News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts for over 20 years!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Test Drive / Re: Introducing my 350SE
Last post by ptashek - Today at 04:29 PM
About 10k$ or 122k$ in today's money.
Mechanicals / Re: Becker Mexico Cassette '77...
Last post by jpgcl84 - Today at 03:50 PM
280S - Becker Monza owner here, I decided against using these 6-pin adapters and went for an alternative/cheaper solution. Installed a 12v lighter socket in a round hole of the steel frame on the left side of the trunk, and plugged a FM Bluetooth transmitter into it. I got the 12v feed from the + from the electric aerial. Chose the 88.0 frequency which in my area remains unused. The socket/transmitter gets power only when I turn on the Becker receiver and the aerial goes up. If I turn it off, it all goes off. If I want to listen to the radio or a cassette, I just tune another frequency or insert the tape. The whole setup is a tight fit and hides behind the trunk carpet.

Cheers!   
Last post by mrkozzy - Today at 01:13 PM
37,000 deutschmarks in 1972.

I wonder how may Oz $ that was at the time?  Anyone know the calculation.?
Mechanicals / Re: which way to go?.....Air c...
Last post by Neil4speed - Today at 12:23 PM
Fabulous news, and great story!! Well done Mr. Ramiro
Last post by Jezz - Yesterday at 06:40 PM
Thanks for the kind words!

Here are some interior pictures...
Mechanicals / Re: Becker Mexico Sound Qualit...
Last post by raueda1 - Yesterday at 07:17 AM
QuoteI'm not too versed on when the speakers changed, but mine is a 77 and shes got the little dinky dash speakers.

Perhaps my best option would be to replace the rear speakers and see how the sound is with a decent FM transmitter or cassette adapter.

Maybe I can live with the original amp for a bit, then later consider upgrading just the AMP, a modern AMP hopefully should make a decent difference.
Same as me.  My car is also 77 (Nov 1976 build).  The front shape and mounts are bizzare.  It wasn't easy to find substitutes and I couldn't really get them mounted as well as I wanted.  But still light years ahead of what was there.
Mechanicals / Re: Replacing Indicator Relays
Last post by Alex - Yesterday at 06:56 AM
Solution!

I'll keep it short and sweet for somebody in the future to follow along to.

Before the fix

Bosch Relay has 3 pins. Bosch relay follows DOT/SAE standard: J590C/J945
(Aus local parts store) Repco has Narva flashers with 3 pins, and the same standard (J590/J945) [No C- dont know what it means haha]
The flasher is 21W x 6 bulbs, w116 has 4, but it works fine regardless.

The Bosch Relay features 3 prongs labelled: 49, 49a and 31.
49: +/ignition
49a: Lamps (the flashing one)
31: -/Ground

The replacement features:
B or X: +/ignition
L: Lamps (flashy)
E: -/Ground

(It can vary so please read the label on the box)

Soldered on terminals

Neatened it up a touch

I then soldered on some cabling, and put some connectors on. And voila, works fantastic.

Finished product

Perhaps if one was so accustomed to a blinker sound, a buzzer could be attached to the flashing line of the relay, but I personally dislike the sound, so I just left it as is, with a quiet tick tick.
Mechanicals / Re: Becker Mexico Sound Qualit...
Last post by Alex - Yesterday at 06:39 AM
Quote from: UTn_boy on 10 June 2024, 02:22 AMYou'll be surprised at how the original paper coned speakers sound.  They're unlike any modern speakers sound.  Yes, modern examples exist, but the original paper coned speakers will far surpass anything that is available today.  Bear in mind that the acoustics in a W116 are not conducive to high end sounds.   The best thing that you can do is buy new paper coned speakers from places such as Konigs.com.   Modern speakers are more or less a piss in the wind.   
That may explain my rear speakers, they are completely fucked. Just blown, no good sound out of them, pure crumple.

My front ones are mediocre but fine for now.

Quote from: raueda1 on 10 June 2024, 11:59 AM
Quote from: UTn_boy on 10 June 2024, 02:22 AMYou'll be surprised at how the original paper coned speakers sound.  They're unlike any modern speakers sound.  Yes, modern examples exist, but the original paper coned speakers will far surpass anything that is available today.  Bear in mind that the acoustics in a W116 are not conducive to high end sounds.  The best thing that you can do is buy new paper coned speakers from places such as Konigs.com.  Modern speakers are more or less a piss in the wind. 
That's true, but not in a good way IMHO.  While I tend to be an originalist, I have to respectfully differ on this one.  To be clear, my car is on the older end of the W116 range and had the teeny front speakers on the lower part of the dashboard.  Maybe MB upgraded at some point thereafter. In any case, I think it's a safe bet that most folks would prefer more contemporary speakers.  Speakers are also an easily reversible upgrade in case it turns out not be an upgrade after all.   Cheers,

I'm not too versed on when the speakers changed, but mine is a 77 and shes got the little dinky dash speakers. They are an odd size too...

Perhaps my best option would be to replace the rear speakers and see how the sound is with a decent FM transmitter or cassette adapter.

Maybe I can live with the original amp for a bit, then later consider upgrading just the AMP, a modern AMP hopefully should make a decent difference.
Last post by Randys01 - 10 June 2024, 05:56 PM
We welcome another owner!.and in Aust!
Nice looking car....and he has the papers!
I too look forward to seeing the interior but let's not wait?!
Last post by BMA - 10 June 2024, 05:05 PM
amazing car and very rare color!
And such an early model. Congrats and enjoy cruising.