News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Wheel question

Started by vlv8vic, 22 November 2011, 03:38 AM

vlv8vic

Hi everyone.
I've been given an opportunity to buy a reasonably priced 2001 SLK320 Avantgarde cabriolet.  I've been chasing decent example in black for a while.  My issue with this car is no being able to find the specs ion exactly what wheels were an option from the factory.  I know 16inches was standard but I guess I'm looking for a loophole to get it home (from another state) with the slightly over-the-top 20 inch alloys it currently has on it.
Victorian laws state the overall rolling diameter must be within 15mm of the original wheel and tyre package.  Once i get it home I'd put more sensible wheels on anyway because our roads with destroy 20s.

Any thoughts or opinions? (or you know of a nice example 2000-2002 ish for under 30k)

Japes.

Nutz

I had no idea you were a woman , Japes.

TJ 450

Is it actually an SLK, or a CLK?

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

s class

15mm tolerance in diameter?  THat's not a lot when you consider that typical new tyres have 8 to 9mm tread depth.  Difference in diameter between a new and a worn tyre could be close to 15mm. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Mforcer

The rolling diameter should not change going between 16" and 20" if the correct tyres are used. I don't believe a different speedometer calibration is used for different wheels.

You need the original tyre size and then compare to the larger tyres at the miata tire size calculator.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

WGB

In the W116 there is a different speedo for each diff ratio.

I am not sure about speedo faces where shift points may be different but I think each engine uses a different ratio anyway.

The speedo needle can be calibrated for accuracy but the odometer will always read what it's gearing prescribes.

Bill

vlv8vic

Quote from: s class on 22 November 2011, 09:02 AM
15mm tolerance in diameter?  THat's not a lot when you consider that typical new tyres have 8 to 9mm tread depth.  Difference in diameter between a new and a worn tyre could be close to 15mm.

Oh yeah i mean CLK.  Blonde moment.
The tread isn't part of the count, fortunately.  They use the wall height not including tread as part of the overall calculation.

vlv8vic

Quote from: Mforcer on 22 November 2011, 05:22 PM
The rolling diameter should not change going between 16" and 20" if the correct tyres are used. I don't believe a different speedometer calibration is used for different wheels.

You need the original tyre size and then compare to the larger tyres at the miata tire size calculator.

That's just it. With the 20s it's nearly impossible to get tyres on them that will still ride out more than running over a stone and remain within the regulatory difference of the original 16s.  I've given up on that car... another happened to pop up in unmolested condition. 

This will mean that, sadly, the 116 will be up for sale.  I don't have the garage space for another car.  It'll be sad to see it go but that's an experience I guess.