News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Some pics of your garage?

Started by carl888, 16 January 2011, 06:40 AM

thysonsacclaim

TJ,

My curiosity is piqued. What is that car in your first pic, to the far left? It looks like an MB logo there?

S Class,

I'm jealous  ;) You have a half dozen or more MBs, man!

There is some consolation for me, though. My family had complained, jokingly, that our driveway looks like 'Sanford and Son' because of all the cars (6--though only 1 is REALLY mine)  8) and all the car work people see done at the house. We live very close to the sidewalk in the city.

s class

Quote from: thysonsacclaim on 21 January 2011, 01:03 PM
S Class,

I'm jealous  ;) You have a half dozen or more MBs, man!

Actually there's more.  I have a carport around back with the 450SL etc. 

But, I must be honest.  There are about a dozen MB's on my property at the moment, but not all are mine.  Some belong to club members I'm assisting, including that magnificent low-miles white W116 280S, the very nice blue W126 500SE and the W123 getting some chassis straightening. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Type17

Quote from: thysonsacclaim on 21 January 2011, 01:03 PM
TJ,

My curiosity is piqued. What is that car in your first pic, to the far left? It looks like an MB logo there?

It's a Mercedes A-Class - I never realised that they never got marketed in the US - Wikipedia page
'76 350SE in Silver-Green

ponton

we don't have the a or b here

vlv8vic

Thought I might add a few of mine.
Our property is pretty steep and is in the middle of the city (despite the roaming chickens!) with rear access.  The top of the garage is a typical double (maybe a fraction wider than normal) and the bottom, dubbed the dungeon, is accessed from below.
Have a full length pit on one side and a half length pit on the other, joined by a reasonable workshop under the cars.  Only issue is getting from the car to the underside of the car which requires a walk right around the garage and back in the door.  I'm getting fitter at least.....
Ocean views from the top of the garage, not from the house  ::)

Inside the garage at street level:

Garage at a level below the street, workshop access:

Pit/workshop area (a level below the garage but still a full storey above the house....

KenM

That's some pit Japes, is that an unfinished lift for inside the house?

vlv8vic

Quote from: KenM on 21 January 2011, 10:53 PM
That's some pit Japes, is that an unfinished lift for inside the house?

'tis fairly handy.  The garage is quite a distance from the house so no lifts.  Garage would have been built in the 80s and the house dates back to something like 1890.  We were lucky to get such a block so close to the CBD.

Tony66_au

A real diversity in sheds and workshops here!

Hey Japes, do you mean City as in Melbourne CBD or Warrnambool township mate?

vlv8vic

Lol City as in Warrnambool CBD.  If it were Melb CBD I'd have sold part of my soul to get it... if it still exists!!!

thysonsacclaim

Japes,

Nice car color (Gold, mine is the same color  8) )

Also... second picture... orange thing on sidewalk ramp. Is that a chicken? Kind of hard to tell. Maybe it's a plant.

I use to live on a farm. I miss it a lot--lots of land. Where I live, they consider 1-3 acres to be a lot of land. That measurement sounds even WORSE in hectares... one acre is less than half a hectare  >:( I live on 2.6 acres, only some of it is usable since we are on a slope.

I guess to feel better, we land deprived people in cities could measure our land in square centimeters or inches.

This is my backyard, standing from the edge of the last bit of usable land:

In the bottom of this picture, those are the tops of trees. The backyard has about a 20 foot area which is flat, which starts at the end of the house. At the end of this 20 feet, it descends into this 'lake,' which is actually an ancient (hopefully inactive) sinkhole. It is about 120 feet deep. I measured the angle of this slope once to be about 45 degrees.

We are in the process of eliminating this slope by using fill dirt and creating a reinforced 'sea-wall' near the edge of the lake to give us more land that can be used. We have, so far, used 20 dump truck loads of dirt at $180 / load. It will take around 100 total to fill this void, and we may decide to bury a few shipping containers in this for extra storage, and because volume-wise, they are cheaper than dirt. A 40 ft container starts around $1200 here. The biggest challenge would be craning these containers in and ensuring they sit level.

Tony66_au

Quote from: Japes on 22 January 2011, 08:10 PM
Lol City as in Warrnambool CBD.  If it were Melb CBD I'd have sold part of my soul to get it... if it still exists!!!

LOL yeah I thought so, If you dig too deep in the Melbourne CBD you get massive water issues anyway which was why I was wondering.

Its an interesting layout you have and Id give my right nut for a "Pit" but I too have water issues as the one I started digging in the house paddock filled with water very quickly and I couldn't pump t out fast enough to shore it up lol

So  hoist it will be.

vlv8vic

Thyson, yep it's a chicken.  Should be three of them digging around somewhere.  Besides the eggs they are an endless source of entertainment and much better security than a dog.  The neighbour's kids were just inside our back gate pinching apricots from our tree, the kids were wearing thongs (flip-flops?) and the chooks thought their little toes looked more like yummy little grubs.  Screams were hysterical.
Love the shipping crate idea, and what a view!!!  Central living is great but i often crave something like your backyard and continuation.

Tony,
Water issues are no problem at all on our hill, as i said the house is a full storey below the workshop (further to the front of the block, and we have a wine cellar which has never had any moisture ingress at all.  If you could line all of them up on top of each other it'd be a four-storey build.  It's also a block whereby just looking at the lawnmower gives me back pains....
I'd still love a hoist though, there are jobs I've done where i have to put my platform over the pit and jack the car up to remove wheels etc and it can be a touch awkward at times.

inc13

Here is one of my garages (i got 2 garages)

Before remake

After

Big_Richard

god damn it, this post is making me want to build a shed!

thysonsacclaim

Why not just build two or three?  ;)

I'm still seriously considering buying a few shipping containers and welding them together  8)