News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

W116 apprearance in the Mercedes Enthusiast Magazine

Started by samuli, 04 April 2011, 03:53 AM

samuli

Hello all,

I have made a remark that during the recent years, say 2008-2011, W116 has made a significant appearance in the British Mercedes Enthusiast Magazine: http://www.mercedesenthusiast.co.uk/ (check the back issues). I have most of the issues and they are indeed entertaining to read, although they seem to repeat a bit the same stuff in each of the articles, except in one where there was a comparison of four different S-Class generations: w108, W116, W126 and W140.

Other models they seem to like to write about are W126 SEC, W124 CE,  W107 and the good old W123. I do understand them ;D...

Cheers,
Samuli

WGB

The recent one that arrived in teh post last week has quite a good writeup on a low mileage 450SEL with 20,000 miles.

Bill

adamb

There is only so much that you can write about within the scope of one model. All the same, I think they do a decent job and produce a readable rag. I used to subscribe and still have the first 12 editions or so in my garage. I still enjoy reading about 116s and 6.9s even though I've not read anything I didn't know about these cars for years.

samuli

By the way, in some of the articles they praise that W116's handling would not be much different from W107's. I haven't driven a W107 yet, but does anyone have that experience or is it just positive thinking?

adamb

Not sure they can be compared as that large sunroof is in no way the same to having the top down fully. I drove a 1981 500SL for a little while and it was fun to cruise in, I found it a little scary to drive fast on the twisties. There is definitely less body rigidity and I felt it. Overall, the SLC is probably the best compromise... unless you want to pose.
::)

samuli

Ok, I can understand that the convertible/pillarless coupe feeling is not possible in a W116. I guess the general public opinion is that the W107 is more beautiful too. Perhaps they mean that the pure road handling aspect is not so different. However, I could imagine that a 5.0SLC gives slightly sportier ride compared to regular W116, except perhaps 6.9 ;).

TJ 450

The 116 has the benefit of being more modern than the 107... the 107 being based on the 114/115 chassis. There is a huge difference in the chassis design.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500