News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Restoration, done right

Started by ptashek, 14 April 2019, 06:11 PM

ptashek

Not a W116, but a Russian "Wolga" (GAZ-24) restored the right way.
What mattered got done, but plenty got left as it was.

Nearly 50 minutes long, it's time well worth spending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUYzRKKMIgE
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

marku

That's the debate now. Restore or preserve. So many classic vehicles are so much better now than when they were new. Always a temptation to do the best possible and replace everything with new. And the paint finishes of course. You see so many now with with finishes and colour so deep you wonder how thick it is. Lots of talk now about preserving the history of the vehicle and its life which means showing wear. We all want a car that looks fantastic but where do you stop? 
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

ptashek

Quote from: marku on 03 May 2019, 05:36 AM
That's the debate now. Restore or preserve. So many classic vehicles are so much better now than when they were new. Always a temptation to do the best possible and replace everything with new. And the paint finishes of course. You see so many now with with finishes and colour so deep you wonder how thick it is. Lots of talk now about preserving the history of the vehicle and its life which means showing wear. We all want a car that looks fantastic but where do you stop?

I'd say that if the car is used after a restoration, it acquires new history, new wear, new patina while being safe to enjoy for many years to come.

In my case not going "full out" on everything was a question of budget. For some it's a question of preservation. But at least as far as body work is concerned I think "all out" is the only right way to do it.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

marku

Have been listening to people in the business who are increasingly talking about limits in restoration of classic cars and serious consideration being given to maintaining the cars origins and its visible use.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof