News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

This 300D was going to be Crushed.....

Started by 500eguy, 14 November 2007, 09:44 PM

500eguy

Until i Bought it, i posted it in the rusty relics thread, but here she is before and after i spent a day cleaning years of neglect. He runs and drives great, and will help me ease the cost of running my V-8s.... i guess i found a new daily driver in a forgotten car. :) kinda reminds me of that Merc Commercial where they send off that Merc to the crusher and it has a flashback!

before:

After:

The original Color is called China Blue and it was bought in California brand new. I think i may get him resprayed

116Benz

Good onya Johhny B, I looked the before shot and thought, he's got a bit more life left in him. I'm glad you saved him.

500eguy

Thanks guys:) i really appreciate the title!;) i really like it! it runs so well, it needs a few things interior bits.

oscar

I can't believe the hood came up that well.  Fair enough the other panels need respraying but did you notice the paint color coming off whilst polishing?  It just looked so chalky in the before shot.  Anywhere the paint was intact it looks great.  Testament to the original paint finish I suppose.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

SELfor50

Fully....

Great work Mate!!  It come up great!  Feels bloody great to rescue an ol' car doesn't it?! ;)

Bet you the car loves you now too!  ;)

Des

Quote from: 500eguy on 15 November 2007, 12:47 AM
Thanks guys:) i really appreciate the title!;) i really like it! it runs so well, it needs a few things interior bits.

Are you planning on going to Africa?

well if you do you know you have the right car for it

W123's are great cars, simple to maintain, parts are reasonably priced, they drive really well, handle well through corners.

500eguy

DES:I wasn't planning on going to Africa but i know i have the right car to use! or a beetle ;) I was contemplating respraying the panels myself just to tidy up the look a bit, I have never painted a car before so i will still think about that.

selfor50: Yes, it feels great! i feel really attached to the car now, i named him Harold ( stop laughing guys)

Oscar: To be honest, yes i was surprised at how well the paint cleaned up... i mean it truly is a testament to Mercedes benz and their cars.

Andrew280SEL

Well done Johnny! :)

You are quite the MB collector, eh? ;)

But the difference is really amazing, you did a top job cleaning it. What a waste it would have been if it got crushed. A very nice catch indeed.

Hope you enjoy it. :)
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

500eguy

Thank you Thank you! I traded the owner a set of old W140 Wheels and $100. :)

Andrew280SEL

Sounds like a fantastic trade deal too. ;)
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'79 450SEL 6.9

500eguy

:) if any of you guys ever get to hawaii, you would seriously be surprised at the deals to be had down here;)

500eguy

This car has been sold, someone offered $1,000 and i took it! now its time to spend some money on my 116:)  I did not want to sell him, but this couple was going to paint him and convert to run on WVO.

Andrew280SEL

Yes, on the plus side you can give the 116 some luuvvin ;D and the 123 goes to a nice home where it gets a paint and all.  :)
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'79 450SEL 6.9

500eguy

I Actually BOUGHT 16x8 AMG Pentas The real Deal :) so i am happy with that, so i guess i will keep my eyes open for another Merc in need of help;)

116Benz

Quote from: 500eguy on 26 November 2007, 06:57 AM
I Actually BOUGHT 16x8 AMG Pentas The real Deal :) so i am happy with that, so i guess i will keep my eyes open for another Merc in need of help;)

It's a fun hobby Johnny B, If I had the room, I'd end up with what that guy in Germany has, a barn full of 116 goodness.