News:

The Org
Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Test Drive / Re: An M100 transplanted into ...
Last post by Jan S - Today at 06:02 PM
Quote from: Cotton on 17 April 2022, 02:38 PM
Quote from: Jan S on 16 April 2022, 07:47 PMInteresting!

I have a 450 SE with an US 6.9 engine - works great (so far)!

Seems to work with the same engine mounts. And I have the original transmission that came with the US 4,5 liter.  (722.004), the weaker one.

Yes, originality out the window, but it's really cool with the bullet proof 6.9 8) 

Did you run into many issues during the swap?  I'm debating swapping in a 6.9 into my 1980 450sel 4.5.  I have a good running 6.9 engine with 116k miles and the 4.5 in my car is getting tired.  Looks like a pretty straight forward swap,  but I've found very little information when researching it,  so any info is appreciated.

Cotton, sorry for the late reply ... I must have missed it  :(

A previous owner did the swap, at least 8 years ago ... or earlier, so I can't help you with specific information about the job.

A few facts and observations:

- Car and engine run great (car US 1975 450 SE, engine US 1977 6.9)
- The trans is from the original setup, i.e. 722.004 (the 6.9 normally comes with the 722.003)
- the 6.9 steering knuckle is "reinforced" - I have the one from the original setup
- the previous owner did not reinstall the AC components, washer tank, +++

Do you need pics?

Test Drive / Re: 4000 km road-trip and cont...
Last post by Jan S - Today at 05:43 PM
Quote from: revilla on Today at 04:13 PM

Thanks for the information!
Last post by Jan S - Today at 05:10 PM
Yes, I'm planning a Classics & Coffee "AFTERWORK" on a Thursday. Will be fun.
Last post by revilla - Today at 04:13 PM

Mechanicals / Re: Abrupt K-jet wierdness and...
Last post by s class - Today at 03:03 PM
Sky high pressures suggest a blockage in the return, or issues with the pressure regulator, causing the pump to basically stall.

You are correct checking the return line with compressed air.  If that checks OK then the primary pressure regulator may have jammed.  Unscrew the regulator with 16mm across the flats towards the rear.  Retrieve the shims and pressure spring.  Then see if the piston will come out.  It has a rubber seal at the front end.  I've seen a couple of occurrences where this seal has split and gone down the return line allowing the piston the jam.
Shop / 6.9 transmission
Last post by raueda1 - Today at 11:47 AM
Need to be rid of it.  This is a "franken-transmission" hybrid comprised of:

> an allegedly working junkyard transmission and
  > parts out of my original transmission prior to rebuilding a few years ago.

It was completely reassembled by my transmission guy after my rebuild and is complete (not a box of parts).  It wasn't tested and probably needs new bands, so I'd consider it either for parts or as core to rebuild.  Asking $300.  Would consider delivery to UT, CA, NV and northern NM and AZ but no freight/shipping.  PLease PM me for more info and save it from the dumpster!  Thanks and cheers,
Last post by Jan S - Today at 09:03 AM
Quote from: ptashek on Yesterday at 05:08 PM
Quote from: Jan S on Yesterday at 02:37 PMMercedes Benz Museum and Classic Center, Fellbach - here he comes!

Remember that under museum rules, you are allowed to park your classic right in front of the entrance in Stuttgart.
There is a designated area, not far from the statue of Fangio.

See here for details: https://forum.w116.org/test-drive/best-parking-spot-in-stuttgart/

Revilla already used my tip, and with success :)

YES!!! I saw that on their homepage ... I love those sort of privileges  ;D 
Last post by Jan S - Today at 06:36 AM
Quote from: mrkozzy on Today at 05:15 AMI would have thought the absolute best "tool" or "back-up" you can take with you would be
Breakdown Assistance Coverage or AA or whatever its called in Norway.

(Try https://www.vikingassistance.no/)  or something similar. They would have Europe wide coverage.

I've got the top cover on my Benz and I use it at least once a year.  Anything from a flat battery to a breakdown last year. My car was put on a Flatbed tow truck and delivered to my home over 200 kilometers away from where it stopped. Turns out the trigger points had fouled.  They sent my wife and I home in a Taxi! (2 hours 45 minutes - no charge)

I even get 1 nights accommodation in a budget hotel if I'm too far away. Whilst you may be prepared and carry a trunk full of spares, its the one spare you Don't carry that will leave you stranded.

Enjoy the trip.

Yes, I have Oldtimer Insurance and 24/7 Road Assistance. I used it once - a shot fuel injection relay resulted in an unpleasant ride on a flatbed tow truck for 1 hour :'(  (took me a few weeks to identify the shot ice cube relay).
Last post by Jan S - Today at 06:26 AM
Quote from: revilla on Today at 12:15 AMI can confirm about the privilege to park just in front the museum!
We did the museum, the classic center, the guided tour of the Sindelfingen assembly plant and the Motor World (including a quick tour of the nicely decorated hotel rooms, google that to see).
Have a nice and safe trip.
Ps.: so your "low" temp issue, was it finally what I thought? Your temperature sensor on top of the engine?

Sounds great, look forward to it!

Yes, engine coolant temp sensor was shot, you were right (https://forum.w116.org/mechanicals/6-9-k-jetronic-rough-and-high-idle-cold-start/msg152650/#msg152650)
Last post by mrkozzy - Today at 05:15 AM
I would have thought the absolute best "tool" or "back-up" you can take with you would be
Breakdown Assistance Coverage or AA or whatever its called in Norway.

(Try https://www.vikingassistance.no/)  or something similar. They would have Europe wide coverage.

I've got the top cover on my Benz and I use it at least once a year.  Anything from a flat battery to a breakdown last year. My car was put on a Flatbed tow truck and delivered to my home over 200 kilometers away from where it stopped. Turns out the trigger points had fouled.  They sent my wife and I home in a Taxi! (2 hours 45 minutes - no charge)

I even get 1 nights accommodation in a budget hotel if I'm too far away. Whilst you may be prepared and carry a trunk full of spares, its the one spare you Don't carry that will leave you stranded.

Enjoy the trip.