News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Shop / L and R Std Wheelbase Door Car...
Last post by atatexan - Yesterday at 05:52 PM
I bought right and left rear door cards when I acquired my Euro 350SE. I thought it a good idea to have a spare set. The ones on my car are holding up just fine and I do not think I will ever need this pair. R and L door cards, ashtrays, grab handles, and trim parts all in good condition. They can be dyed to match any interior.

They are listed on eBay without any watchers. These are great parts for someone with a 280S/SE, 300SD, 450SE, or a 350SE. Not an SEL. I will give them to however needs them for just the cost of shipping. I want help another collector more than needing the money.
Shop / L and R Std Wheelbase Door Car...
Last post by atatexan - Yesterday at 05:51 PM
 I bought right and left rear door cards when I acquired my Euro 350SE. I thought it a good idea to have a spare set. The ones on my car are holding up just fine and I do not think I will ever need this pair. R and L door cards, ashtrays, grab handles, and trim parts all in good condition. They can be dyed to match any interior.

They are listed on eBay without any watchers. These are great parts for someone with a 280S/SE, 300SD, 450SE, or a 350SE. Not an SEL. I will give them to however needs them for just the cost of shipping. I want help another collector more than needing the money.
Auto Torque / Re: What other Benz as daily?
Last post by johnnyw116 - 12 July 2024, 04:43 PM
My daily driver is a 1981 W123 200 Diesel , it's not the fastest car on the road but it handles and drives excellent
Interiors & Exteriors / Re: Hirshmann antennae wiring
Last post by rumb - 12 July 2024, 08:46 AM
Good info.  I did further search and found good info in older posts on subject that answered my question.
Interiors & Exteriors / Re: Hirshmann antennae wiring
Last post by UTn_boy - 12 July 2024, 02:42 AM
I believe this is one of those annoying things that Mercedes never supplied a diagram for....much like the VDO CC amps.  I'm certain that Hirshmann would have had their own schematics, but I've never seen one for the public.  It' kind of dumb since Becker always supplied a schematic for what ever model of radio the car came with. 

When looking around, bear in  mind that there were three different versions of the electric antenna that were used.  Granted, they all worked the same, but what I'm referring to is how.  The first versions worked in tandem with the radios on/off switch.  The second versions had a rocker switch on the dash that allowed for control over how high or low it was, and the last version also had a rocker switch, but in addition to having control over height, the switch had full left and full right detents to keep the mast up all the way at all times when the radio was switched on or all the way down all of the time....even if the radio was on.  The latest ones had a four pin connection instead of the regular 3 pin connection.....that may be the difference between the 6000H and the 6000U....just a guess, though.

I realize that all of what I've written may not be of much use or help to you.  I just wanted to point out that if someone has drawn out a schematic somewhere, just make sure it matches the electrical set up in your car. 
Mechanicals / Re: What have you done for you...
Last post by Jan S - 11 July 2024, 01:49 PM
Quote from: raueda1 on 28 June 2024, 08:00 AM
Quote from: Jan S on 27 May 2024, 05:03 PMLast night the 1975 450 SE with 6.9 completed a road trip to the northern parts of Norway.

Total 1.164 km (723 miles). Fantastic weather – blue sky and 25 deg C (77 deg F) - and breathtaking scenery. Sun roof open.

Record low fuel consumption 1,41 liter/10 kilometers (16,7 miles per gallon). Getting better every year!

The car ran like Swiss clockwork – no technical issues whatsoever and a joy to drive (tight and stable).
Long trips in these cars really is great fun.   And this is the best I can ever recall hearing.  My personal best was abut 14mpg for one tank of gas.  It was with a tailwind on a very flat highway down a very gradual grade (Nebraska or Iowa USA I think).   Please share your secret!  Cheers,

On previous long trips the consumption has been around 1.61 liter/10 kilometer (14.6 miles per gallon). So this is indeed unusual. I'm not sure what the secret is  ;) ... the drive was on very nice roads with speed in the range 60-100 km/h (approx. 40-60 miles/h). No passengers and hardly any luggage. I will do the return trip in September and remeasure.
Last post by rumb - 11 July 2024, 11:50 AM
I'll second the W218 CLS550.  Had ours for @8 years, no major issues, just did new strut all around as to be expected at 100K miles.  Good looking, powerful and that age is very affordable now.  $15-20k.
Mechanicals / Re: Fuse Box removal / Fuse bo...
Last post by daantjie - 10 July 2024, 11:59 AM
"Best" spot must be the lowest spot of course otherwise it won't all drain out.  You need to get it right at the firewall/bulkhead where the fender dips down, right in the corner pretty much.  It's a prick of a location to work in and likely best to remove the hood completely or just unhook and remove the hood spring and hinge there, not sure how feasible this would be but it will give you more room.  You need to bring the drain hose into the wheel well so it can drain out.  Also be sure to use a large enough hose so it does not easily get plugged with crud.

"Fun" job...
Last post by daantjie - 10 July 2024, 11:54 AM
Quote from: Grant V on 10 July 2024, 09:48 AMI bought a 2013 CLS500 Shooting Brake  and it is hands-down of of the best cars I have ever owned. It had a 4.7 twin turbo V8 and was astonishingly quick if you drove it like you stole it, but you could also idle around town like a gentleman, using all that torque. I sold it recently because we are emigrating, otherwise it would have been a keeper.

Grant, if I may ask where are you emigrating to from SA?  I am an ex Saffa as well here in Canada, Vancouver area.  Would be great to have another Benz-head here ;D   Guessing likely Oz, eh?  Are you taking all your cars with you..?
Mechanicals / Re: Fuse Box removal / Fuse bo...
Last post by Alex - 10 July 2024, 10:16 AM
Quote from: daantjie on 10 July 2024, 09:21 AMHahaha yup we old time 116ers know that the engineers took the fuse box and placed it in the worst possible place, and then added no drainage to boot.  Brutal oversight making nearly all 116 rust here.

Yup.

On another note, tomorrow I will add some drain holes after I patch the hole, any thoughts on where they should go?