News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Sorry....I bought a W126 :)

Started by carl888, 12 August 2006, 07:22 PM

carl888

Well, I bought a car yesterday, and it's not a 116 I'm afraid!  I bought a 1982 280 SE from a deceased estate.  One owner, always garaged, up to date service history, all records, original radio, sales invoice, tools, spare tyre etc.  It's done 76,000 kms and I'm really happy with it.  I would have liked to find a good W116 however it just seems the cars available at the time were not to my liking.

I would like to thank all the people who gave their time so generously in my search, Styria (Thanks for the chat too), Oscar etc, I really appreciate all of your help.  I currently have two car projects that I'm assembling at the moment and I hope to have them completed by the end of the year.  When they are, I'm still really keen on a 6.9 so I think that will be my next project.

Don't forget to ask me if you have any tyre or alignment questions and I hope I can help out in the future with any advice.

Regards,

Carl.

oscar

Carl who  ???

:D :D

Just kidding, I hope you enjoy it.  I forgot to ask you before are you at liberty to divulge what are your other projects? no matter if you're not. 

Also on one of those sites eg carpoint etc, there's photos of a metallic blue 6.9 in Melb.  Did you ever check that one out? I'm not in a posi to buy but just curious to it's condition.  I always like to see what the market's dictating for 116's, especially when I do get round to buying a 6.9. PM me if you like.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

carl888

Hi Oscar,

I am currently assembling the engine and transmission on a 1976 Ferrari 308 GTB, it's a project that's gone on way too long but I hope by November it will be back on the road.  The other one is a transmission issue with a 1987 Porsche 911 Carrera.  This is a painful one, a small pin fell out of the gearbox allowing it to select second and third at the same time!  I hope to have that completed by the end of the month.  The Porsche is partcualty annoying as the car has only 108,000 kms on it from new....grrrrrrr.  Can send you some pics if you like, just PM me.

I called the seller of that 6.9 in Melbourne but they never returned my call (Like 50% of other people I called) I must sound horrid on the phone!

Regards,

Carl.

robertd

Hi Carl,
Good to hear you found a nice car, hope you have fun with it. I recently found a nice 280SE 116 That I  bought for a family member, Its quite stunning and I found it by accident 240,000 Kms but presents very fresh and drives like a limo. "fun and games"
Regards Robert
116   1978 450SEL 6.9 #  4848
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 5884
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 6225  SOLD
116   1978 450SEL  6.9 # 5128  SOLD
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 5884  SOLD
116   1974 450SEL  DJet

Denis

Don't feel bad Carl, the W126 is an  ...(Denis puts on his flamsuit, ok...) improved W116. Too bad they took off the style though ::) plus a dash of plastic vulgarity  :P and a few bad ideas like putting an aluminum plate behind the zebrano  :-[ and making the trunk smaller  >:( ...

Just do as I do : stay here and when you want to ask a question about the W126 280SE engine, just say : "my great M110 engine has a little problem..." and everybody will be happy  :P

Besides, we need to balance out those torque-intoxicated speed demons with big wallets known as 6.9 owners  ;) with our little engines that rev.

Enjoy

Denis

Paris, France

carl888

Hi Styria, Robert and Denis,

Thanks for the note and I appreciate all the advice freely given over my short time here, thank you Styria.   Tis forum is fantastic and I know it will grow and prosper.

Yes, the car is really nice, but so it should be, there is no excuse for a car of that mileage looking scruffy.  Denis, I had to laugh at your comments too :)

Robert, received your phone message last friday, sorry I was busy, I'll bring the car down your way soon and we can meet up, I'll give you a call first.

Regards,

Carl.