News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

The Audi's first track day....

Started by SELfor50, 22 June 2010, 10:52 PM

SELfor50

Wakefield park a couple weeks ago.
Best time was a 1m16.65... Was held up by a sh!tty 335 driver (twin turbo 3.0L) that was slow through all turns but would punt away down the straight..

Car was 100% stock with 95% bald road tyres.  Good benchmark to start.

....and no, I've not stopped racing with the Merc, it's just getting a few things done before the Winton outing next month.

Video 1
Video 2

oscar

That's awsome Cam, much better clarity too in the vid compared to last use of the camera.  And I don't know if it's coz of the lens but it looks like your getting really good speed.

So, what's your impressions of manual v auto?
1973 350SE, my first & fave

SELfor50

Quote from: oscar on 24 June 2010, 12:06 AM
That's awsome Cam, much better clarity too in the vid compared to last use of the camera.  And I don't know if it's coz of the lens but it looks like your getting really good speed.

So, what's your impressions of manual v auto?

Hard to say.. the time was about 3 secs a lap quicker than Ol' silver.. BUT, that was with a single spinner diff (not the locker) and a few other small things.
I think the 690SE will be very close to the Audi as it is 100% stock and might pip it on the right day with good tyres etc etc... could do better but I don't think there's much more than a 1m15 in the 690... mainly just the difference in braking and AWD vs the weight of the 690 and the RWD torquey car that requires feathering of throttle.
The Audi you can just punch on and push through the understeer.. other audi dudes reckon sway bars and this and that.. blah blah.. for laptimes.  But honestly with a simple ECU re-tune and R spec semi slicks.. I'm confident I'll be pulling times the same as the S3's and like that have been pretty worked all over (brakes / suspension / 220+AWKW's etc)..  I still prefer the 690, just because it's so much more fun to drive battling the oversteer etc... the Audi is fun being manual - BUT there's so much time in all corners cause you can just push through the under steer and it keeps gripping and pulling through the corner.

I'm still with Benz 100% for enjoyment... It would be quite easy to spend 10K on the Audi and smash laptimes outta the park.  The same money on the 6.9 won't get me as much time, but it'll be much more enjoyable.

I'm thinking now that had f*k all to do with Manual Vs Auto. :)   

Summary, Manual gearbox will be going into the 6.9.  ;)