News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

W140 300SD

Started by Casey, 03 October 2011, 09:49 PM

powerglide

Yes, Curbill. I was just thinking that if my S420 had more power (a la the 6.9) it would be about the best thing on four wheels.  And I suppose that's what the S600 is all about ...  Maybe my next car won't be a W220 after all, if I could find an S600 good enough. Probably needs to be an S600L.
Powerglide

curbill

When I first got the S420 I took it out on the interstate to see what it would do. It shut down at 125 twice. I brought it into a dealer and explained it was shutting down at 125. The SOB sold me a 2,000.00 package to correct the problem. When I took it out again I had the same problem. Thats when the service rep told me oh that car has a shut down device and there is nothing to fix. So much for our dealers.

jbrasile

curbill,

S600's are not exactly trouble free cars... Mercedes V12's from that era have a lot of electrical issues including harnesses that go bad, defective throttle bodies and air mass sensors, overheating issues, etc... the best compromise for the 140 is the 500, around 320hp and a lot of low end torque.

With regards to the 420 cutting off at 125 I think it has to do with the tires fitted to US models. I believe all euro cars were limited to 150mph but the limiter can be removed. If I am not mistaken it is done through Star Diagnostics,  do a little search on the net and you should be able to find it.

Tks,

Joe

powerglide

cb, yes, I read that the W140 has a speed limiter, and your description "shut down" describes how it feels when a car fitted with such a device behaves.  Apparently it is removable, but I don't know how it's done - jb seems to be on top of this issue. jb also makes a nice point about the bigger V8 being more practical than the 600.  I'm really chuffed about the S420 as a daily chariot - reasonable economy (much better than my W116!), as much power on tap as you need (as opposed to like), and that buttery smooothness and convent silence: wow!  Gobs of space inside, and enough luggage space for all Imelda Marcos' shoes.  The Bose head unit is OK except for poor fringe am/fm reception, but the 10 - or is it 11 - speakers really deliver, and I'm lucky enough to have the 10-CD stacker unit in the boot as well.  The ride/handling trade off is better than most cars I have ever driven, and the whole outfit weighs 2 tons, for heaven's sake!

But I still have that feeling of a stirring in my tummy when I think of the S600.  Surely this has to be the M100 replacement?  And now so cheap (to buy, that is).
Powerglide

Big_Richard

there's a 1992 600 for sale in perth at the moment for 10k private sale.

the temptation to slap the cash down on the table and drive off in it in a cloud of tire smoke just isn't there though for me ;)

horror stories of engine oil leaks, electrical issues and biodegradable engine wiring harnesses have officially scared me off this model. That's not to say someone couldn't just buy it and enjoy it trouble free, but who knows... I dont have room for it anyway  ::)

curbill

My wife used the S420 as a daily driver for three years. She did not like the car as it was " too big" Hell she did not like the twin turbo Mitsu as it was red. The S420 is still the smoothest riding car that I have ever driven. I worked for Consumer Union in the auto test division and I am including maybe 100 different cars that I have driven. We have the car sitting up on our waterfront property in No Fl. I am spoiled with  my 300 series cars as they are all diesel. With a pacemaker/Icd installed I was told that I could not play with internal combustion engines as they could give a false reading and shock me. Diesels were ok so I parked the 420 and picked up a 300cd and got involved in veggie oil. None of the 300's ride like the 420/ I would love to find a S350 but they are very rare and very expensive in the USA.

Casey

Quote from: curbill on 16 November 2011, 04:59 PM
My wife used the S420 as a daily driver for three years. She did not like the car as it was " too big" Hell she did not like the twin turbo Mitsu as it was red. The S420 is still the smoothest riding car that I have ever driven. I worked for Consumer Union in the auto test division and I am including maybe 100 different cars that I have driven. We have the car sitting up on our waterfront property in No Fl. I am spoiled with  my 300 series cars as they are all diesel. With a pacemaker/Icd installed I was told that I could not play with internal combustion engines as they could give a false reading and shock me. Diesels were ok so I parked the 420 and picked up a 300cd and got involved in veggie oil. None of the 300's ride like the 420/ I would love to find a S350 but they are very rare and very expensive in the USA.

I've heard lots of horror stories about those 3.5L engines.  W126 350SDL's are not hard to find.  Are all your 300's E-class or do you have S-class as well?  The W116 300SD is a great ride IMHO, when in good shape anyways. :)  I've never driven a W126 (mainly because US-style W126 headlights are absolutely horrific!) but definitely prefer the W116, W115, and W123 over the W124, so I doubt I would like it much.

curbill

All my diesels are of the 617 gendre. I have burnt wvo in 3 of them. The 300td was sold with 435,000 miles on it to make room for the 1980 300sd that we purchased last year. I only drive it once or twice a week. My wife drives the 84 300sd back and forth to work and we use it to go up to NO FL. It has 240,000 on it with the last 75,000 on it with wvo. My 300cd has 279,000 with only 30,000 with wvo. I had the oppurtunity to buy a 94 350sd but my wife did not like the color and according to her it was tooooo big. I have been married 44 years so I have to pick the battles carefully. The 80 300sd only had 113,000 miles on it and I had the cash to pick it up without any crap from the boss.

Casey

Quote from: Raptelan on 16 November 2011, 07:06 PM
I've never driven a W126 (mainly because US-style W126 headlights are absolutely horrific!) but definitely prefer the W116, W115, and W123 over the W124, so I doubt I would like it much.

I feel the same way, but the other day a guy came to buy some leftover W124 diesel oil filters I had for his W126 which had euro headlights, and the difference was night and day - the car looked quite good without those godawful US-spec headlights!  I like US headlights on the W116 but the W126 ones are truly awful!

mirafioriman

The W126 is a great car and a fine successor to the W116. I agree about the US spec headlights though a bit like the W116 US spec bumpers, they ruin a great car in my opinion. I am biased however as I own one ;)
I'm called Dave! I currently own: Mercedes W116 450 SEL 6.9, Mercedes W109 300 SEL 6.3, Mercedes W126 420 SEL, Fiat 130 Berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta and a Citroen Xantia.