News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

weekend fun with the AMG W124

Started by s class, 27 July 2009, 02:44 AM

gregdeklerk

It has only now dawned on me that the AMG is a wagon! I thought it was a sedan. Those slightly deeper mags - are they AMG specific? There is a set of those lying at a scrap yard in Cape Town - do you want another set?

s class

Greg, this car is fitted with the wheels you see at the moment, plus a spare set.  The ones on the car are Lorinser 16", and yes, I would be interested in at least finding out about the set in Cape Town - can you possibly get a picture and a price?  THe car's second set are its real wheels - the genuine AMG Hammer 17" three-piece split wheels.  Beeeyootiful. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

s class

The panel shop has completed all the metal work, and done pre-paint prepping.  Its looking good!

LEFT CHASSIS RAIL

BEFORE seen from right of car

AFTER

and annotated with red lines indicating the lines that they have corrected.  The red lines are not necessarily parallel because of the taper of the chassis leg (and my MS paint skills....)

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

s class

LEFT INNER FENDER

BEFORE seen from front of car, looking down :

AFTER seen looking from the front, through the headlight bucket :

and annotated again - red lines are supposed to be straight, and are, blue lines indicate lines supposed to have a deflection.  Again, lines not necessarily parallel due to taper and parallax in the photo :

oscar

That's truly remarkable sclass.  I've been eager to see what they could do and man, what a difference.  Seemingly complex they seem to have carried out the work promptly.  I'm sure the owner will be over the moon.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

TJ 450

Yep, that's a vast improvement... very good to see. As far as I can see, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference from the factory appearance.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

gregdeklerk

Do you know who the cowboys are who did the original repair?

s class

I don't, Greg.  But there's more to it - after the orignal repair, the car suffered from fuel starvation problems.  I thus removed the fuel tank and found it was crushed on top, and had clearly been removed before.  Now the tank is specific to the station wagon, and damn expensive.  Turns out the original 'panel beater' was also fixing another S124 at the time - it appears the good tank in this car was 'borrowed' in exchange for the damaged one.  This damaged one had all the internal baffling crushed and broken, and the outlet was partially blocked.  I was lucky to obtain a good used tank, which I flushed and fitted. 

Big_Richard

thankfully in Australia, we have an independent body known as the "motor traders association" which is the peak motor industry body in Australia. Its members who display the "MTA" member sign, such as panel beaters, mechanics and spray painters etc, can generally be trusted to be professional and not cowboys.

s class

The car is in paint.  The engine bay side is very good indeed. 

THis is the right chassis leg  - note the (correct, original) textured finish on the vertical surface of the chassis leg :

This is the repaired left chassis leg, where they have replicated the textured finish.   ;D

Overall view of right of engine bay :

and left (repaired side)

The outside of the inner fender, I'm a bit less excited about.  They have lashed on the underbody sealant rougher than I would have liked - I accept some disguise is necessary to conceal the remaining mild waviness in the panel.  I will consider flatting this down a bit myself.

This sealant is not really the end of the world, since it will be hidden by the plastic wheel arch liners when all is assembled.  Apart from this minor gripe about the sealant, well, I'm completely happy.  The workmanship has been superb. 

TJ 450

That came up extremely well. Regarding the stone guard, if it's covered over with the trim, I don't think it will be noticed.

Is it now a case of assembly and installing the engine and trans?

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

s class

The next tasks are :

a) rebush front suspension
b) flare front fenders as per original AMG drawings (the car had such flared fenders prior to the original accident 4 years ago)
c) exterior paintwork (new bonnet, fenders after flaring, repaired right rear quarter, repaired front bumper)
c) owner must decide if he wants a tranny rebuild. 

Big_Richard

WGB

Beautiful workmanship - thankyou for sharing it with us.

Bill

s class

Thanks guys.  Its good to have it finally done.  I got the car back to my place this morning, now the work of re-assembly can begin.