News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Sorry all, a W126 question.......is there a decent 126 forum?

Started by carl888, 08 August 2006, 04:57 AM

carl888

Sorry for the insult, and I promise I'll wash my mouth out with soap, but is there a W126 forum that's as friendly and helpful as this one?  Appreciate any info, thank you!

Regards,

Carl.

robertd

Hi Carl, I thought you were interested in buying a real car, if you want a plastic copy go to Toyworld I'm sure they will be able to help you. Regards Robertd 6.9
I have posted some pics of my 6.9's on the gallery in the showroom section, a preview for when you come to visit.
116   1978 450SEL 6.9 #  4848
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 5884
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 6225  SOLD
116   1978 450SEL  6.9 # 5128  SOLD
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 5884  SOLD
116   1974 450SEL  DJet

OzBenzHead

Carl:  There's a sub-forum http://forum.mbspares.com.au/viewforum.php?f=10 on Ozvets http://forum.mbspares.com.au/index.php. There aren't that many 126 posters there compared with other series, but it's a start - and they are enthusiastic.  You should find Ozvets of a similar friendly style to this forum.

No need for the mouth-rinsing exercise.   8)
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

carl888

Quote from: robertd on 08 August 2006, 06:56 AM
Hi Carl, I thought you were interested in buying a real car, if you want a plastic copy go to Toyworld I'm sure they will be able to help you. Regards Robertd 6.9
I have posted some pics of my 6.9's on the gallery in the showroom section, a preview for when you come to visit.

Hi Rob,

I am, but I'm seriously about to give up.  I've been looking for 6 months and I want a no stories car that's turn key with under 100,000 kms...................and I'm prepared to pay for it.  So far, all the cars I have seen bar two have been JUNK!  These last two have deferred maintainance issues that the owners are not being realistic about.  Will let you know when I'm down your way next and I'll pop in for a visit.

Regards,

Carl.

carl888

Quote from: OzBenzHead on 08 August 2006, 07:07 AM
Carl:  There's a sub-forum http://forum.mbspares.com.au/viewforum.php?f=10 on Ozvets http://forum.mbspares.com.au/index.php. There aren't that many 126 posters there compared with other series, but it's a start - and they are enthusiastic.  You should find Ozvets of a similar friendly style to this forum.

No need for the mouth-rinsing exercise.   8)

Well, thank you Gordon!  I'll have a look!

Regards,

Carl.

carl888

Quote from: Des on 08 August 2006, 07:15 AM
Hi Carl

Here are a few "real" Benzes that look good from the pictures:

http://carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=2486850&current_rec=5&used_rec=2&total_rec=9&sort_type=&total_rec=9&sort_type=&make_id=12&model_id=460

http://carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=2881221&current_rec=8&used_rec=2&total_rec=9&sort_type=&total_rec=9&sort_type=&make_id=12&model_id=460

Hi Des,

Thanks for that.  Yes, the gold car looks nice, except it's gold and I'm sorry if I offend anyone but it's a colour that is well, foul.......and I want less kms.  Crazy I know, but I've been playing with projects all my life and I just want a ripper car.

The others I've looked at is the blue 450 SEL in Sydney with 101,000 kms but it's mileage is completely unsubstatiated and the 60,000 km car in Ballina sounds OK but I called the seller and after being described as perfect I discovered it had an aftermarket exhaust and dash cracks.  For that money, it better have the correct exhaust and a perfect dash.  The hunt continues.....

Regards,

Carl.

Des

Hi Carl
Yes good 116's are as rare as hens teeth, remember there was only like 800,000 cars sold world wide compared to 2,500,000 W123's, even finding a good W123 is pretty hard, I kick myself in the head for selling my mint 230E. Not that I wanted the car, have too many already but to try and find another one like that would be impossable, steering was tight, original paint was as good as new, no scratches or blemishes, interior was not cracked or faded, underbonnet area was as new. Car drove and looked as good as the day it rolled out of the MB factory, only reason I sold her was because I am out of garage space and I have a W123 in lesser condition that can sit outside and use as a daily drive. That might sound silly I know, its just the way I feel about cars, you ether have mint condition cars inside or the bangers outside that you drive into the ground.

In my humble opinion hold out the search for a W116, yes the quality may have been there in the 560SEL's models as with the previous cars but they lack the classic style of the 70's benzes.

oscar

Hi carl,

Just so happens I know a bloke with a 560sel for sale.....  :D :D just bulsh*tting.  Got your message earlier, no probs.  I didn't realise that one was gold too btw :o , damn shame.  It'd be an interesting car if it was completed already.

