News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Realistically your next car....

Started by Des, 10 January 2008, 09:50 PM

Des

For your next car, realistically what would you like it to be?
Has to be something you can/could actually afford.

Well I am waiting patientally for my TT to arrive, 2 weeks I am told

Can't wait for that

I am looking ahead, not sure how long I will keep it for, for me I would like a RR Shadow

I've also always wanted an early Mercedes, maybe a 170V

So what about you?

:) Des

Brian Crump

Dear Des,
Realistically my next every-day car will be an ML - or equivalent when the time comes. The current ML has only just turned over 59,000kms and I expect it to achieve 250,000 before it is allowed to retire. It does its job admirably.
However, my next 'other' car will be a Bentley MkVI or Type R manual. That may be as early as next week.  ;D ;D ;D
On the other hand, I sometimes come across cars that attract my attention and there is no reason why an impulse buy will not occur - so long as it is in the lower price range. The Spirit was in the upper price range and was a carefully considered and calculated purchase and will not be moving - and that is a different scenario.
This sunday the Lancia goes to its new owner but that still does not leave a garage space.  :(
I did recently haggle with the seller of a 170 and we finally called it quits over the last $1000 - but where would I have garaged it? Mechanically it was good and needed only paint and upholstery to make it into a show car - and I would have taken it to Michel and Parks had the sale not been so difficult. In reality, the seller did not want to sell but there was someone in the background wanting to clear her driveway.....
When your TT arrives I expect you will be so delighted with it that it stay for a very long time.
Regards,
BC

Des

Dear Brian
what other cars do you have other than the ones listed in your signature?

You also have a fancy for a 170?
I have wanted one for years, haven't really looked for one, there is the 2 that John Green has had for sale now for nearly 2 years.
The odd one has popped up on ebay, can't recall anytihng else I have seen.

Brian Crump

Quote from: Des on 10 January 2008, 10:43 PM
Dear Brian
what other cars do you have other than the ones listed in your signature?

You also have a fancy for a 170?
I have wanted one for years, haven't really looked for one, there is the 2 that John Green has had for sale now for nearly 2 years.
The odd one has popped up on ebay, can't recall anytihng else I have seen.

As of this weekend, with the departure of the Lancia, the signature list is the complete list.  :(
The 170 that interested me was through the MB club here in Sydney. My partner has a hankering for a canvas-topped tourer so that may happen...
Regards,
BC

Brian Crump

We have discussed this 300 once before, I believe. Yes, it did have a metal roof.

What my partner has in mind is something like:

Regards,
BC

CraigS

The 300 is owned by an antique shop, and they bought the car at auction several years ago. The price is reasonable, but infortunately it has no value as a collector car, having been cut down from a sedan.
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

SELfor50

That 300 is pimpin!!  It would get the chicks, that's for sure..  ;D

My next vehicle will be a hybrid of some sort...  And no, i'm not talking bout those sh!tbox energy saving cars.

And then after that, a 6.9 hopefully.   :)

Mercules

Sounds interesting Cam - can't wait to see your hybrid.

For me? The very second that funds permit...

R33 GTS-T Skyline - I couldn't care less what the rest of you think!

bb

Thats both easy and difficult for me to answer. I will be buying two cars this year.

The easy answer: A 450SE/SEL/SEL 6.9. Something that is either already in bloody good nick or something that isn't far off and will be brought up to scratch.

The hard answer: My daily driver Falcon gets retired in July. Absolutely NFI what I will replace it with.

oscar

Quote from: bb on 11 January 2008, 03:59 AM
My daily driver Falcon gets retired in July. Absolutely NFI what I will replace it with.

A Tata Nano  :D  Man what a death trap. A $3000AUD coffin IMO!!

Quote from: Des on 10 January 2008, 09:50 PM
For your next car, realistically what would you like it to be?

A shaguar baby! Yeeeah. 

When Bahnstormer posted a thread ages ago about wanting a shaguar, it reminded me how much I've loved the Jag shape since I was a kid.  Just didn't admit it.  Earlier in the week after exhausting every website looking for w116's for sale, looking for that odd or pristine example, I started to dream and went browsing the other makes.  First the Italian's, if only I had the $ 8), but then went to the Jag sections.  XJS 5.3L V12 coupes seem extremely affordable and I hear Jag's are extrememly reliable and cheap to maintain  ::) A cabriolet I'd prefer but too much $ for me.  A 4 round headlight type V12 soverign has got the looks and if under $10k I'd think about but I wanna coupe >:( ;D Maybe I should just keep saving me pocket money for a 280ce.

1973 350SE, my first & fave

CraigS

But no worse than their motorised rickshaws !

Renault also has one on the drawing board, for a similar price. When asked if it could be sold in Europe, Carlos Ghosn said that it would not be practical as it doesn't have air bags, etc. etc. In other words, it would not meet design regulations for safety.
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

Des

Quote from: oscar on 11 January 2008, 09:30 AM
but then went to the Jag sections.  XJS 5.3L V12 coupes seem extremely affordable and I hear Jag's are extrememly reliable and cheap to maintain  ::)

I too love old Jag's, its that slippery smooth bodywork that lures you in.

Different people I have chatted to about them say they are dogs to work on, especally the V12 and the wiring is a big issue, basically all the electrical connectors will corrode up and need to be replced. You can also have problems with the poor quality rubber bushes in the steering, suspension etc...

Andrew280SEL

It might sound boring, but right now I'm not even thinking about other cars. I just want to spend money improving my W116's. :)
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

SELfor50

Skyline's a good choice cam, but I thought a man like you would go for the GTR?!
I've been in both, and the GTR V-spec KILLED it!!!!!!  I'm sure you know this, so i'm guessing there's a specific reason you're aiming at the GTS-T.

Jag's are sweet, purely for the V12 size engine!  Can never have too much engine capacity.   ;D