News:

The ORG
No shonky business!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Test Drive / Re: Mercedes-Benz Classic
Last post by marku - Today at 06:33 AM
Bit negative glad to see the 116 get any air time. Never had any problem getting parts really. I don't think the 116 is particular neglected. There are always write ups now and then and the All Stars site features the 116 quite prominently with a few on sale.
Mechanicals / Re: 450 SEL 6.9 Tie Rod Part N...
Last post by raueda1 - Today at 05:52 AM
This is great info.  I'll be getting an alignment shortly (uneven tire wear).  This would be the time to replace tie rods but my ignorance of the front end/steering/alignment/etc is total.  I don't have any obvious issues that I'm aware of - or maybe I do but I'm not aware?  Given vehicle age, unknown mileage etc should I just replace on principal?  Thaks and cheers,
Mechanicals / Re: engine rough idle
Last post by Randys01 - Today at 02:21 AM

You're probably wondering why the dirth of responses?
The answer is not straight forward.
This topic has been dealt with a dozen times over the years.
It always leads to the same thing. You cannot ask why is it "missing" when the answer is 5 paragraphs minimum.

For a start...the temp gauge.
Is it actually getting a reliable and constant source of coolant flowing past it? OR
Most likely a bad connection where the sender unit in the head meets the terminal ..make sure that contact is 101%. 
Is the sender dodgey? Remove from cyl head and test it.
All ok?
What about the continuity of the wire from the sender to the gauge?
Test for continuity.
All good to this point?
 Must be the gauge. Remove speedo binacle..a career in itself. Test gauge. No go?..must be the gauge.
Send it for repair...repair yourself..replace as appropriate.

The miss when cold. Oh boy how long is a piece of string.?

Start with electricals..the basics. 

Distributor cap?........plug leads.? spark plugs. All good? Are you sure? how have you gone about testing these?
Don't waste your time.buy 8 new plugs.

Now fuel. you are lucky. You have D jetronic.

You seem to have isolated  a couple of cyls. They are sooty. So they are not working. This points to electrical BUT they could be a couple of injectors running rich. 
Swap the injectors with a couple that are clean.

Either the same cyl will clag up which case there is an electrical supply to the plugs issue OR
the cylinders that bomb out will be the ones that the injectors were swapped with.

Simple.
Note: I'm not super sure about D jectronic  but don't try cleaning the plugs. Once they've fouled they are cactus.
Report in.
Last post by daantjie - Yesterday at 09:11 PM
Quote from: UTn_boy on Yesterday at 06:02 PMThe tie rods on a 6.9 are not unique to the 6.9.  The original part number has changed 4-5 times over the last 40+ years.  The current recognized part number is the number you have already found...... 123-330-18-03, and is correct.  This particular tie rod fits many models, which is why you see so many other references. 

The tie rods are still readily available from Mercedes.  There is no need to buy an inferior part from Rock Auto.  Naturally, the ones from Mercedes are a little more expensive, but they'll out last us.  The ones from Rock Auto you'll be replacing within a year or two with normal to little usage.  So pick your poison, I guess, but I can't recommend installing an inferior part on such an important and critical part/area of a car. 

Indeed Aaron is spot on here as usual.  I got new ones from the Classic Centre for not too much money.  Rockauto really sells bargain basement stuff and I would avoid them if possible.
Last post by UTn_boy - Yesterday at 06:02 PM
The tie rods on a 6.9 are not unique to the 6.9.  The original part number has changed 4-5 times over the last 40+ years.  The current recognized part number is the number you have already found...... 123-330-18-03, and is correct.  This particular tie rod fits many models, which is why you see so many other references. 

The tie rods are still readily available from Mercedes.  There is no need to buy an inferior part from Rock Auto.  Naturally, the ones from Mercedes are a little more expensive, but they'll out last us.  The ones from Rock Auto you'll be replacing within a year or two with normal to little usage.  So pick your poison, I guess, but I can't recommend installing an inferior part on such an important and critical part/area of a car. 
Mechanicals / engine rough idle
Last post by Rob Smith - Yesterday at 05:22 PM
I'm having an issue with my 1973 450se. When started cold, idle is really rough sounds like a few plugs not firing and #4 and #8 plugs sooty. The temp gauge is erratic and doesn't seem to move any.   I haven't let it warm up because it's too rough. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rob Smith
Mechanicals / Re: What have you done for you...
Last post by Jan S - Yesterday at 03:25 PM
Quote from: ptashek on 20 May 2022, 02:49 PM
Quote from: Jan S on 20 May 2022, 10:31 AMptashek, would be interesting if you could elaborate regarding your statement .... "Truth be told, I much prefer driving either of my W124s these days. The refinement over just 9 years separating my 200T and the 450SE is incredible".

Sure :)

Simply put, comfort wise the W124 (the 200T in this case) outclasses my 450SE in every respect. Cabin noise, road feel, seat comfort. The 200T is just as serviceable as the 450SE, but parts supply is much better with thousands still on the road. Where it lacks is torque (140 v 370Nm), power (109 v 222HP) and - maybe - looks. End result? 7.5k miles between the two W124s in 2 years, and less than 700 in the W116.

Thanks!

I believe I see what you mean. The W116 looks great, is rock solid but close to 50 years ... says it all. But I love the car ... and strangely, the faster I go the more stable it gets (up to a certain point).

Mechanicals / 450 SEL 6.9 Tie Rod Part Numbe...
Last post by Neil4speed - Yesterday at 01:05 PM
Hey everyone! Finally started the mechanical refresh of the 6.9 and things have progressed well. My mechanic has identified a handful of things for me to do as due diligence and he suggested the front tie rod ends.

After getting the wrong part from Rock Auto for the oil filter - I am being doubly diligent to ensure I get the right one for the Tie Rods.

The part numbers (even from my chassis catalog) seem a bit all over the place. I know that the 6.9 has different steering setup to the other W116's.

Rock Auto suggests (left and right) DELPHI TL2048 and DELPHI TL2049 which reference the following parts numbers respectively;

1163300203, 1263300303, 1263300503

and

1073300203, 160306314, 43933036500

-

Whereas, I have seen postings on here, as well as some ebay links that suggest that it is 123 330 18 03. I am seeing the same from FCPEuro as well.

I am thoroughly confused and don't want to fall into the parts hunting mission too far again - any thoughts or experiences anyone can lend me?
Test Drive / Re: Mercedes-Benz Classic
Last post by UTn_boy - 24 May 2022, 08:41 AM
Yes.  It's because the W116 is not a highly coveted or sought out model among the masses, and because Mercedes knows that the majority of W116 owners will not pay what it would cost to offer many parts to be remade.  Much of the same goes for W123, W124, W201, and W126 cars.  More so the W140, as the W140 was an embarrassment to Mercedes, and they'd rather sweep it under the rug.  When it comes to the W140, Mercedes was able to build the best car in the world (at the time) with the cheapest parts possible.  Doing so caught up with them really fast, and they ended up loosing millions of dollars on the W140 for warranty work they had to honor.  The earlier models were made well enough, and were long lived for the generation they were made in, but 30-40 years later the demand is small compared to other models, and most owners haven't the money to spend on spare parts.  Essentially, there is no money to be made in supporting the W116. 

For example, around 10 years ago Mercedes had a new batch of W116 gas tanks made.  They still have 80% of them in stock because not many, if any, are willing to pay $2,000 USD on a gas tank for a car the owner paid $500 for. 

So we have to rely on each of us in this group to keep parts flowing since Mercedes won't support the W116.  I think we'll always be able to get maintenance parts and the like, but anything else is questionable.