topgear

Started by Des, 08 October 2007, 02:06 AM

Des

Clarkson and the gang are back!

http://www.mininova.org/tor/928584

Patiently waiting for my copy to download, at 58% at the moment

;D  :)

13B

Have they ever commented on the 6.9?  Do they like them?
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

Des

I have every single episode of the current format of topgear and many of the shows from the 80's and early 90's and no, never heard a peep about 6.9's

however once they were comparing the then, new CLK about 2004, and Clarkson commented he loved the car but didn't feel the quality was there compared to the good old days, with a few seconds of a 600 and a Pagoda in the background.

Clarkson also once drove a 280SL W113 Pagoda and loved it, said you could drive one every day.

So I think he appreciates "the old mercs"

Also did a very favorable review in 1991 of the then, brand new W140 600 SEL

From memory he has made several rubbishing remarks about the quality of newer Mercedes,

In the old series shows back in the 90's one of the presenters, who's name escapes me, gave also a very favorable review of the 600....Quinton something is his name

SELfor50

Nice one Des - will start download, straight after download of new episode of "Curb Your Enthusiasm".

If they've never really done an episode on the 6.9, maybe we should send them an e-mail from W116.org with a challenge?!  You know how they did that Super car for 10,000 pounds or something and did the challenge where nearly all of them died??
Maybe we need to throw something like that too them and suggest a 116 (obviously a 6.9) VS a Kingswood (70's) VS Another 70's V8 (highway cruiser) for bout 10K australian...... You know like a trek from Melbs to Sydney or something taking some of the backroads as well...
Chuck in a stage like they did with an oil change etc..

Only problem is, they'd probably expose how good a car they are for the cost in Australia.  Which would coincidentally push the prices of them up... not so bad for current owners?  ::)

CraigS

What is this program ?

Quote from: SELfor50 on 08 October 2007, 06:40 AM
"Curb Your Enthusiasm".

I'll vote for this one !
Only problem is, they'd probably expose how good a car they are for the cost in Australia.  Which would coincidentally push the prices of them up... not so bad for current owners?  ::)
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

SELfor50

Quick hijack of thread...

Curb Your Enthusiasm is a show written by Larry David.
Larry David is the dude who created / wrote Seinfeld...
George Castanza in Seinfeld is based on Larry David (in real life).

Hard to explain but Curb is similar to Seinfeld in that it's about little things in life and expands on them...but.....it's way fukn funnier.
Do a quick search on "Curb Your Enthusiasm S06E01, torrent" and try downloading that.  It's well worth it.  You'll be hooked!  Season 6 Episode 5 only aired last night in the states, almost finished downloading now.

Ok... back to Top Gear!  :)

500eguy

the new episode is awesome! :)

oscar

Quote from: SELfor50 on 08 October 2007, 06:40 AM

Yeah,....shhhhh!

As much as that pagoda being driven by Clarkson was great to watch and as much as I'd like to see Clarkson and co become seduced by the 6.9, we don't need that much publicity yet.  Not until I get me one. 8)
1973 350SE, my first & fave

nathan

who is downloading shows, you are bad people...nuaghty naughty... ;)

one of the best top gear merc ones was when froddo tested the G55 and labelled it the coolest car on the planet!  now he was onto something...another good non merc one wwas when he drove the lambo LM002...he lined that thing up and made half a street back up for him

Des, didnt they do one on JK from jamiroqaui and feature his 600 m100 (and his G!)
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

huck280

I live in the land of Clarkson, and that programme's a bit of a chore most of the time! They rarely do classics, cos they're always trying to separate themselves from what they see to be car geeks. The only time they've really done anything respectable on car history was when the legendary Rover aluminium V block went out of production about 3 years ago (almost unchanged from 1966). Apart from taht, the only time they buy old cars is to wreck'em.

It's a shame, cos Clarkson can be genuinely funny. But frankly, people telling me how fantastic the Veyron is, or whether AMG or M5 offer the better upgrades, or that the Ford GT isn't a practical road car, I can live with out. I don't need a reviewer to tell me a racing version of the Gallardo is fast. You don't need to be a car expert to do that I think... CLarkson also slightly lost credibility when he spent about three years complaining that London didn't need traffic management, and that the major problem was the phasing for pedestrians was too long on street crossings... ahem.

It's like cars for people who prefer numbers to... well, cars! Cars are for driving - they're real. Mostly, that show deals with things that will only be museum pieces for the super-rich to have in their collections. :-(

Bring back Men and Motors. The tits didn't interest, but the proper car and plane programming was excellent... so if any of you have top tips on any good motor programmes about, I'd be glad to hear them!

Des

Another Clarskon special this week, he crosses the English Channel in a Hilux pickup with an outboard motor

http://www.mininova.org/tor/941771

adamb

Quote from: huck280 on 08 October 2007, 05:22 PM
I live in the land of Clarkson, and that programme's a bit of a chore most of the time! They rarely do classics, cos they're always trying to separate themselves from what they see to be car geeks. The only time they've really done anything respectable on car history was when the legendary Rover aluminium V block went out of production about 3 years ago (almost unchanged from 1966). Apart from taht, the only time they buy old cars is to wreck'em.

It's a shame, cos Clarkson can be genuinely funny. But frankly, people telling me how fantastic the Veyron is, or whether AMG or M5 offer the better upgrades, or that the Ford GT isn't a practical road car, I can live with out. I don't need a reviewer to tell me a racing version of the Gallardo is fast. You don't need to be a car expert to do that I think... CLarkson also slightly lost credibility when he spent about three years complaining that London didn't need traffic management, and that the major problem was the phasing for pedestrians was too long on street crossings... ahem.

It's like cars for people who prefer numbers to... well, cars! Cars are for driving - they're real. Mostly, that show deals with things that will only be museum pieces for the super-rich to have in their collections. :-(

Bring back Men and Motors. The tits didn't interest, but the proper car and plane programming was excellent... so if any of you have top tips on any good motor programmes about, I'd be glad to hear them!

Here here Huck. But in defense of Clarkson and Co I loved the one they did about the Mitsubishi 4x4 from 1986. If you recall they tried to do everything to destroy it including drowning it in the sea but after having a new battery fitted the AA man started it without too much effort. Japanese 4x4 reliability is legendary. People in the 3rd world know that well.

Otherwise that show is just a wish list of things we'll not own for about 20 years not because we can't necessarily but because it's just too shiny and doesn't require tinkering. For intstance I have absolutely no interest in Bentley coupes but 20 years from now they just might become more interesting. Am I strange?

Anyway, W116 is still king.

OzBenzHead

Quote from: adamb on 16 October 2007, 05:13 PM[...] Am I strange? [...]

Possibly no stranger than many (most?) of us here!   ::)  ;D
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

Des

Lets no confuse Topgear with actual automotive journalism, TopGear, FifthGear its all automotive entertainment,

If you want journalism, tune into Michel Clarkson Saturday mornings, sensible reporting, down to earth info, stories and interviews.

huck280

Is that an Ozzie programme, Des? What's it called? Know anywher we can download it from?

PS The Mitsubishi thing was fantastic. They threw it off a bridge, then left it for the tide to wash over, then dropped a wrecking ball on it. Bit of WD40 and bob's your uncle!

If you ever look in the back ground to a Bagdad news story, you'll always see W123s, Peugeots, HiAces and Mitsubishi pick ups. Legends all roung!