News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

The level of Dutch madness

Started by floyd111, 10 September 2016, 03:23 AM

Diesel 617

I like the uniqueness of it, although it does feel very 70's American design with the squareness.
X3 1980 300SD Blown Heads, trans -Retired
1980 450SEL Parted out/Scrap
1980 450SEL to Diesel Parted Out/Scrap
1979 280SE Euro Spec Cloth Seats Sold
1979 300CD Daily Driver - Sold

Inventory of w116 Parts
[url="https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagepartsandstuff"]https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagepartsandstuff[/url]

Scotty

Rear half has a hint of 633CSI about it. Nothing harmonious about the front treatment, but all one offs have their lovers... witness the Docker Daimlers....

gf

The problem I suspect is the nose does not quite carry the theme of the side and back, the nose needs more "horizontal" maybe it's the stacked lights.

floyd111

Popped up at a car show in Germany..

w116john

karmann_20v

It reminds me of this monstrosity which was designed by Pininfarina (unfortunately):

floyd111

Scotty

Things - especially designs and music - come back into fashion (as opposed to style) every so often. There was a time where people wouldn't be seen near a Camargue - now values and desirability are on the up. Often designers have a particular client in mind when doing one offs. Their designs, like some albums, art and even ideology - become once again popular with a new audience or viewed through a mature eye. I view it this way: most modern cars are the 'least offensive' design, made to appeal to the masses for mass consumption and therefore profit. Customs, one offs and design 'experiments' are by their very nature pure exercises, as opposed to exercises in purity. So their initial appeal is always narrow, to gauge opinion or to express new elements in design philosophy. Sometimes they are the mark of a new designer trying to  break through. As a result they can be a polarising thing - either you love or loath. Anyway they are always interesting, talked about and critiqued by everyone who is ushered into their presence - and isn't that what  design is about?