News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

W116/mercedes fanatics pilgrimage

Started by s class, 23 January 2007, 01:39 AM

s class

Gentlemen,

I see recently a lot of interest amongst the Australian contingent in "drive days".  I think it is fabulous, and I'm envious at not being able to participate.  These drive days sound great as they take up only one day and presumably don't cost the participants too much. 

However, Big Richard's comments about dreaming of a tour of the Mercedes factory rings true to my dreams too.  I was once privileged to visit the Mercedes Museum in Stutgart and among other treats, witnessed the reproduction original benz 3 wheeler (1895) in operation. 

My dream would be a two week Mercedes Pilgrimage.  It would have to include a visit to the classic centre, tour of the factory and a good stint at Salzberg classic days.  Obviously this is a much higher cost undertaking than your drive days, but I wondered if anyone else had similar yearnings?

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Des

Hi Ryan
Yes I am planning to do a similar trip sometime this year,
I want to visit the classic center and the Mercedes museum at Stuttgart

also I heard Behrmann Mercedes in Hamburg has the AMG 300SEL 6.8 (my avatar) which interests me also.

I have no real commitments (wife, kids) etc so its just a matter of saving up some money i.e. not spending anything on my 6.9 for a few months.

I would also like to learn some German as well before I go, even though I've been told most Germans speak English I think it would be rude to go to their country and not speak even a little German, just like the people who immigrate here and can't speak our language.

WGB

I tried to get to Sindelfingen last year but we deferred the trip to Europe due to health problems with my wife.

I will be in Europe this year - my wife knows that I dearly want to go to Sindelfingen so we might get to the new Museum they have just opened.

I hear that the new Brooklands Centre in Surrey is open now - so expect to be there in August.

In 1998 I brought a new 230SLK from Diesel Motors in Perth - on that day in the showroom sitting next to my new bright red SLK was a 300SL owned by Lindsay Fox and next to that was one of the Benz Replicas that you speak of which were made in 1986 for the centenary of the Benz car. Never saw it running though and never had a camera with me - buggar.

Bill

AMG69

I'm heading over in September as I have a conference in Paris. :D..if anyone else is in Germany around that time let me know as I will definitely be visiting the "usual" MB spots!
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

James R

I went to Mercedes-Benz World at Brooklands on Sunday. Really very worth the trip too. Never seen so many SLRs (old and new), 300SLs, 600 Pullmans, Maybachs as well as every single model of the new range. The great thing about the place is that there's no salesman in a dodgy suit bothering you. You can get in any car (except the classics) and they just leave you to it. We also got out onto the track there as passengers in a new CLK63. What a wagon! Incredibly fast.

I've not yet been to the new museum at Sindelfingen but have been to the old one a couple of times as well as picking up new cars there when they give you a factory tour as part of the handover. They may well do this for people who aren't picking up cars too - you should check before you make the trip. Its very interesting.

Mercedes is pretty adept at brand loyalty.
1978 450SEL 6.9 - GONE!

1979 450SEL - GONE!

Brian Crump

I'm in Madrid and Paris in September.
Will go looking for the elusive Denis....
AMG69 - which conference?
I thoroughly recommend a visit to Arts et Metiers museum (Paris) for any mechanically minded person. I could move in and live there...
Regards,
BC

AMG69

nothing to get excited about I'm afraid - I'm a Partner with Pitcher Partners and we represent Baker Tilly International in Australia (BTI are one of the largest accounting groups in the world); the BTI International Conference is in Paris this year - leading to a riot amongst the partners as to who should go  ::)   
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

bahnstormer109

Im starting my own benz museum in the street outside my house...

entrys free!
Paolo,
Brisbane, Australia.

72 300SEL 3.5
84 280CE
86 560SEL
86 230TE

nathan

shazam!
left australia yesterdaz and now in croatia (keys in different spots).  will be in stuttgart in about 3 weeks with classic centre visit arranged and new museum...as i may have noted elsewhere, even sneaking in a visit to Gwagen factorz in austria!  it would be nice to see how crzy the nurburgring is, but not this time unfortunatelz!
anyhow, regards from 3 degrees celcius
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

gregdeklerk

Quote from: s class on 23 January 2007, 01:39 AM
Gentlemen,

I see recently a lot of interest amongst the Australian contingent in "drive days".  I think it is fabulous, and I'm envious at not being able to participate.  These drive days sound great as they take up only one day and presumably don't cost the participants too much. 

However, Big Richard's comments about dreaming of a tour of the Mercedes factory rings true to my dreams too.  I was once privileged to visit the Mercedes Museum in Stutgart and among other treats, witnessed the reproduction original benz 3 wheeler (1895) in operation. 

My dream would be a two week Mercedes Pilgrimage.  It would have to include a visit to the classic centre, tour of the factory and a good stint at Salzberg classic days.  Obviously this is a much higher cost undertaking than your drive days, but I wondered if anyone else had similar yearnings?

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Styria says you are in Johannesburg? A bunch of guys from the Mercedes Club in SA made the pilgrimage in October last year. I was not able to go, but I think there is talk a foot of going again this year. I will let you know details, if it happens.

Greg

s class

Greg,

Yes, I'm in Edenvale near JHB.  I joined the MB club 6 months ago but I have not yet attended any of their outings due to work pressures (I'm a senior engineer with Our Great National Power Utility - south African's will appriate the implications of that). 

A pligrimage would be great, but just very expensive for us saffers. 

I see you have a W201 - unusual in South Africa.

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL