News:

Location, Location, Location.
Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Mechanicals / Re: Just secured a 450 SEL 6.9...
Last post by andrewk - 26 January 2023, 06:18 PM
Yesterday was a public holiday here. As I don't participate in that day, I decided to work on the 6.9.

Unfortunately it was ~35*C so the work was strenuous (see picture) and many of the parts refused to budge, caked on with mud, rust and general old age. Far less work than expected was completed.

I did however manage to get the driver's side rear brakes installed - new parking brake shoes were extraordinarily tedious to install.
The brake discs were also really hard to remove as they were completely rusted to the wheel hub.

The rear left brake disc is stuck due to a jammed parking brake shoe - i'll have to disconnect the cable or use a puller on the brake disc.

In addition, I received a huge box of parts from MB Classic Center in the USA after it was stuck with FedEx for the best part of a week. New water pump, loads of plastic and rubber pieces, some bolts, a master cylinder, the correct clear hose for the headlight and windscreen washer system, loads of vacuum tubing and various other items.

I'm away for a few days so i'll try get some work in on Monday night, replacing some of the vacuum hoses and other pieces which connect to the fuel / injection system.

Mechanicals / Re: Gas Gauge Hangs-up
Last post by Jan S - 26 January 2023, 04:53 PM
Quote from: JeffCullen on 25 January 2023, 12:17 PMMy money's on a sticky float... sometimes you can get lucky, pull the sending unit and clean it out... need to be VERY careful with the tiny wires!

Agree!
Mechanicals / Re: W116 6.9 (6632) engine reb...
Last post by HPC - 25 January 2023, 10:34 PM
Quote from: rumb on 24 January 2023, 01:46 PMYes the smog stuff will not find its way back into the engine bay...

As despicable and worthless as all that smog stuff is, you could completely kill yourself and future owners from ever being able to register or even sell the car.  CA CARB is spreading and many states just plain will never allow these cars on the road if they are missing components.

Even if your state can get by I would think heavily about removing it.  I recently sold 2 vehicles because they were missing smog components and I didnt want to get stuck with the thousands of dollars it would take to put back on them.
[/quote]

That makes sense!  I did not think of selling in future.
Shop / Re: Wanted - exhaust manifold
Last post by MARCEDES - 25 January 2023, 08:05 PM
Quote from: rumb on 25 January 2023, 08:53 AMWhat car/ engine does it go on?

Hey Rumb,

M110 straight six
'74 280SE
Shop / sheet metal parts
Last post by rumb - 25 January 2023, 07:23 PM
https://mercedes-classic-parts.com/product-category/10-w116/16-carrosserie-delen-10-w116/

They seem to have a much wider spectrum of sheet metal parts.
Last post by Rolo - 25 January 2023, 06:59 PM
Quote from: raueda1 on 25 January 2023, 03:22 PM
Quote from: Rolo on 25 January 2023, 12:47 PMI bought +1 pistons and rings from Mahle.  I ordered directly from Germany and they only have blueprints for +1 in Euro spec.  So you'll have to switch to premium gas on US spec motors.  The F1 shop made the pistons for me.
FWIW, my +1 euro pistons were supposedly 8.6:1 compression not 8.8.  I learned this from some MB rebuild manual, can't recall which.   Regardless, I use premium.  However, I have used lesser gas a couple times and never had knocking problems and my timing is advanced significantly
Quote from: rumb on 24 January 2023, 01:46 PMMahle only offered me one choice for +1 pistons.  Not sure what the comp ratio is, but I've tried midgrade, and it knocks.  Engine is running great according to the analyzer.  It's very strong.
Last post by rumb - 25 January 2023, 06:01 PM
I have seen some state that CA CARB requires all cars after 1975 to get smog tested. I think 15 or so states copy CA currently.

But to what standard I dont know. CO has same as CA, but my 6.9 was tested at the 1977 tailpipe test standard. This was 4 years ago, so I hope nothing changed.

Since I have a unmolested euro I got a federal EPA exemption. My belief is that all unmolested euro 6.9's (as well as should all other euro w116) would be able to get this. Note the car must be in original config with no smog on it.

This would be rather good news at least for 6.9 as most are euros.

You can read the prior discussion on another forum where i mention the federal form:

https://www.benzworld.org/threads/grey-market-sec-smog.3112100/page-2

In the US it is rapidly getting to the point where people decide what state to live in based on which politicians are in control.

So the question is, do you want to be the person stuck with a car you cant sell or drive 10-20 years from now? The smog stuff is ugly but it really doesnt rob that much power. Its only going to get worse, not better with our old cars.

BTW smog pumps and EGR can all be rigged to be non funtional. Ive heard of ppl gutting the inside of air pumps so they look ok but do nothing. You could do same with EGR put on blanking plate and gutted EGR on top of it.

Last post by raueda1 - 25 January 2023, 03:22 PM
Quote from: Rolo on 25 January 2023, 12:47 PMI bought +1 pistons and rings from Mahle.  I ordered directly from Germany and they only have blueprints for +1 in Euro spec.  So you'll have to switch to premium gas on US spec motors.  The F1 shop made the pistons for me.
FWIW, my +1 euro pistons were supposedly 8.6:1 compression not 8.8.  I learned this from some MB rebuild manual, can't recall which.   Regardless, I use premium.  However, I have used lesser gas a couple times and never had knocking problems and my timing is advanced significantly
Quote from: rumb on 24 January 2023, 01:46 PMYes the smog stuff will not find its way back into the engine bay...

As despicable and worthless as all that smog stuff is, you could completely kill yourself and future owners from ever being able to register or even sell the car.  CA CARB is spreading and many states just plain will never allow these cars on the road if they are missing components.

Even if your state can get by I would think heavily about removing it.  I recently sold 2 vehicles because they were missing smog components and I didnt want to get stuck with the thousands of dollars it would take to put back on them.
[/quote]. Interesting point.  Does CA CARB mandate emissions testing regardless of age?  Some states just waive emissions testing altogether after a certain age.  That's the case in both Utah and Connecticut (states of relevance to ME) if 25 years old or over.  Not sure how common this is. 
Last post by Rolo - 25 January 2023, 12:47 PM
I bought +1 pistons and rings from Mahle.  I ordered directly from Germany and they only have blueprints for +1 in Euro spec.  So you'll have to switch to premium gas on US spec motors.  The F1 shop made the pistons for me.