News:

The ORG
100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Mechanicals / Re: 280 SE fuel level sender -...
Last post by revilla - Today at 01:15 AM
Hi
Definitely repairable!
Don't get your money stolen from some eBay, and others, speculators.
Don't waste an interesting learning opportunity and the REWARDING feeling to have fixed something in your car.
Throwing parts at it and crossing your fingers that it would work will suck you up into draining money unnecessarily.  No merit.
Here's another thread with a video.
Careful with those wires, they are less than hair thin. But in most cases in the many I have repaired they aren't broken, just not making contact.
Tell us what you find and we'll gladly guide you through the repair process. Each case is different. There are many different failure modes of this little and interesting gadget.

https://forum.w116.org/mechanicals/fuel-gage-repair/msg143496/#msg143496

Last post by sutekh - Yesterday at 11:16 PM
Quote from: Feather535 on Yesterday at 09:02 PMOr can it be repaired?  I didn't see an obvious way to open it up when I had it out of the car.

https://forum.w116.org/mechanicals/1979-300sd-reserve-fuel-light-stays-on/msg153312/#msg153312
Last post by daantjie - Yesterday at 09:31 PM
Ebay
Mechanicals / 280 SE fuel level sender - whe...
Last post by Feather535 - Yesterday at 09:02 PM
So I tested resistance in the fuel level sender in my 280SE and it fails.  There is no continuity regardless of the float position, which explains why the gauge always reads empty.

Does anyone know where to buy a new one?  My usual US parts suppliers don't have them.

Or can it be repaired?  I didn't see an obvious way to open it up when I had it out of the car.
Mechanicals / Re: Parts Search/Valve Cover V...
Last post by john erbe - 30 September 2022, 02:20 PM
Thanks all. Had car smog tested yesterday. Passed but tech brought the condition of the two hoses to my attention. In that the Green Police want these cars off the road i need to correct any possible future issue.
Last post by rumb - 30 September 2022, 01:15 PM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/154333414546

This might be a older version?

Last post by Jan S - 30 September 2022, 09:35 AM
John, I searched for the first hose a while back. Unsuccessful.

I decided to order a silicone hose from a hose company. Quit expensive, due to the tooling. And, it turned out the silicone hose is not 100% oil resistant ... less life I guess. Sloppy on my part.

The 100-hose is also NLA. I made that one by using various hoses, connectors and clamps. Not much space above the air intake. 

Last post by daantjie - 30 September 2022, 12:01 AM
I'm pretty sure for the rear one at the RHS valve cover connection you can use one from pretty much any V8 from this era with KJET as long as it has the connection for the leak line from the fuel pressure damper.

The connection on the air filter housing is pretty long from memory so there should be a fair bit of give here to maneuver.
Last post by john erbe - 29 September 2022, 08:48 PM
Yes, and I will now attempt to attach...
Last post by nathan - 29 September 2022, 06:24 PM
Hi John,

would you happen to have pictures of the parts you are after.  I couldn't find them on google!

regards from WA