News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

The perils of old tyres

Started by KenM, 29 June 2013, 11:04 PM

jbrasile

P3's are one of the worst tires ever made! A good friend kept  set on a Pagoda during the car's restoration just to be able to move it around and two of the tires blew in his garage for absolutely no reason.

These tires have terrible wear characteristics, poor handling in wet conditions and are incredibly susceptible to curb damage.

I am not surprised to see Ken's P3's separate like that, and I am glad nothing bad happened as a result.

Tks

Joe

KenM

There's no doubt that Carl is right about it being the original Joe, so it's 31 years old. Odd for Pirelli to make such a poor tyre. The rim has the original wheel weights and from the almost perfect state of the lug

bolt holes the rim could only have been used once or twice at most.

jbrasile

My sister's 84 300CD still has its original, never used P3 spare mounted on a completely virgin alloy which still carries its factory balance weight and even the little inspection dot... I hope it  doesn't blow on its own in the trunk, hehehe....

Now seriously, back in the 80's P3's came factory installed on the Chevrolet Opala and Caravan (the Opala wagon)  sold in Brazil, these cars were a mix between an Opel Rekord and Chevy Nova and could be had with the locally famous 250S inline 6 that only produced around 140hp but the cars were so light that performance was pretty decent and you could spin the tires with just a touch of throttle... I had a friend who owned a Caravan and he went through a set of tires every 5000 km until he finally switched to Firestone's, I did get to see the P3's after he had beast for a while and they were simply disintegrating in little chunks, very bizarre...

Tks,

Joe

ptashek

I've just covered about 60 miles with the 15" bundts and Dunlops. I'd say the rims have little impact here. But the tires are awesome, so far. Handling in corners feels refined, requires less effort with the steering wheel. There's far less noise as well. The jury is still out on fuel economy, but there is some improvement visible already.

I had Nankang CX-668 (205/70R14 95H) on the 14s, EU rated at:  Roll resistance: E, Wet grip: B, Noise emissions: 72 dB.
The Dunlop Sport BluResponse (205/65R15 94H, not V as planned) are EU rated at: Roll resistance: B, Wet grip: B, Noise emissions: 68 dB.

The ratings in both cases go from A to G, with A being best. If memory serves a 3dB difference in sound level equals double the difference in perceived volume.
There's a whole page explaining the EU ratings and legalese at http://ec.europa.eu/energy/efficiency/tyres/labelling_en.htm

The selection of 15" tyres compared to 14" ones makes all the difference, at least in our neck of the wood:
15s: http://bit.ly/15e6lcc
14s: http://bit.ly/1dyd6Zp
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

s class

The Nankang CX668's are one of the few 205/70/14's available here, and I actually think they are quite good, so I'm interested to hear more info on how the Dunlops improve things. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

ptashek

Quote from: s class on 15 July 2013, 02:29 PM
The Nankang CX668's are one of the few 205/70/14's available here, and I actually think they are quite good, so I'm interested to hear more info on how the Dunlops improve things.

For what it's worth in science terms, my fuel consumption dropped by 0.8l/100km (up by ~0.6mpg) on the first tank on the Dunlops, with my typical usage pattern these days (60/40, city + motorway/rural roads). Given my current mileage, and the average local price of petrol, and provided that consumption figure remains true, this would translate to an annual saving of around 130EUR. Definitely not a figure that would justify the investment on its own; about 3 years just for the tyres to amortize fully. But then again, in three years there may be no 205/70/14s on the market at all, or the prices will get even crazier than now.

I'm getting the wheels aligned properly on Monday, and that should make a far bigger difference.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE