News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Youtube copyright Nazis shutting off lots of early auto content

Started by John Hubertz, 06 October 2012, 10:04 PM

John Hubertz

I'm very sad - as the software and systems get more and more sophisticated at Google/YouTube I'm running into more and more dead links due to "copyright claims" from the big media companies.

I've been running into it a lot with race footage and car-test videos from the 60s and 70s.

I mean come on - what possible purpose could blocking a 1971 Mercury test drive video serve for these media giants?  It is so frustrating - and with YouTube being so universal, it isn't like there are replacement sources for the same stuff.

When I think about some guy carefully uploading his collection of vintage racing shows or commercials or test drive programs, then getting not just the videos blocked, but his whole ACCOUNT cancelled, it is just infuriating to me.  The "free" internet is rapidly going away. :'(

You know, I worry about the Ronin video, the 6.9 through Paris, etc.  It might be wise for us to "video vault" some of the best MB videos away from YouTube.  I just don't think that long-term, the corporate giant that is Google is going to accept "enthusiast interest" as an excuse to pass along supposedly "copyrighted" material (that nobody will ever, ever rebroadcast or reuse in any meaningful way).
John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

JasonP

That sucks.

Download the videos when you see them, and put them where you can. At least you always have them.

I use Firefox, and there are several downloader add-ons you can use to grab flash videos when you come across them on a web page.

It's just disgusting, the greed. 

Youtube and Google are monopolies. The internet was supposed to be open and free, that is what all the Silicon Valley weenies told us when they were trying to drum up millions of dollars for their 90% of failed enterprises. Why is there only one search engine? Why is there only one video site? It's not because they have the best software/interface/user experience, that is for damn sure. Now that they have control, they shut down every competitor.

1979 300SD
Color: 623H "Light Ivory"
1979 300SD
Color: 861H "Silver Green Metallic"
1977 280 E
Color: 606G "Maple Yellow"
-------------------------------------------

Big_Richard

JasonP

1979 300SD
Color: 623H "Light Ivory"
1979 300SD
Color: 861H "Silver Green Metallic"
1977 280 E
Color: 606G "Maple Yellow"
-------------------------------------------

Tony66_au

Its purely Google covering their arse from lawsuits, many other content hosts do the same.

Why? Because XYZ studio's can sue and win settlement against Google for hosting what we post, and once the legal precedent is set it opens the floodgates for further judgements against YOUTUBE which would snowball into massive "Lets milk Youtube for all its got" fest.

So Google pull content to cover their arses and to stop the feeding frenzy progressing or starting.

I have been reading industry commentary on this for 3 years now and it seems the studios win this round, something that Google has spent millions defending, defending your access to free content.

Im wary of Google's hugeness and their fingers in multiple pies, the information they gather is frightening yadda yadda yadda (To borrow some Yiddish).

But Jason you have the wrong end of the stick here mate, it aint Google that is the bad guy here.....

They are no worse than Micro$oft or Apple really, its the lawyers and studios that are to blame here.

BTW I use 3 search engines, Google is one of them but far from the most informative.

ZCarFan

Nobody to blame but those who vote for representatives that create the copyright legislation, or those who vote for representatives that will not repeal said legislation.

thysonsacclaim

I have several terabytes of data stored because of crap like this. I don't like the idea of storing everything in the cloud, and so while my younger friends heavily rely on YouTube for music, I have WinAmp / VLC and terabytes of videos / music.

John Hubertz

On doing further reading I've learned that content providers use computer botnets to create lists of suspect URLs, which they then batch-report to Google and other content and search providers.  The Google/YouTube servers etc. (they all do it) then AUTOMATICALLY delete access with NO HUMAN REVIEW AT ALL.

Last week, Google blocked about a million web addresses.  Here's the chart of current trends:

I discovered that for a few days recently, Microsoft auto-reported a batch of http:// addresses that essentially claimed ownership of the number "45".  Google, YouTube and everybody else obediently shut off those sites as piracy/bad. 

In this case they had reported and wiped thousands and thousands of claimed "offending" sites.  It happens constantly, but this time it zapped a bunch of corporate sites and the sh*t hit the fan.  http://boingboing.net/2012/10/07/microsoft-claims-ownership-of.html

The scary thing is, I've learned that the entire process is pretty much automated, and the big content providers are destroying perfectly good personal and e-commerce sites without recourse or penalty. 

All I can say is they better start teaching those computers to be a lot more picky about "fair use", and quit going after special interest uploads. 

Call me an optimist, but I think it will eventually work out to the benefit of all of us.  I've seen the internet phenomenon from its very beginnings, and it has weathered a lot of storms.
John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

Tony66_au

I think you are correct John, I too have watched the Internet grow from Dial up BBS's and MILnet to what it is today and this will be a teething issue for what is a mammoth task when all is said and done.

google is here to make money and they do this in many ways and as their blind exclusion will also be hitting their income stream im sure they will modify and make nice.

Sadly the culture these days is to scream loudly the moment some perceived rights violation by big brother occurs or is perceived to have occurred and its all rather a silly waste of time and energy.

I usually adopt a wait and see policy.