News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

Totally unrelated to 116's

Started by WGB, 06 April 2007, 08:46 AM

WGB

My 22 year old 6'x4' trailer was looking a bit too sad for it's yearly outing to the tip/move furniture/move rubbish etc so I decided to shout it a new set of taillights.

As the usual bulb type only last a couple of years before oxidising into oblivion I purchased a new pair of LED combination lights.

Wired up, soldered and sealed all joins, connected a new plug - checked for shorts and then plugged it into "She who must be obeyed"s ML 270 and voila - nothing.

Fuse F18 was blown in the ML which is the feed for the trailer harness (may have been blown by previous state of lights on last use about 9 months ago) - replaced and voila whatever circuit is used first functions but nothing else, no fuse blows and that circuit eg indicator doesn't work when returning to it.

The circuits seem to check out fine so I am suspicious that the LED's are not compatible with the ML's trailer harness supply system
and will get a pair of the previous shoddy cheapies.

Does anyone know anything about these LED lights that would shed any light ;D on the problem before another few hours are wasted?

Bill

WGB

I will probably try putting 12 volts through them to see that they all work but I have seen the indicators flashing.

I wasn't aware of the polarity issue with LED's but I guess they are Diodes after all - thanks Patrick

I wired them up precisely as to the instructions.

I think the problem is going to be related to their interplay to whatever black box they are connected to in the ML as the ML continues happily working totally oblivious to the trailer connection.

Bill