News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

W108.ORG

Started by mswcpt, 03 February 2011, 03:33 AM

mswcpt

Has anyone noticed that by comparison, the "sister" site of W116.org - www.w108.org is really quite anemic... There doesn't seem to be the enthusiasm or interest in the W116's predecessor online which I find odd, as personally I want to start collecting one or two of these eventually  - they are magnificent cars indeed!

Is there a better site out there that anyone knows of?

Regards,

Big_Richard

never even heard of it prior to today  8)

WGB

The beauty of this site is that there have always been a group of enthusiastic amateurs without an axe to grind who are quite happy to provide advice on an almost hourly basis.

I know of no other site that functions as well.

Maybe it is because the model of car inspires us to try harder as there is no vast monetary value or prestige in these cars and subsequently the ego's of the forum members do not get in the way of either reality or ability and remain enthusiastic when helping others.

There is also a long term core group of members who have kept it together over several years.

Bill

oscar

I could be wrong but I think w108.org was alabassi's brainchild. 
W108/9s look grand, I'd love to own one too before I die. I haven't checked the site for ages but as a guess there's probably some other daughter boards of bigger forums like benzworld for example where owners congregate to share info. 
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Hemersam

That green one on 108.org is a beauty; they look so stately. Unfortunately , you almost never see one of these classics for sale in the Dallas, Texas, area. In fact, I've seen only two driving around in the last two or three years.
Hemersam

thysonsacclaim

The W116 is quite unique I'd say. I've been and am a member of other forums and blogs and they aren't as 'cool' and even keeled as this one. I had seen the 108 site before. Sometimes I randomly browse Mercedes sites / Merc-related Wikipedia stuff. Consider myself a novice enthusiast, so I like to learn as much as possible about the cars as I can.

Several 116 members have overlapping, yet also diverse non-116 interests (photography, Linux, several others). Is it possible the members also share a laid back, helpful commitment to our cars? I like to think so.

I think the org is the closest Mercedes 'Utopia.' I like some of the other Merc forums, too, which I mostly just lurk on in all honesty, but some are just too hype-ie, dramatic, etc. I agree with what Bill said; In that none of us have a vendetta.

In the end, it's just a forum meant to help people out and for you guys to share your experience and expertise.

I think the 116 is a diamond in the rough. You guys are all very helpful and dedicated and not overly judgemental of newbies like myself. Goes a long way in building a good community of like-minded people regardless of any differences.

calvin streeting

Quote from: thysonsacclaim on 03 February 2011, 11:29 AM
I think the 116 is a diamond in the rough. You guys are all very helpful and dedicated and not overly judgemental of newbies like myself. Goes a long way in building a good community of like-minded people regardless of any differences.

I agree :) even form the outset everyone has been realy helpfull, which makes you want to be helpfull to...

Tony66_au

Agreed, 116.org is both informative and intimate at the same time.
A difficult balancing act but well done here

craigb

I have been an Ozbenz regular and moderator from the start and in particular try to field anything 108 and share my experience with the model, and even though as a rule I spend less time on here (only so many hours in a day and I only have one 116) there is an unequalled friendliness and helpfulness on here. I should be sleeping but you guys seem to be able to talk about politics and guns and god knows what else in a sensible and understanding manner  - very strange but so commendable!

But even though i am a 108 tragic (6 is tragic isn't it!) i didn't know about it and will check it out. Meanwhile happy to answer anything I spot on here and always welcome over on Ozbenz. I think the finnie is finally having its day but i think the 108 is greatly underated. Too tired to explain now but great cars, even if I admit not as great as the 116 particularly if regular use or highway cruising. Particularly on the highway at high speed myself and others remark, I can't believe this car feels like this and is this old. There is the odd trap with a 108 but rust is the key to it all.
1980 280s

mswcpt

I must agree with everyone - W116.org is a much better online community than most forums. Keep it up guys!  ;D

PS: craigb - thanks for the heads-up on stuff to do with the W108 - will ask if I need anything - just waiting fro some money to accumulate and once I have gotten my W116 280S into PERFECT condition this year, then I will start looking at a W108 project.

Gerard

Quote from: mswcpt on 16 February 2011, 10:53 AM
I must agree with everyone - W116.org is a much better online community than most forums. Keep it up guys!  ;D

PS: craigb - thanks for the heads-up on stuff to do with the W108 - will ask if I need anything - just waiting fro some money to accumulate and once I have gotten my W116 280S into PERFECT condition this year, then I will start looking at a W108 project.

I agree, I'm delighted to be a part of this online community.  Its just relaxed, and I find all the experienced guys give the benefit of their experience unhindered, and without cheek or smartness.

G

alabbasi

Quote from: mswcpt on 03 February 2011, 03:33 AM
Has anyone noticed that by comparison, the "sister" site of W116.org - www.w108.org is really quite anemic... There doesn't seem to be the enthusiasm or interest in the W116's predecessor online which I find odd, as personally I want to start collecting one or two of these eventually  - they are magnificent cars indeed!

Is there a better site out there that anyone knows of?

Regards,

I hear that the guy who runs it is a handsome devil :)
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

oscar

Quote from: alabbasi on 07 March 2011, 05:03 PM
I hear that the guy who runs it is a handsome devil :)

LOL, We'll just have to take your word for it.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

alabbasi

Just a quick updated on the W108.org site. I shut the forum down about 3 years ago because it became a full time job to keep spammers off and there was only me running it.

I moderate a Mercedes W108 group that I created which does a better job of keeping spam out so I have kept that one active and reference it on the site.

I also moderate the M-100 group which until recently was also a full time job to keep spammers out, luckily we found a pretty sophisticated anti spam util that has kept them out.

I'll probably kick things back off on that forum later in the year and rebuild the site once I get more time. But for now, please be patient with me :)
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.