News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

The death of a dear friend - my 1994 AWD Dodge Caravan

Started by John Hubertz, 22 May 2013, 01:02 PM

John Hubertz

Well, I'm sad to report that my 1994 Dodge Caravan AWD (all wheel drive) blew out the front transmission differential a couple of weeks ago.  This is the finest vehicle I've ever owned - bar none.  It was originally owned by a Chrysler executive, who sold it to a priest, who sold it to me.

189,000 on the odometer, 80,000 of those were mine - the best miles I've ever driven, and the traction was so good I could pull into the YARD when I needed to clear snow off my driveway....  Unstoppable.

It was stolen twice, recovered both times with no damage.  It carried me and my friends all over the state, and over half the country.  I paid $1800 for it 8 years ago and spent maybe $500 total in repairs during the entire time I had it. 

I'm afraid it is too far gone now... but it still looks good -

Here's a partial list of the issues that have crept up on it over the past couple of years:

roof rack leaks into headliner and drips when braking into passenger seat
cruise control inop
A/C loses freon
slight fuel leak at top of tank due to modified hoses from an earlier repair/smells of gas inside van
one rocker panel completely rusted off (invisible as it is under the plastic cladding)
headliner is coming down
radio is inoperative
driver's seat frame is cracked
rear differential is starting to hum
muffler is rusting out
headlights are almost too milky to see at night when driving
paint on bumpers and hood beginning to fade away from sun exposure
small cracks in bumper
engine oil pressure gets very low on hot days

Sadly, my wife decided to surprise me for my birthday and spent $700 on four brand new tires and front brakes (ouch!!) just last July.  It kills me to do it, but as I look at my list it is painfully clear this van isn't worth a $1350 investment for a new transmission assembly.

John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

ZCarFan

Sorry to hear of the loss.  Chrysler built some oddballs there for a while and they are rapidly disappearing.  Remember the turbo vans?

I have to ask though and please do not take offence, but who would steal a Caravan?  And TWICE???  :)  Is Ft. Wayne that bad?  We can leave the cars unlocked here and nothing happens.  The only time I heard someone worried about theft here was the guy driving a Dino 246 GT.

oversize

Quite unusual that it's 4WD but obviously makes it very handy.  I'd imaging the turning circle wouldn't be great and the fact it was stolen a couple of times doesn't say much about your area, or the cars security systems!
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P

John Hubertz

I'm a recovering drug addict - the vehicle was taken from me a couple times, not stolen off the street.   Still, stolen is stolen - and the way it always found its way home was amazing.

I haven't felt this way about losing a vehicle since I sold my first car, a 1951 Studebaker Champion.  It smoked like a barbecue and ran like a champ.  I cried when that one drove away....

Oh and PS:  Fort Wayne is not bad at all - it is great.  Even the people who steal cars are polite enough not to damage them; and the police like to mind their own business unless a person is driving like a madman.  Please don't get that impression.
John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

ZCarFan

Well... you mentioned it snows there already so even if the thieves are polite, count me out.  ;)

Snow is a bad word you know.