As far as 126 forums go, I think theres a few sub-forums of larger forums such as MBWorld. I was hot for a 560 or 420 ages ago but never came across a dedicated forum.  Just now by guessing this: www.w126.org. A German s class club. There's a 116 movie trailer too. I'll put it in another thread.

If anyone thought 116's look classic yet modern, I thought that 126's had the ability even more so to blend in with a modern fleet of cars on a highway, despite their 20 odd year vintage.  They also have the added benefit of gadgetry, and electrical and remote inclusions that are still options in some brands today.  They missed out on the ugly, too straight line designing of mainstream US and Aus sedans of the 80's and kept the curves and angles that make them look like a benz. 

Before I go, 123's!  Many improvements over 116's from what I see other people say here and elsewhere.  Despite their credentials, IMO they equate to being the ugly not-so-well-known sibbling of the more famous one.   You know,, just like the other Baldwin brother , - not Alec.  ;D

1973 350SE, my first & fave

AMG69

Carl, I know someone in Perth who is considering selling a very nice 6.9.  Its a light metallic blue 6.9, Aussie Delivered, excellent condition with 150,000 gen kays; original log books. Cheers Chris

sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

carl888

Quote from: styria on 08 August 2006, 02:07 PM
Unfortunately, with the later 126's you then become subject to complexity and REALLY expensive parts, and unreliability.

You talk of maintenance/mileage issues with the 450 at Lindfield. Surely, it must show some promise having regard to the low mileage, and could you pin-point exactly what it was you didn't like ? Would an extra one or two thousand give you the car you would want ? This amount, invariably, is the premium you pay for a second hand car to get it into the condition that meets your desires and requirement.

Hi Styria,

Yes, I am aware about the issue with the series two W126's.  Personally, I was never that impressed with my dad's 380 SEL but his 420 was a ripper but I'm not prepared to pay that sort of money for a good one.  I'd be perfectly happy with a 280 SE W126, 280 SE W116, 450 SEL or a 450 SEL 6.9.  That's a pretty wide spread of cars so I know I'll find something.

The car at Lindfield that I inspected, as we discussed on the phone, the seats and door trims have the collapsed lining that is so common on these cars.  The paint was pretty average, especially on the rear and the car had those really annoying parking dents down the doors including some damage to the lower section of the PSR door.  There was evidence of shrinkage and a poor repair to the DSF section of the bonnet.  The worrying thing for me was that the owner, who seemed like a nice chap I have to say, could produce not one piece of evidence to suggest that the car had ever had any maintenance.  Whilst it showed 101,000 kms and IMO that was genuine but I couldn't be sure.  I can't believe that someone could own a car for 26 and not have anything, not even a small cash register receipt for at least an oil filter!  It did have really nice chrome and a stainless steel exhaust though which were attractive.

If we assume that the mileage is genuine but it has some deferred maintenance issues, lets see what we have to budget for.  The brakes showed no evidence of ever being bled.  So lets rebuild all four calipers, replace the master cylinder and brake hoses.  The coolant appeared to be plain water.  Now that could be trouble, big trouble.  May as well change the tailshaft rubber donut as that will be worn as well from what I've seen, throw a set of pads and discs on, an oil change, transmission oil change, air cleaner, fuel filter, plus, leads, rotor, cap, repaint the bonnet and tidy up the door dents and have all the carpets steam cleaned.  Then we start on the interior and remove all the door trims and seats to fix the underlay (They were revolting).  The tyres were near bald too, luckily I have 4 new XWX's here waiting!  So the $8K car has suddenly become a $14,000  car on the road.  That's a lot of coin and stuffing around for a car that may not even be genuine in it's 101,000 kms. 

I would have rather bought the 60,000 kms car that's advertised for $15,500 but when I called, the seller said it had a cracked dash.  I've pulled dash's out of my old 300D W123 and BMW 528i before and it was an experience I wish never to repeat!  That car is in Ballina so I won't even bother to make the trip to inspect unless the seller wants to lower the price or put in a new dash for me!

Sorry if I sound too fussy or unrealistic, I guess I'm just tired of looking at cars that are described as perfect and they are not.

Regards,

Carl.

carl888

Quote from: AMG69 on 08 August 2006, 11:58 PM
Carl, I know someone in Perth who is considering selling a very nice 6.9.  Its a light metallic blue 6.9, Aussie Delivered, excellent condition with 150,000 gen kays; original log books. Cheers Chris

Thanks Chris,

Mileage is a bit more than what I'd like but hey, it's really nominal on an engine like that.  Car looks interesting, nice colour too.  Do you have any contact details?

Regards,

Carl.