News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

What do you guys think of the 1988 300CE coupe?

Started by Ilike300sd, 07 February 2012, 10:57 AM

Ilike300sd

I'm set up to buy one this weekend and wanted to know any opinions or thoughts on this particular model.  I like the looks of it.  I like the price.  It has a lot of miles, around 250k but has been extremely well maintained and is a one owner.  "like new" is the term I would use to describe most or all of the car based on the limited info I have so far (haven't seen it in person yet).  I liked the 87 300 diesel I had but I don't know anything about the 300 gas series.  Would love to hear your input as I'm going into this one without much knowledge of that model.  Thanks!

jbrasile

Ilike300SD,

300CE's are great cars as all 124's are. In my opinion though I find them a little bit dull in the driving fun department, the M103 makes a very sedate and "boring" sound. 24 valvers (starting in  1990 in the US) are a lot more fun but still a little too plain for my taste.

Things to look out for:

1) Make sure the car does not overheat - M103's are notorious for burning head gaskets at high miles

2) Check that the transmission engages reverse quickly without any delays - failure to do so may indicate worn reverse clutches and disks and call for a rebuild

3) Check the Climate control - this system uses some electronic components do to what ACC did with vacuum, replacing the control panel usually solves most problems

4) Check that the seat belt arms work properly - the relays can be expensive

5) No major rust issues as with all 124's but check under the doors, under the rear window with the trunk open and where the lower body cladding meets the fenders and doors

I think this is basically it.

M103's should have a glass smooth idle and pull strong if you plant your foot on the floor. Remember that these cars start in 2nd gear so unless you push the kick down button or use the gear lever, performance will seem a little lackluster.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Tks,

Joe

WGB

And put on a decent set of Bilstein shockies (from Bilstein, not M-B) - they improve both the ride and the handling.

Bill

pompy

Nice car.
As Joe says, but with emphasis on keeping the motor running cool as it quickly runs hot - so make sure that visco fan is working prop'ly.
At that mileage the headgasket would've needed replacing already, so get clarity on that.
Also don't go thinner than 10w40!!
The autoboxes also last very well. Our '91 300 E now has 274 000kms on it and the box is still super smooth - It also engages reverse without delay.
Rust - check the middle above the rear windshield as well.
Performance is very good when properly tuned and all components are in good condition. Can be finnicky to get idling smooth, but when it does idle smooth, you need to check the tach to see if its actually running.
The M103 likes to rev for a 8 valve and I quite like the sound of the motor under hard accelaration - kindof restrained, but with a snarl to it!
Fuel consumption minimum 9km/l at 120km/h - excellent for a 1,6 ton motorcar.

jbrasile

pompy is right on with all his comments.

All MB engines from that era have a tendency to run hot and bounce back and forth from 95 to 105/110 deg on a hot day in heavy traffic. Personally I think this is one of the reasons M103's and 104's head gaskets have such a short life span. They are set up that way probably to reduce emissions but I recommend doing a mod so the aux fan kicks in at its lower speed every time the a/c compressor comes on. We have had a few client's cars modified that way and the improvement is remarkable, the needle almost never goes above 90C. It is very important that the radiator is in top shape as well, they are made out of aluminum and plastic and while very efficient will get clogged with age and the only solution is a replacement.

Tks,

Joe

Ilike300sd

Awesome info!  Thanks!  The heat cycling/head gasket issue is something I will really check into.  It has been really well maintained apparently so it's possible the head gaskets (I assume this is a v6?) have been replaced.  I will make a list of the other items to bring with me.  Here are some picks of the car.  A couple things that might improve it's appearance would be Euro style headlights, getting rid of the grille badges, and possibly painting that lower section to match the body color.  I think it would look cleaner without the two tone.  But probably best to try that on photoshop first to see how it looks.

pompy

jbrasile

Looks pretty nice!

I actually prefer the original look with the different color lower body panels and orange blinkers, but that's just me. By the way the wheels are from a W202, this car came with the early style 15 oval hole alloys, maybe the guy still has those...

Tks,

Joe

WGB

I am interested in the comments on heating issues with the 12 valve 300 motor as I purchased a 1 year old 126 300SE in 1988 and spent the next five years with a car that always ran hot in traffic and could easily get up to 110+ degrees before the big fan came in and cooled it down.

It had a new thermostat, radiator, fan hub and it was only tamed with changing the ludicrous 110 degree fan switch for a 100 degree one - all the time being told by the agents that my car was atypical.

The same motor had an interesting habit of snapping exhaust manifold studs which was more an interesting nuisance than real trouble and was known to afflict all the other 300 motors I knew of.

I sold it in 1994 for a brand new E280 (and sorry jbrasile but I really liked the later 124 look) which never gave me a moments bother in the four years I owned it.

Bill

pompy

Pardon me, I don't know WHERE I got 8 valve from :-[

Ilike300sd

Crap!  Someone listed a 96 E320 and I couldn't resist buying it

If anyone wants that coupe let me know.  The cost is less than $1500.  I don't really need it now but I guess I'll buy it unless someone else wants it.  Seems like a good price.

Also I'm kinda thinking of maybe selling my 79 450SEL if anyone wants that let me know. 

TJ 450

Quote from: pompy on 09 February 2012, 01:47 AM
Pardon me, I don't know WHERE I got 8 valve from :-[
Probably the M102, which also shares the same head gasket issues.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

TJ 450

With the W210... Are they now worthless? :o

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Ilike300sd

Ok so I called the seller of the 88 Coupe and he said he has 3 or 4 other poeple who will buy it sight unseen so it's no problem if I don't take it so I told him to go ahead and sell it to one of them.  I think if the 450SEL was sold I would buy it but I've been trying to reclaim my yard space and endlessly adding more cars won't do that! The 96 was too good to pass up and I would love to have both the 96 and the coupe in some ways. 

The 96 sure has a lot of fancy gizmos compared to the older cars.  It feels like a big, sedate car.  Very luxurious and somewhat elegant but doesn't have that cool factor of the W116's.  Maybe it's a mistake to sell my last W116 (the 79 450SEL), I dunno.