News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

W126 AMG with 4 wheel SLS

Started by MB_Mike, 22 June 2010, 08:50 PM

SELfor50

Very bloody nice.  Looks like you got a great find there mate.

Worth resto for sure.

Re the camshafts, speak to blueridge.  Being a 126 M117 they do re-grinds of performance cams (or original) for good $'s.  Much easier to get performance stuff for 126 and onwards than 116.  There's every chance they'd have the AMG grind specs or similar if there was a difference.

You might even be in luck that those cams can be touched up and saved.  Looking at them though they look like they were unter die wasser fur ein lange zeit.  ;D

Great body kit also..

Look forward to seeing more pics and progress on this ol' girl.

Cam.

MB_Mike

Again, thanks for all the encouragement. Could prove to be a rather costly endeavor. The cam that I pictured certainly looked far worse than the other. I don't know much about the accident but a vin check doesn't show anything about it being written off.

I don't know how the oiler tubes should look. Aside from the corrosion on the lobe, under the covers looked like I would expect (I am very far from an expert).

I emptied a can of Sea Foam into the drivers side bank (would that be the left side or right side if its a LHD car?) and will do the same for the other side tonight. I will check the oilers again and look for some stampings on the shaft (not holding my breath for AMG).

Someone mentioned to me that I should use ATF before attempting to hand turn the engine. Does this mean to fill the engine with ATF as I would with oil?

1987 Home market 560 SEL

TJ 450

It's not recommended to fill the sump with ATF rather than Engine Oil, but you can add a quart or so of ATF to supplement the engine oil. You could squirt some ATF in the cylinders through the spark plug holes though.

So long as there isn't any dirt/grit around the camshaft area, you should just be able to wet each cam lobe with oil and turn the engine by hand straight away. This is best done with the spark plugs removed.

If the engine locks up when you turn it, there is a problem with the valve timing/chain, if not you are OK. Also, you should check the plastic chain guide rails just in case any of them are broken.

With the cam oiler pipe, if it's loose it's bad, if it's firm it's good. Visually they look fine to me.

You should consider draining the fuel tank in case there is water in it.

Other than those points, there's not much to worry about.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

MB_Mike

Thanks Tim.

What do you think about the suggestion of "hotwiring" the SLS to raise the car up? Another member of another board suggested this and it would certainly be helpful to get under the car and drain out the fluids before proceeding much more.
1987 Home market 560 SEL

s class

The suspension will only lift with the suspension pump running.  Normally this is engine driven.  To drive the pump off an electric drill for instance, you will have to detatch it from the cylinder head.  Once that is done, you will probably find the pump won't seal again properly, or will loose its prime, or both. 

If your goal is only to get more clearance under the car, lift the front and rear end (one end at a time) with a low trolley jack and wedge some timber between the control arms and the chassis. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

WGB

That sure looks like a lot of work but the AMG bodywork looks pretty slick.

Does the car have any of the AMG code numbers on the build plate (116's have 991 to signify AMG fitted original equipment) - there is also a number of code numbers in the 700's for the later models.

If it does not and the options were added later why not make life easier for yourself and transfer over the interesting bits onto a fully functioning car.

Bill

KenM

That pitting's feral, but it's surely not caused by inundation, check Mike's 3rd last pic, that cam looks very good and the second last shows half the cam is much better, you'd think water would cause uniform rusting. Perhaps an oiler has failed and the lobes overheated? Would that cause the steel to change it's structure, even melt in spots? The rusting itself is obviously from moisture but that's really surface only.
Pity, cause it is certainly a cool car.

Ken

MB_Mike

Bill, there aren't any option codes to suggest AMG originality. I just may transfer the bits or part the car. I promised the po that I would attempt at least to get the car going. I'd like to stay true to my word. I was disappointed to not see any AMG markings on the camshaft. I could still be wrong but I don't believe this engine was tuned by them. Another good reason to move on I suppose.
1987 Home market 560 SEL

TJ 450

But, it has hydropneumatic suspension... that's cool in itself. 8)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

MB_Mike

OK. So I dropped the oil pan to find quite the milkshake. Oil was as thin as water and very emulsified. I noticed the top and bottoms of the hydro struts had slightly torn boots and seemed wet. I wonder if the engine is blown along with the suspension...Stay tuned.
1987 Home market 560 SEL

TJ 450

A bit of wetness on the struts seems like a standard feature of a well used car, but the oil doesn't sound very good at all. Indeed I'll stay tuned.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500