News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

The new S-Class - for a declining civilization

Started by JasonP, 15 May 2013, 07:55 PM

JasonP

The pothole-buster: New Mercedes can scan the road and adapt its suspension for impact

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2325130/Mercedes-Benz-unveils-firms-new-flagship-S-Class-limousine-adapt-suspension.html

QuoteFor motorists driven to distraction by Britain's increasingly cratered roads, German luxury car giant Mercedes-Benz's tonight unveils a clever antidote.

Its new flagship S-Class limousine can see potholes and bumps in the road and adapt suspension to brace itself ahead of the impending impact in a bid to reduce the potential damage and discomfort.

Mercedes-Benz says it is the first car in the world to have suspension 'with eyes' as part of its revolutionary system called 'road surface scan' using a stereo camera.

At least they are staying relevant.
1979 300SD
Color: 623H "Light Ivory"
1979 300SD
Color: 861H "Silver Green Metallic"
1977 280 E
Color: 606G "Maple Yellow"
-------------------------------------------

jbrasile

Hehehe.... poor new S-Class.... its suspension computer is going to go absolutely nuts trying to predict every pot hole here in Sao Paulo....

Tks

Joe

ZCarFan

A declining civilization is one that would purchase a car that predicts potholes rather than demand the state use the taxes it collects to maintain the road properly.

Just sayin'  ;)

KenM

Quote from: ZCarFan on 15 May 2013, 09:07 PM
A declining civilization is one that would purchase a car that predicts potholes rather than demand the state use the taxes it collects to maintain the road properly.

Just sayin'  ;)

I'll second that

TJ 450

Gee,

It's practically a space craft! I like the LED headlamps with adaptive high beam... That would be very helpful.

We don't have to worry about potholes here so much (in Western Australia, anyway!). However, the technology would be brilliant on unsealed roads, I suspect.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

WGB

It looks absolutely fantastic - just working out the monthly payments on an S500.

Bill

oversize

Personally I think the grille is too big for the car.  Otherwise it's great
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P

JasonP

It looks like every other car on the road. I call it a Toyota. Every car looks like a Toyota.

The W116 is beautiful because no other car looks like it.

I think Mercedes needs to take a stand and put a stop to this stupid Toyota-esque chassis design that every car in the world has at the moment. Every time I see a modern Mercedes, I have to wait to see the grill or the tail to know for sure. Otherwise, it looks like a Toyota.

Seriously.

1979 300SD
Color: 623H "Light Ivory"
1979 300SD
Color: 861H "Silver Green Metallic"
1977 280 E
Color: 606G "Maple Yellow"
-------------------------------------------

W116-M117

Quote from: ZCarFan on 15 May 2013, 09:07 PM

Just sayin'  ;)

I agree 100%... :-[

Casey

Quote from: JasonP on 18 May 2013, 12:06 AM
It looks like every other car on the road. I call it a Toyota. Every car looks like a Toyota.

LOL, that grille.

I don't think it looks like a Toyota.  I think it looks like a Hyundai.  And that interior looks rubbish - geez how large of computer displays does it need?

"The firm boasts it is the 'most advanced S-Class ever created', with the driver even able to choose any perfume he or she wishes circulating around the cabin via an atomiser in the air conditioning system."

Oh snap; who cares what it looks like - I gotta have it!

"The firm says the most frugal S300 BlueTec hybrid model will manage 64.2miles to the gallon."

Now that's really something, although the actual rating for the car is 53mpg.  Of course, the complications required to attain this kind of economy along with tight emissions controls along with a higher horsepower rating aren't insignificant.  I'd like to see them make something that looks a lot more like a W116 on the surface with all the new internals.  Some of them are pretty interesting though I'd take a pass on the perfume option.

oversize

I think MB needs to have a close look at RR, Bentley and Jaguar in the quest for improvements on what they currently offer (particularly the interiors)....  While the exterior is quite nice (but not perfect), the cabins seem low quality when compared to the others.  Now that Maybach has gone they should be able to focus on the S Class and make it the best saloon available.

At least their designs haven't been a train-wreck compared to that of BMW!!  Obviously MB is doing well judging by the number of new cars being released now and in the near future.
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)

adamb

I read that the wider grill is in response to the demands of Asian clients. The status aspect is quite important and the distinguishing grill and star are big reasons for purchasing. Just watch Lexus trying to do the same but Lexus just aren't cool enough for those customers. Bear in mind that Asia is a growing market where as North America and Europe are declining.

MB do make stylish cars - just look at the CLS. But for the top of the range S class they have to be conservative in terms of external presenation to appeal to buyers across the globe. I don't blame them. But, similarly, will not be buying one new.

Over here in the UK the depreciation on these cars is astronomic. After 10 years they are 7% of the original purchase price. There are no tax disinsentives either. I've been looking at early E55AMGs which can be picked up for the price of half-arsed respray on a W116. Awesome engines. Shame that they rust like Austin Alegros.

oversize

Well that explains a lot!  Tasteful and elegant they are not.....   :o ::)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)