News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

South African fuel price hike

Started by s class, 04 April 2007, 03:12 AM

s class

Well today our fuel price went up by 68 South African cents - thats an increase of about 12 percent, and brings the fuel price close to the US$1 per litre mark.  I know its still cheap by European standards, but our populace won't see it that way.  Its the biggest single increase in South African history. 

Experience tells me that its going to cause a sag in the price of the bigger less collectable benzes.  I expect the more ordinary 126's and C107's to be hit the hardest.  The R107's are considered more collectable and will not be affected so much.  116's are pretty much at the bottom of the depreciation curve anyway, so I doubt it will affect them much, though it will probably result in some grotty examples coming out of the woodwork - you know the ones that stand on the street corner marked 'for sale' - plenty of rot and worn engine. 

Ryan.  And no I don't think it will make the rusty 6.9 I saw any cheaper. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Nutz

Hah! Now you almost pay what I pay here , $ 3. 75 @ gallon for 92 octane ;D

Andrew116

In Romania for 95-98 octane is about US$ 1.4-1.6 for one litre. That's not cheap at all >:(

Martin 280s

I pay about R$2,45 (US$1.20) a litre for an alcohol/gasoline mix!

Martin 280s

And it costs me around R$250 a year in road tax and governmental compulsory insurance which you almost need to die to be able to apply for compensation! It's worth F**K all >:(.
It's not necessary to have any other kind of insurance, and as I've previously commented, Insurance companies don't want to know about old cars.
The main highways are toll roads here and they are astronomically expensive :o.   

WGB

Petrol here has been fluctuating because they tell us the local price is based on the Singapore Price.

I haven't purchased 98 recently but 95 is fluctuating between AUD$1.16 and AUD$1.34.

All Shell Service Stations in WA are allied to Coles (Supermarket Company) and if you produce a Grocery Receipt and buy a Newspaper they reduce the price by 6 cents a litre.

If you produce a receipt from one of their allied Liquor Stores they take 10 cents a litre off - pays to drink and drive.

98 is another 2 cents a litre or so dearer.

Works out about the standard US$1 per litre.

The biggest expense here is the State Stamp Duty which is paid once when the car is first purchased. Not a big problem with 116's as their value is less 9Feww hundred Dollars only) but once you get over the "Luxury Car Tax Limit" of about $60,000 it skyrockets.

I think the Stamp Duty on my ML was nearly $9,000 two months ago.

Bill

oscar

We're about $1.30 a litre (3.80USD/gal) for 98 but that was a few days ago before the predicted easter price markup.

You know how we have this hippy "earth hour" campaign at the moment, wouldn't it be good if effort was put into not buying fuel of any kind for a week.  It'll be more beneficial than earth hour but more importantly, the oil cartels will suffer.  Fuel doesn't have to be that expensive.  How much is Venezuelan fuel again?
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Tomi

Quote from: oscar on 04 April 2007, 11:14 AM
  How much is Venezuelan fuel again?

About 3 US cents a liter. A country were parking can be more expensive than filling the tank. Well, they are donating gas to poor people in US and UK. and thats quite funny.

Here on the other hand its 1.25 euros a litre  :o (and i dont wanna even count whats it in USD). Anyway it does not restrict the driving.
But the good news is that I pay an oldtimer insurance about 25 euros per year and no taxes or anything else.  8)