News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

W201 190E engine rebuild

Started by TJ 450, 17 January 2011, 10:04 AM

TJ 450

A few of you would know that I have a 190E project in the works right now, that is undergoing a complete engine rebuild.

I'll take this chance to provide a progress update.

Thus far, I have acquired a lot of parts, as I'm pretty well replacing everything here. The engine was damaged due to a failed headgasket/corrosion.

Currently, I'm assembling the bottom end with all new bearing shells, small end bushes and pistons. I'm awaiting the thrust washers, so the centre bearing cap has not been seated yet.

Here are some pics;

By tim_w116 at 2011-01-17

/ Tim

1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

s class

Beutiful work TJ.  Really nice. 

But I think this belongs in the 'show your shed' thread - gee, I'd love to assemble engines in the lounge.  My wife said no. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Big_Richard

TJ does most of his engine/transmission rebuilding in his bedroom.

We weren't joking when we said he sleeps with MB parts ;)

Major Tom in Thailand, many beautiful original mercedes vehicles here.

PS, excellent work tj, I look forward to seeing this thing run like new :)

TJ 450

Indeed S Class & MT, the "garage" extends into the house under certain conditions. As MT alludes to, I rebuilt the 6.9's transmission on my computer desk.  8)

My logic is that all assembly work needs to be as clean as possible, and that can only be obtained inside the house here. I take the necessary precautions to ensure that any mess is contained, otherwise my mother may have damning words to say. ;)

The crankshaft was micro polished as well as cleaned, and was still in spec to allow standard bearing shells to be used. Some Plastigage confirmed that, which was a relief.

Don't get too excited MT, it's a few weeks away yet. There's a few loose ends I need to get sorted out, such as incorrect thrust bearings and something else I can't think of now.

I might also take some updated photos of my "workshop facilities" when I get a chance.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Big_Richard

Have the wasps now decided to leave your shed alone after I saturated there nest with fly spray ?? ;)

It was quite amusing attempting to obtain tools from it and running away 14 times when aerial attack was underway.

13B

In the process of doing a similar rebuild on my turbo 190E project car, I took the opportunity to toss the 2.0 block and replace it was a 2.3 block from a W123, mated to a larger turbo should get me up over the 200rwhp mark on conservative 8PSI boost using modified KE-Jet injection.

Just a question, is your 190E a manual?  I've had a chance to drive both (mines a manual) and the auto with 2.0 engine is a fairly unexciting typical 80s econo-car to drive, but the manual is a real lively fun car to drive... it really transforms the car.  Since you're going to all this trouble to rebuild the motor it might be best appreciated behind a manual box...

I.
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

oscar

Awsome work Tj.  Re clenaing, micropolishing, did you send the block and bits away for this or did you do it yourself?  Any machining done prior to reassembly? 
1973 350SE, my first & fave

WGB

Looking really good.

What assembly lube do you use.

TJ 450

13B,

This is an Auto, so performance will be a bit underwhelming as expected. I'll probably consider a manual conversion as a future project though. Good choice with the 2.3, that's what I considered, but I preferred to keep the original block due to the fact that I would have to take it over the pits for a change of number, and for the sake of originality.

Oscar,

I sent it all offsite for the machining. This included boring, facing, cleaning for the block; A full balance for the moving engine assembly, including pistons; cleaning and micropolishing of the crank.

Bill,

I used a CRC branded assembly lube... I can't remember off the top of my head specifically what it was, but it appeared to be ideal for the task. The manual calls for "Initial Start Engine Oil", but a bit of research shows that assembly lube is the way to go.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

13B

Actually typical of MB cars of the 80s, even the 4cyl 190E auto takes off in 2nd gear and has a 4 speed auto.  As with other MBs if you give the accelerator a good jab on take off it goes into first and then has quite respectable pickup, all things being equal, to other 4 cyl 2.0 litre auto cars from other manufacturers.

I.
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

TJ 450

Indeed, although I seem to recall it being set up for comfortable cruising without reving its t!ts off. The Volvo 4-cylinders were also like this, with plenty of torque.

This is in contract to two other '80s 4-cylinder vehicles I've experienced, being a SAAB 900i and a Peugeot 505 wagon... the latter being absolutely gutless.

However, I'm currently driving a recent Mitsubishi Colt with CVT and I find the transmission lag infuriating... I can't wait to drive a car with a conventional auto trans.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Tony66_au

The M102 2.3 is a fairly capable engine, My 230 TE (Euro only BTW) is a 400'000 k plus engine and still hauls the wagon around nicely despite the 2nd gear auto box takeoff although when i nail it (As I live on a 100 kph highway) to get out of my driveway it does kick down to 1st at which stage she squats and takes off albeit roughly.

I also owned a Volvo 240 wagon with a B23 2.3 4 cylinder with a manual gearbox and it wasnt bad but still nowhere near as grunty as the M102 in the Benz.

More recently though ive been toying with the idea of a low blow supercharger for the 2.3 but as ive yet to figure out the fuelling arrangements its just a thought at this stage.

Hmmmm 230TE Kompressor.....

TJ 450

Here's the latest for this one.

I now have the engine almost ready for installation. I just need to bolt on the transmission and clean the exterior of the engine's sump. I though it's been long enough and I didn't want to wait around for a slight cosmetic improvement, when the engine really needs to go back in ASAP.

There's lots of small things to do once it's in the bay though, including peening the timing chain link... these chains don't have the circlips like the V8 ones, and require a special tool. I also need to tighten the crankshaft bolt at the damper to 300Nm as required, which will need a ring gear lock.

The rocker cover needs to be sandblasted and painted, as the original powder coated finish is looking off, and there is thick varnish on the inside due to previous infrequent oil changes.

The fully reconditioned head has been bolted on, and the new stretch bolts tightened to 55Nm. Next step is two stages of 90 degree angle tightening as is characteristic of stretch bolts. If there is no angle tightening required, then you know they're not stretch bolts. ;)

Conrod bolts and main bearing cap bolts are new and have one stage of 90 degree angle torquing after the initial tightening with the torque wrench.

I wiped assembly lube over the bores and turned the crankshaft a few revs to ensure free movement, and checked the deck height of the pistons for peace of mind. They are at the higher end of spec due to the fact that the block was faced twice, because the first people didn't know what they were doing and machined it too coarsely... higher CR though, I guess. They shouldn't punch the head! :o

All the bottom end parts, including the head gaskets (except the OEM Mahle pistons, and Elring block gasket set), are genuine Mercedes parts through World Impex (recommended by MT). Next time I get parts for the 6.9, it will probably be through these guys.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Hemersam

Man, that is clean enought to fry my breakfast eggs on.  Looks great!
Hemersam
P.S. If you want to experience something "underwhelming," try my '85 190D 2.0 automatic. That being said, I still love it (32-35 mpg 'round town).

s class

TJ, it all sounds good, but I can't see the pictures - it says "domain unregistered".  what must I do to see the pics?

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL