News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Sadly without Max, returned to the fountain of wisdom with a problem on my C280

Started by John Hubertz, 21 December 2009, 05:24 PM

John Hubertz

Hi all,

Couldn't resist posting this here as I sure miss the forum.

I've had my eye on a 1978 450SEL 6.9 near here - so  maybe by next summer I can rejoin the w116 ranks with pride.

Right now I have a real doozy of a problem on my 1999 C280:

Hi all,

1999 c280 United States specification

109,000 miles

Today suddenly the driver's side window refused to work (key on or position 1) and a check of fuses 7 and 8 under the hood revealed no problem.

So, i tried the infrared for all windows - nothing!  The sunroof and all four windows were inop!!  (they work manually however - just the driver's window is inop from inside the car)

Then I used the metal blade key - it operates ONLY the driver's side window...  not the sunroof or other three!!!  :eek:

What a mystery?  Any suggestions on this odd problem?

btw - once in a rare while the driver's door seat electrics are inoperative for a couple of miles..... but as I said, not a common problem.

John Hubertz
Indiana USA
John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

Big_Richard

Welcome back Max, What ever happend to your 450SEL ?

as for your C280, NFI, sounds like a failing control unit or relay, but i know nothing about that model car at all ;)

WGB

The circuit board in the door switches for the seat control crack.

The Bentley Publications collection of technical articles tells you how to repair it.

As Major Tom says you probably have a relay problem but I would try a good diagnostician.

Is 1999 too early for the body computer diagnostics?

Bill

s class

You should ber able to get a diagnostic readout.  It will save you a lot of stuffing around.  It sounds to me like a problem with the comfort control relay.  Either its failed, or its brains are scrambled and it needs a hard reset.

Is this a W202 or a W203?  If its anything like the W140, there is a fusebox in the trunk.  find the master fuse for the fuesbox, or if there isn't one, the fuse for the confort control relay, or labelled IR locks, or windows or some such, and remove it (or all the relevant ones) for a minute or so, and then reinsert carefully.  This will give the module a hard reset. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

John Hubertz

OMG I forgot how much support this site offers (not to mention my dear friends - all and sundry)

I posted this question on TWO separate W202 forums

Nobody has answered there yet, and oh yes, not only do I get an enthusiastic handful of replies here, but the FIX is IN

(hard reset of body computer via disconnection of negative battery cable)

If the problem recurs I'll probably do a thorough scrubbing of all EIGHT yes EIGHT fuses tied into this circuit, then start jimmying things like circuit boards and switches.

Thanks all - and it is nice to still be on the "w116 emeritus" roles as a fellow enthusiast.

(lifts an upside-down beer to the far west-southwest)

Happy Holidays to all!

John H
Indiana

PS:  Max sold in August for a paltry $1500 USA as I simply needed the fundage for my upcoming wedding.  I'd bought a very very very clean 1981 Lincoln but it was a poor and unloveable replacement, and I resold it a couple months later.

Needless to say I'm in the market - my ideal would be a Euro-specification 450SEL 1976 or newer, or a 300SD in clean condiition....  but the Euro spec 6.9 in town here for just $6500 is a really clean perfectly original car....  and if I can scrape up the cash by spring it might just fit the bill.

JH

John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

WGB