News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

W123 workshop manual info?

Started by s class, 08 June 2010, 04:31 PM

s class

I'm looking for workshop procedures for the W123 along the lines of the 116 stuff in the library here.

Specifically, I'm looking for info on front suspension assembly.  Some of the parts are the same as the W116 equivalents, but the lower control arm is quite different, and I need to know the correct orientation of the bushes.  I'm wary of relying on the way the original ones were installed. 

Thanks. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

WGB

What year are you after S-class?

The WIS goes back to 1980 and should encompass 123's - I'll have a sticky when I get a chance later today.

Haynes also makes a reasonable 123 manual as far as I know and Chilton manuals normally have the bushing diagrams.

Tell me exactly what you want and I will see if I get time later today to copy it and send it to you.

Bill

oscar

Unfortunately the Haynes manual doesn't have any diagrams for the lower control arm and it's bushings, just a short paragraph with the usual "undo this and that" and "refitting is the reversal of removal".  It's a shame because there's some good info elsewhere including hub cross section and upper arm bushes cross sections.  The only bit of descriptive text relative to orientation of parts that may help is in reference to the inner mounting rubbers which says - "Clean the bore, then dip the new rubbers in soapy water and press them into the control arm with a vice, making sure that the outer lugs are in the vertical plane."  Assuming that last bit is important.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

WGB

I'm at work this morning but will look later on today and see what I've got as I have a number of different publications as well as a recent Copy of WIS.

Bill

s class

Thanks guys.  All I really need is to know the orientation of the in-board mounting bushes in the front lower control arms.  I imagine it is the same for all W123's across the entire production lifetime. 

Thanks

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

WGB

I cannot find a picture of the 123 lower control arm or it's bushes but I do have the 116, 124, 126 and 201.

I have searched Haynes, 2 x Chilton's and the WIS.

I assume you are talking about the orientation of the rubbers and in particular the front inner one - which on every other model is the larger one.

The Haynes manual "Mercedes Benz 250&280 1976 to 1984" gives a picture of every part of the 123 suspension except the lower control arm inner rubbers but it does say in the text on page 207 - 10 Lower Control Arm - removal and fitting Paragraph 11 - " To renew the inner mounting runners, first prise out the old ones using a drill and hacksaw, if necessary , to cut the rubbers free. Clean the bore, then dip the new rubbers in soapy water and press them into the control arm with a vice, making sure that the outer lugs are in the vertical plane"

All the other models I have listed above have some form of weakness in the rubber in the front joint in the vertical plane but are solid in the horizontal plane so that side thrust while cornering is met with more resistance than vertical thrust from bump thump.

The rear bearing on the other hand in a 116 has it's split in the horizontal plane.

Here are all the bits for a 116 lower arm repair (The yoke bush is also included in this photo)

Here is my understanding of the correct orientation as they would sit in a horizontal lower arm - the front lower arm bush in a 116 also has a small void in the rubber immediately below the metal shaft and the small titties should point to the front

Don't know if any of this helps.

Bill

s class

Bill the lower control arm inboard bush on the W123 is similar to the one labelled "Front (main) lower arm bush".  I'm aware that for that 116 item, the kidney cutout faces downwards.  The W123 item does have a cutout, and I suspect it must also go downwards for similar reasons. 

WGB

And the three little titties on each side have significance as well.

I think that is the side the bush should be pressed in with and from the front side - this is memory only but the instructions are specified in the 116 manual.

Bill

kru0042

Sir,

I have a couple of W123 diesels, and there is an excellent site for these cars in english from the Czech Republic.  The address is

www.sonypolicka.webgarden.cz

the complete MB manual is here. Happy Hunting.

Super Einspritz Lang