News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

RHD 560 SEL on U.S. shores

Started by MB_Mike, 01 September 2012, 06:30 AM

MB_Mike

I came across a RHD 560 SEL for sale online and decided I had to have it, even if just to break it for spares.

Its pretty rusty with a hole under the rear windscreen, just like TJs. It's had a bodge paint job and looks like it was done with no masking, in a windstorm with a rattle can of silver paint.

The car was also involved in a flood and there was no paperwork  :'(

Anyway, I thought it would be interesting to share because of the unique fact of it being a RHD.

1987 Home market 560 SEL

Big_Richard

MB_Mike

Hi MT,

Yes, it is legal. It would make a great vehicle for the rural postal carrier  ;)

I spoke to the original owner about 2 or 3 years ago when it was posted for sale then. He was from England and brought it over with him. I decided I wasn't interested at the time. Apparently it was then involved in a flood and purchased by the fellow that I got it from.
1987 Home market 560 SEL

Big_Richard

MB_Mike

I'm not sure what the flood damage involved. The fellow I bought it from claims to not known about this but I discovered it by Google-ing the vin

http://www.ridesafely.com/Inventory.aspx?InventoryID=1109177102

It does look very decent honestly and I know I am a bit spoiled compared to some projects I have seen on here.
1987 Home market 560 SEL

MB_Mike

Oh, and it does seem to run and drive well. Although I have only driven it on and off the trailer and around the driveway.
1987 Home market 560 SEL

TJ 450

It certainly looks quite tidy indeed.

I assume it has conventional suspension, but the ECE engine?

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

MB_Mike

Conventional suspension in terms of a 560, rear SLS and springs up front.

After 9/87 they did away with the ECE moniker, so this is still 300hp but called RUF.
1987 Home market 560 SEL

Casey

Yeah they're legal, and will inspire conversations wherever you go.  Have fun with it!  8)