News:

The ORG
No shonky business!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Mechanicals / Re: Replacement Stereo + Door ...
Last post by SteveDuNord - Today at 09:33 AM
Quote from: ptashek on Today at 04:52 AMUK cars also came with other Blaupunkt radios - dealer installed on delivery as it was cheaper than the factory option. The Coburg model was popular.

Do they sound crappy? Absolutely.

Haha.

The more I look at the continental/VDO unit the more I like it. I think with my car being a 77 MY, it wouldn't look to out of place.
Mechanicals / Re: Transmission fluid change ...
Last post by SteveDuNord - Today at 09:31 AM
Quote from: Jan S on Today at 08:06 AMAccording to Mercedes you drain the torque converter. (https://cdn.w116.org/cd/Maintenance/My72/170.pdf)

I believe it's ok to use a pump extractor ... I have used it once to correct the oil level.

Thanks.

I noticed today that the transmission was hanging onto a lower gear until 75 mph, which didn't feel or sound right to me.

Checked the level after arriving home and it is overfilled.

Last post by Jan S - Today at 08:11 AM
I'm surprised to see that the 6.9 was delivered with "the weaker" 722.004 trans ... I thought all 6.9 were delivered with the reinforced 722.003.

See page 1: https://cdn.w116.org/cd/Maintenance/My72/170.pdf
Last post by Jan S - Today at 08:06 AM
According to Mercedes you drain the torque converter. (https://cdn.w116.org/cd/Maintenance/My72/170.pdf)

I believe it's ok to use a pump extractor ... I have used it once to correct the oil level.

Mechanicals / Re: What have you done for you...
Last post by Jan S - Today at 06:55 AM
Nice work! And car looks great with whitewalls and hubcaps!
Mechanicals / Transmission fluid change ques...
Last post by SteveDuNord - Today at 04:59 AM
Firstly, do you also change the torque converter fluid or not? I've seen conflicting opinions.

Secondly, if you drain the transmission fluid using a pump extractor via the filler tube, does this drain anything from the torque convertor?

I'm guessing not. I'm also guessing the tube from the extractor won't go deep enough to get all the fluid out anyway. I'll be renewing the filter and gasket and am expecting some residual oil to drip out,  just using the extractor so I don't have to deal with litres of fluid while underneath the car.
I'm aware that you have to crank the engine to reveal the TC drain plug.
Last post by ptashek - Today at 04:52 AM
UK cars also came with other Blaupunkt radios - dealer installed on delivery as it was cheaper than the factory option. The Coburg model was popular.

Do they sound crappy? Absolutely.
Last post by revilla - Today at 01:46 AM
Very impressive. Good job there. I never thought of hubcaps unpainted. I love them. I think partially due to the fact they are on an astrasilber body. You're giving me ideas. Well done with this project.
Last post by sutekh - Yesterday at 06:30 PM
For the sake of this post, more like "What have you done for your W116 this week?"

I've been slowly amassing parts to completely rebuild the brakes on my 300SD and install new tires / switch to steelies & hubcaps while I was at it. I started this process 3 days ago, and finally finished last night at 2am (just in time for a few hours of sleep before cars and coffee this morning!)

All said and done, the butchers bill was as follows:

Brakes:
  • Front / rear rotors
    • Zimmerman vs. OE, but they're from FCP so lifetime warranty applies if they warp.
  • Front / rear Akebono EUR1072 ceramic pads
    • Some may have feelings about this. Consider it a matter of preference. I install cermamics on all my Germans. I prefer the the braking characteristics, don't care about rotor wear (always replace them with pads anyway), and HATE brake dust ruining my wheels.
    • One caveat of note: No one offers a ceramic pad for the fronts of my pre-s/n 014085 car. I ordered the later Akebonos anyway and it turns out the only real difference is friction material thickness. The newer chassis' rotors must be thinner and the gap for the rotor between the pads was too narrow, even with the pistons fully compressed. I sanded ~0.5mm off of all 4 with some 220grit and they work perfectly.
  • Front / rear brake lines
    • I really wanted to install a set of stainless lines, but I ordered a set from Deerfield precision and they never shipped and wouldn't respond to me. Finally had to contest the charges. Buyers beware!
  • Fresh Pentosin brake fluid
  • Rebuilt all 4 calipers with fresh seals
  • Repacked all 4 front bearings and replaced both seals
    • This job Sucks™. Removing the Allen bolts that secure the rotors to the carriers is a PITA. God bless MAPP gas and modern high-torque electric impact drivers.
    • Regarding bearing pre-load (or lack thereof), opinions on this and other forums is all over the map. I tightened the pinch nut just to the point there was no lash, then +10deg. Bearings are nice and quiet and nothing has exploded  :o

Wheels / Tires:
  • 4 x 6.5in x 14in steelies (p/n 1084000802)
    • Found a straight set on the auction site and had them powder coated locally. They looks so good I almost hate to hide them :)
  • 7 x 14in stainless hubcaps
    • That's right, 7. Had to buy that many to find 4 straight, rash-free examples, and then stripped / polished them.
    • Still trying to decide whether or not to paint them. I ordered a couple of rattle cans of my paint code, but I kinda like the polished look too...
  • 4 x Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP IIs
    • Gotta have whitewalls with hubcaps on a car this color!
    • 195 /75 R14

Aside from a a seized compression fitting I had to cut off and re-double flare, all went more or less according to plan. I put 50mi on the car this morning, and it rides and stops well. Looks okay too IMO  8)
Last post by SteveDuNord - Yesterday at 04:33 PM
I have a CD head unit that I'm keen to get rid of.

The previous owner had a shop wire in new speakers, there are two on the parcel shelf and some up front, somewhere, I haven't looked.

Anyway, having recoiled at the price of period Beckers, I noticed that UK cars came optioned with Blaupunkt Frankfurt radios. And today they are half the price of the Beckers. Here's a cool looking one that I saw:

And you can get bluetooth modules for them with hands free if required.

Wonder how crappy it sounds?  ;D