News:

The W116 Library
The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Mechanicals / Re: K-jet troubles - totally s...
Last post by raueda1 - Today at 11:27 AM
Quote from: UTn_boy on Yesterday at 09:22 PM
Quote from: raueda1 on Yesterday at 10:47 AM
Quote from: UTn_boy on 12 August 2022, 09:42 PM
Quote from: raueda1 on 11 August 2022, 08:40 PM
Quote from: rumb on 31 July 2022, 01:40 PMPerhaps start considering sending the WUR and FD to CIS Flowtech for testing and calibration?
i called them today in my darkest hour.  They're 9-12 weeks out!  wtf?

They're that good.  It's worth the wait.   No one else in the U.S. can come close to how good they are at what they do. 
good perhaps but not perfect.  I got a rebuilt WuR back from them about 3 years ago.  It was all fine EXCEPT for fuel enrichment, which was about a 1.2 bar drop rather than 0.5 orso (coincidentally one of my recent problems).  Basically it didn't work.  By coincidence I had another working WUR.

We shouldn't let one mistake condemn them.  No company is perfect. 
That's true, and I don't.  Unfortunately my sample size is 1 and it was a dud.  And as it is, I'm back in business with the car.  So I'm gonna send it back and let them have at it again.
Test Drive / Re: How many 6.9's do you thin...
Last post by Eyeman - Today at 10:43 AM
On the used as daily driver or not, I have seen way more US 6.9s with low mileage than higher mileage (maybe just because the high mileage ones are dead and gone).  I have the impression most were bought by owners with multiple cars and multiple car garages.  Either way, as others have said, unless someone keeps making some of the specialized parts we'll be in trouble.  I also own a 190SL, you can pretty much still buy that car piece by piece still (but some of the pieces are expensive).  Hopefully at least the W116 replacement type parts stay available and then a few specialized places worldwide continue to deal with the 6.9 items.
Last post by UTn_boy - Yesterday at 09:28 PM
Quote from: rumb on Yesterday at 06:06 PMI was searching for 6.9 for sale and found a few asking as high as $117k in europe.

Somwone thinks they are valuable.

Within about 10 years all the parts ones will filter out and only the small number will remain most in fine form. Parts will become sparce to restore then condition and remaining rarity kick in.

Rarity doesn't always mean valuable.  If there is no interest, then it matters not whether there are 10 left in the world or 50.  Without interest, values will remain stagnant.  The 300sel 6.3 and the 600 are good examples in this regard. 
Last post by UTn_boy - Yesterday at 09:22 PM
Quote from: raueda1 on Yesterday at 10:47 AM
Quote from: rumb on 31 July 2022, 01:40 PMPerhaps start considering sending the WUR and FD to CIS Flowtech for testing and calibration?

They're that good.  It's worth the wait.   No one else in the U.S. can come close to how good they are at what they do. 
good perhaps but not perfect.  I got a rebuilt WuR back from them about 3 years ago.  It was all fine EXCEPT for fuel enrichment, which was about a 1.2 bar drop rather than 0.5 orso (coincidentally one of my recent problems).  Basically it didn't work.  By coincidence I had another working WUR.

We shouldn't let one mistake condemn them.  No company is perfect. 
Last post by rumb - Yesterday at 06:06 PM
I was searching for 6.9 for sale and found a few asking as high as $117k in europe.

Somwone thinks they are valuable.

Within about 10 years all the parts ones will filter out and only the small number will remain most in fine form. Parts will become sparce to restore then condition and remaining rarity kick in.
Last post by SteveDuNord - Yesterday at 02:54 PM
Quote from: revilla on 12 August 2022, 12:01 AMI know it's too late, sorry been disconnected for some time, but that's why I apply a small deviation to the std written procedure when measuring system delivery volume: I mesure it 2 times; at the FD outlet first and after at the inlet and compare both to rule out FD internal blockage. The CIS KJet guide is great but in my experience it requires interpretation/understanding in so many different chapters, this one being an example. The good thing here is that the experience described will serve to other forum members in the future, and that's the spirit.

Would the fuel inlet volume be higher than the outlet figure?
Last post by daantjie - Yesterday at 01:29 PM
In the same vein, do we think 6.9's will ever become highly collectible?  I have expressed reservations about this in the past and still have my doubts.
6.3 values are languishing in part due to Boomers dying off and part cost and scarcity.
GenX seems to want 80's and 90's cars so I think cars from mid to late the 70's are kind of stuck.
Last post by raueda1 - Yesterday at 10:47 AM

Last post by s class - Yesterday at 10:33 AM
The situation is further complicated by the fact that a lot of private imports took place between countries,so for example ita not uncommon to find euro spec 6.9s in the US and Australia.

To my knowledge there are approximately 11 6.9s on South Africa.  All are private imports, and 7 - 8 are operational.  I'll start a separate thread on the subject of 6.9s in south africa
Last post by Neil4speed - Yesterday at 09:29 AM
Thanks for the comments all, this is like a puzzle, without an accurate answer likely :)

So using the indicator of 24 registered currently in the UK, and 47 being out of commission (held in someone's garage/barn etc. but not registered). in 1995 there was about 97 licensed, assuming a small decline rate from the years of 1975-1995, I wonder if we could triangulate the 'operational form' gross approximation if we knew how many were made for the UK market

I know that 1,816 were made for the us Market, and I believe Nathan (W116) member said ~200 were made for the Australian market.