.9 section in the service manual it is also the only engine where this is mentioned.
I would translate the text but it only says that this switch disconnects the vacum advance above 90 C engine temperature , sadly i was not able to find a part number for this exact switch only 1 with 63 C but without the vent hole.

Maybe because in australia there was no legal way to drive > 110 constantly ?
Mechanicals / Re: W116 6.9 vacum advance tem...
Last post by Randys01 - 13 April 2024, 12:36 AM
The photo depicts a V8 with K jetronic..so that limits the scope.
The arrows point to the distributor  port that ordinarily connects to the vacuum valve on the firewall to increase the advance when the a/con is switched on.

I cannot see what the other arrow is indicating. I cannot read German so it's a bit hard !
but the gizmo /temp control sender seems unique.I've not come across this before.

Why they need to do this seems crazy coz if ever a car was going to run hot at hi speed it would have to be Australia and they are not fitted to 6.9's at least !
The article you are referencing appears to be a full service manual extract..ie .it is not a "bulletin amendment?"

Let's see what else presents!