News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Mechanicals / Re: Over heating m110 engine
Last post by mrkozzy - Today at 05:34 AM
Ditto to the comments by rumb'

I've only overheated 2 times in my cars 45 year ownership.
Both times was down to some part of the system being worn or dated.
And just recently I discovered the system losing water. It was simply simply a faulty radiator cap.
I've taken the radiator out 3 times now, roughly every 10 years and sent it off to be professionally cleaned in an acid bath. Perhaps thats kept it in good stead.
Mechanicals / Re: Replacing Indicator Relays
Last post by Alex - Yesterday at 08:47 PM
Quote from: rumb on Yesterday at 08:28 AMCheck the resistance and voltage  of wires in each socket. I would expect them to be similar.

Also be aware bad grounds lead to problems. The main ground for the rear harness is behind the RR passenger seat.

I will take a look at the grounding cable this afternoon. If the resistance of the wires is different, would it be best to just replace them?
Test Drive / Re: My 6.9's
Last post by rumb - Yesterday at 01:09 PM
IT's ALIVE!  Well.... sort of.  3 out of 4 corners are now risen. Right front not so much.  I suspect crud in lines or perhaps valve. Need to figure out diagnosis plan.  I will probably take small line off where it enters accumulator and see if fluid comes out and work back from there.
Mechanicals / Re: Over heating m110 engine
Last post by rumb - Yesterday at 08:35 AM
Generally these cars need entire system to be in order. Radiator, fan clutch, thermostat and water pump. And ac fan.
Last post by rumb - Yesterday at 08:28 AM
Check the resistance and voltage  of wires in each socket. I would expect them to be similar.

Also be aware bad grounds lead to problems. The main ground for the rear harness is behind the RR passenger seat.
Last post by Gpapaniko - Yesterday at 08:01 AM
I'd use genuine or a very good auto electrician may have an alternative
Mechanicals / Over heating m110 engine
Last post by Magyar - Yesterday at 06:30 AM
Hi, all of the M110 powered 280se cars ive owned overheated, why do these engines always over heat?

How do I prevent it from over heating?
Last post by Alex - Yesterday at 01:55 AM
Quote from: Gpapaniko on 26 March 2024, 06:24 AMMy relay was under the dash on my 1980 280SEL, replaced it after slow flashing or indicators remaining stuck on.  Original OEM from Pelican Parts at around AU$250. Now works fine.  Fast flashing (if consistent) is a sign of bulb out not a relay in my experience.  One way to check is to swap out with a working relay from a mate with the same relay and see what happens then decide.  Check if bulbs and internal indicators work, you may also have a short in the rear tail light assembly - I'd give that a clean as well with some electrical contact cleaner.  Good luck

Don't have any mates with the same relay to be borrowing.

I have swapped the bulbs with fresh ones, and the issue persists. When I didn't have a bulb at all, it was real quick. (So the relay is changing with varied resistance). The internal indicators work fine. Where would a short for the rear tail light assembly be? - the housing is plastic.

Thoughts on aftermarket relays?
Mechanicals / Re: Belt sizes 280 se m110
Last post by UTn_boy - 26 March 2024, 06:24 PM
Different years and versions of the M-110 used different size belts. Currently, we have no idea what version your have.  It's best to have your engine number handy and then use the EPC.  Otherwise, post your engine number and we can help you here on the forum. 
Test Drive / Re: My 6.9's
Last post by BMA - 26 March 2024, 05:52 PM
ABS won't fit anymore, if not creating space by getting rid of some parts :-)