News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

World's smallest car...

Started by thysonsacclaim, 21 October 2010, 05:44 AM

thysonsacclaim

This is neat, though not useful quite yet.

"Using the parts inside a single molecule, scientists have constructed the world's smallest car. It has a chassis, axles and a pivoting suspension. The wheels are buckyballs, spheres of pure carbon containing 60 atoms apiece ... The whole car is no more than 4 nanometers across. That's slightly wider than a strand of DNA. A human hair is about 80,000 nanometers thick."



Live Science - Technology: The World's Smallest Car

TJ 450

Now that's what I call nanotech, they just need to construct a 116 now!

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

thysonsacclaim

That would be truly honoring our beloved 116s as the nano cars drive on veritable 'streets' of gold.

TJ 450

1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

nathan

wow,
you guys truly are the new wave of lambda lambda lambda's.
give my regards to the omega mu's  ;)
nathan
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

Big_Richard

Quote from: nathan on 21 October 2010, 09:07 AM
wow,
you guys truly are the new wave of lambda lambda lambda's.
give my regards to the omega mu's  ;)
nathan


Revenge of the Nerds, 1984  8)

flutes

Nathan - we all sit around discussing the finer point of w116's on an internet forum.  I think everyone here qualifies for the nerd title!
Matt
1977 450SEL

Big_Richard

Nerds or Geeks ?

Geeks are far better than Nerds  ::)

TJ 450

Haha,

I prefer the idea of the term geek. :D

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Big_Richard

#9
the difference was explained to me recently,

Nerds, savvy in their particular field of expertise, but useless in every other and socially retarded.

Geeks, savvy in their particular field of expertise, but still functional and normal people.
8)

Correct me if I'm wrong.

KenM

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 22 October 2010, 05:57 PM

Nerds, savvy in their particular field of expertise, but useless in every other and socially retarded.

Mmmmm, notch up a nerd here by the sounds of it..

flutes

The shifts in usage of these terms is pretty fascinating.  It's very hard to get any real clarity on this but "geek" doesn't seem to have been associated with technical expertise (or interest) until the mid-50s.  Now they are sometimes used interchangeably, but MT I think your definitions are probably the closest to current common usage.
Matt
1977 450SEL

thysonsacclaim

Quote from: flutes on 23 October 2010, 08:26 PM
The shifts in usage of these terms is pretty fascinating.  It's very hard to get any real clarity on this but "geek" doesn't seem to have been associated with technical expertise (or interest) until the mid-50s.  Now they are sometimes used interchangeably, but MT I think your definitions are probably the closest to current common usage.

So true Flutes. Geek is actually considered somewhat trendy or even desired (at least in the US). A popular electronics chain here called Best Buy has a computer tech service which is called the 'Geek Squad.' They usually drive these:


Big_Richard

Wow,

That plastic beetle just made me remember how much i liked 60's and 70's American police cars and always wanted to own one of my own  ::)

thysonsacclaim

So, this won't suit you?



Can't say I care for the color scheme. Black and white is where it's at.